Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 9:35:42 PM EDT
I know the debate on magazine spring wear goes one of two ways. One person will say it's bad to leave magazines with ammo in them for a long period of time. Another person will say the only way a magazine spring is worn out is my repeated compression and release.

I've seen the ugly debates with the shit-flinging and name-calling but never was able to determine what the correct answer was.

Hopefully without igniting a shitstorm, does anyone know?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#1]
it is from cycling, I left magazines loaded for 7 months in bosnia, then used the same mags a few years later in Iraq, where one of them was left loaded for almost 10 months straight, no problems with it I still use it to this day
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Experts in spring wear and engineers mostly agree that it is repeated compression and release that causes spring fatigue, NOT constant compression.

The only compression problem can come from OVER compression of a spring.  in other words, if you were to load 30 rounds in an AR mag, then jam something in there extra that put extra pressure on the spring, you could eventually have some problems... but who would do something like that?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I know the debate on magazine spring wear goes one of two ways. One person will say it's bad to leave magazines with ammo in them for a long period of time. Another person will say the only way a magazine spring is worn out is my repeated compression and release.

I've seen the ugly debates with the shit-flinging and name-calling but never was able to determine what the correct answer was.

Hopefully without igniting a shitstorm, does anyone know?

No.

Much like 'how many licks does it take to get to the center of tootsie roll tootsie pop', man is not meant to know the answer to this question.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Alrighty, sounds good.

I'm heading off back to college in a few days for another 6 months and was planning on filling all of my magazines for preparedness when I get back. Even when I did return some of them would likely remain full for a number of months, even years......sounds like I don't have anything to worry about.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got pistol magazines that have been left loaded for at least 15 years--no problem at all when I use them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it depends on the particular mag, one of my 1911 mags had a dead spring after being left loaded for a couple years, yet others were fine.

A few months should be no problem unless its a junk mag to begain with.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:08:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:11:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Alrighty, sounds good.

I'm heading off back to college in a few days for another 6 months and was planning on filling all of my magazines for preparedness when I get back. Even when I did return some of them would likely remain full for a number of months, even years......sounds like I don't have anything to worry about.

You have the right answer. As I recall, LTC Chuck Santos had some 20 or 30 round mags stored loaded for 20-something years after bringing them back from Viet Nam, and they worked just fine. He used to post here but I haven't seen him around in awhile.

hell people have been known to find ole grandpa's 45 from wwII and the mags still work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top