Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 4:43:52 AM EDT
   I am just plain sick and tired of these damn fundraisers that the gov't schools keep passing out to us parents.  I realize that it is not a requirement to buy anything,but the kids don't see it that way. Things are not good at work,so my coworkers are reluctant to purchase anything. Family doesn't have any need for the crap they want us to sell either.You can imagine how many fundraisers we have already had, since we have 4 kids living with us. Already, we have had 2 school fundraises for each child,and that doesn't include activities outside of school. (Karate, Boy Scouts). We still have 7 boxes of Popcorn left over from Boy Scouts alone!
    Last night, my son hands me an order form from band to sell cookie dough. 3 pound buckets! Who on God's green Earth is going to buy that at $12.00 a pop? If I am lucky,I may sell 2 or 3. He told me his goal is to sell 13 of them. That just will not happen,with all his homework,activities and etc.....What I really have a problem with, is  that I have already paid for his uniform,instrument,etc already. The ex doesn't pay child support,doesn't purchase anything, and refuses to be involved in any way,so it's all up to me. Maybe I should put the teachers names down on the order form.... and in early March, when the order arrives....Uhhh, Ms. Fletcher,Your order is here!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:51:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Its no better in the private schools. I pay $550 a month in tuition and they still ding us for the cookie dough or candy sales, the booster club ticket sales, benefit auction participation..... until this year you had to participate in the Bingo nights or pay your way out of  THAT. They finally made it so you dont have to do that but that if you do, they deduct from the tuition....
Edit to add: participation in most of these things is mandatory and they make you pay extra cash if you want to opt out of participating.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:58:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Fundraisers are for wants not needs.  Participation is voluntary for the student and the parent as well (or should be).  If you feel strongly about the volume of fundraisers speak to the adviser or the building admin/principal. Do not for one minute believe that advisers enjoy these projects as they require extra effort and are a nightmare to complete.  What is the school's policy on fundraisers? Who authorizes them?  Is there a chec/balance against funds raised and expenditures?  What is the express purpose of the event and is it stated clearly? What outside agency/company profits from the event (and don't believe for a second that a majority of the funds go to the school). Once you get the answer(s) to these questions, or others that you may feel the need to ask, speak to the board of education and get their postition on these types of activities. Do they meet the goals and objectives of the school district?  Have there been any limits placed on amount or types of fundrtiasers? Is there a set dollar amount that can be collected overall?  What link is there between the dollars raised and the needs/wants of the program and is there another means to reach the same goal(s).
Finally, your child is involved in these activities because he/she receives some intrinsic and extrinsic rewards from participation.  Make sure that the outcomes of the activity actually are beneficial and then support your child completely. One day they may just thank you and that will be enough.

JM2CW
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:01:27 AM EDT
[#3]
If you live in FL, I might be able to help you get some child support activity (if you want it).

The ex doesn't pay child support,doesn't purchase anything, and refuses to be involved in any way,so it's all up to me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup.... The schools think that parents have a money tree orchard growing in their back yard. A car wash on the weekend or something similar, is better because it exposes a much greater # of people, and the kids can actually DO something to raise money for their activities....Not to mention the fact that they will learn  to appreciate that work can be fun and rewarding! Parent's need to be involved,but shouldn't be solely responsible to sell junk that almost noone wants.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:14:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Unfortunately for me, I don't live in FL. I also signed a paper telling her that she doesn't have to pay C/S. I did it for my boys.....And i wouldn't complain, if she would go to an activity, or participate in some way in their lives. She is a devil's angel, and is the biggest hippocrite, and self centered lier i have ever known. Thanks for the help though!!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:15:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm glad my workplace has banned all fundraising activites not related to the Combined Federal Campaign. Only problem? The Girl Scouts skipped my house last year so now I'm cookie-less.

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top