Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/12/2006 6:22:31 PM EDT
Good evening and welcome to the ask the Gunsmith show.. Im Fat_McNasty your host for tonight.. I have been in the gun smithing business for the last 16 years.. And have in those years worked on damn near anything and everything..

So the lines are now open for your Questions..

Caller #1....
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#1]
how can I thread the barrel of my 10/22 for 1/2"x28 with a drill press, a dremel, a small file and a few screwdrivers?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do Glocks kaboom?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
how can I thread the barrel of my 10/22 for 1/2"x28 with a drill press, a dremel, a small file and a few screwdrivers?

Well you need to get one of these to add to your drill... Linky poo
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this like the old program "Ask Sarge"?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why do Glocks kaboom?

Because god hates them....
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]
What is the simplest way to put the pins through an AR15's FCG?

What is a good way to put the receiver pin detent spring & pin in without shooting them all over the room?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#7]
how hard is it to change an extractor in a firestorm 1911
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#8]
do all gunsmith apprentices work for free
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Is this like the old program "Ask Sarge"?

In a way yes, but with real answers...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I am interested in getting a McMillian A5 stock, however... I don't want to change the barrel of my Remmy 700 VS just yet, as it has another thousand or so rounds that I want to put through, before I change it.

I understand that you have to custom make the mcmillian to match the specs of the barrel, how much of a pain in the ass would it be to change the barrel on the mcmillian, once I am through with the old one? Is it not possible?

And... did that make any bit of sense?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I have Meprolights for my USP compact. Is there a way to self install them without messing up the finish and without an HK sight pusher? I have various tools.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I've heard that left hand rifling is more accurate than right hand rifling, and that all the Delta Force Snipers use LH too.  Is it true that LH is more accurate than RH???  Can I change my Bushy M4 to have both?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

What is a good way to put the receiver pin detent spring & pin in without shooting them all over the room?

Get a set of small philips screwdrives and grind the end to a ball. Use this to push through the hole and line up then push teh pin through.. You use the ball screwdrive to line it up..

Detent spring... small jewlers screwdriver works wonders..
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
do all gunsmith apprentices work for free

No.... They usully pay the smith...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well you need to get one of these to add to your drill... Linky poo

yeah I was playing with one of those earlier today, dont think it would fit in my apartment
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a set of small philips screwdrives and grind the end to a ball. Use this to push through the hole and line up then push teh pin through.. You use the ball screwdrive to line it up..

Detent spring... small jewlers screwdriver works wonders..

Thank you sir. I will do as you suggested.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an H&R youth model .410 single shot and I had to have the firing pin and a spring replaced.  I  paid $60. Did I get ripped off ?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
how hard is it to change an extractor in a firestorm 1911

Not hard at all..
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have Meprolights for my USP compact. Is there a way to self install them without messing up the finish and without an HK sight pusher? I have various tools.

Brass hammer and brass punch are the way to go... while looking at the rear.. go from left to right taking the site off..
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Dan Wesson model 15 in 357 Mag that will only fire reliably in single action mode, when you attempt to fire it in double action, you get weird light hits on the primer, instead of them being in the middle if the primer like they should be, they are on the outside edge almost into the case.  I took it apart, I found one broken connector spring, which I have ordered from Numrich now,  that still doesnt explain the weird primer hits though, because the firing pin isnt broken and everything else is also intact. Any ideas as to what would cause the odd primer hits

ETA: Mainspring was replaced about 1 month ago, in single action this doesnt occur and it fires normally.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:36:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brass hammer and brass punch are the way to go... while looking at the rear.. go from left to right taking the site off..

Thanks, Fat; I'll let you know how it goes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#22]
today i was working for the local gunsmith and he had me put together a model 459 with a book, why the hell did smith and wesson make such a pain in the ass of a gun
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I purchased a Kimber 1911 with adjustable sights.  I want to change them to fixed sights and have been told that I need a new slide.  Is this true?  If not, who has the proper fixed sights?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#24]
The bolt on my SKS jams itself between the locking lug on the receiver and the bolt carrier when shot not allowing it to cycle but insted jamming solid. Whats the best way to rectify this problem for cheap?

I have determined this is the problem by adding a few layers of tape to my bolt carrier to push the bolt down furter on the locking lug and shooting, the rifle then cycles but the tape jams everything up after a few shots.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I am interested in getting a McMillian A5 stock, however... I don't want to change the barrel of my Remmy 700 VS just yet, as it has another thousand or so rounds that I want to put through, before I change it.

I understand that you have to custom make the mcmillian to match the specs of the barrel, how much of a pain in the ass would it be to change the barrel on the mcmillian, once I am through with the old one? Is it not possible?

And... did that make any bit of sense?

Your wanting to change the barrel channel size in the stock after you shoot out the old one right??

Not hard at all with a set of channel scrappers, and some printers ink and alignment pins....

Or just order the new barrel with the same conture as the old one..
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I really want to learn how to be a 1911 gunsmith. How do I get started? Is there a school somewhere that can teach me how to do this, or do I have to become an apprentice? Is it expensive to aquire these skills? Is it hard to get into the business?
Any info would be great.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Will you transfer a new HK barrel onto my shot out HK91 for a reasonable $25 flat fee?

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Which is better, WOLF or Silver Bear ammo in my 1-14" twist SP1 with a wore out chamber, no throat left, and practically swallows a "NOGO" gauge.
The last time I was at the range, I could not get it zeroed at 50 yds. The cases kept exploding and I had to use my ram rod and chamber brush to get the broken shells out.
Groups were about 3 feet in Diameter with a scope and sandbagged.
Any Suggestions?
TS
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I've heard that left hand rifling is more accurate than right hand rifling, and that all the Delta Force Snipers use LH too.  Is it true that LH is more accurate than RH???  Can I change my Bushy M4 to have both?

no.. LH is for the southern Hemisphere and the RH is for northern Hemisphere
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Kind of gun related.

Does a frog have a water tight asshole.
( and then you shoot it with a Glock and roundnose lead ammo) < to make it a gun question.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I have an H&R youth model .410 single shot and I had to have the firing pin and a spring replaced.  I  paid $60. Did I get ripped off ?

Depending on the area your at.. That is about right..
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

really!? So do I have to swap out barrels if I want to go hunting in south africa?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I have a Dan Wesson model 15 in 357 Mag that will only fire reliably in single action mode, when you attempt to fire it in double action, you get weird light hits on the primer, instead of them being in the middle if the primer like they should be, they are on the outside edge almost into the case.  I took it apart, I found one broken connector spring, which I have ordered from Numrich now,  that still doesnt explain the weird primer hits though, because the firing pin isnt broken and everything else is also intact. Any ideas as to what would cause the odd primer hits

ETA: Mainspring was replaced about 1 month ago, in single action this doesnt occur and it fires normally.

This is one I would have to say take it to a smith.. Something is not right.. Timing might be way off..
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
today i was working for the local gunsmith and he had me put together a model 459 with a book, why the hell did smith and wesson make such a pain in the ass of a gun

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH!!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

really!? So do I have to swap out barrels if I want to go hunting in south africa?

My dad went hunting in South Africa two years ago, A 30.06 round almost took his head off when it reversed direction after leaving the barrel. Luckily it only hit one of the local trackers
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I purchased a Kimber 1911 with adjustable sights.  I want to change them to fixed sights and have been told that I need a new slide.  Is this true?  If not, who has the proper fixed sights?

Looks like a millet.. Consult the book of brownells and see if they have a fixed version of there adj one..
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I just got a Browning Hi Power.

Is there any way to reduce the distance required to achieve "trigger reset" on the gun?  (i.e., it seems to take a LOT more lenght  of "release" in order to reconnect the trigger on this pistol).

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Do you need a buttstock wrench to replace buttstocks on an AR?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The bolt on my SKS jams itself between the locking lug on the receiver and the bolt carrier when shot not allowing it to cycle but insted jamming solid. Whats the best way to rectify this problem for cheap?

I have determined this is the problem by adding a few layers of tape to my bolt carrier to push the bolt down furter on the locking lug and shooting, the rifle then cycles but the tape jams everything up after a few shots.

Id have to see this one.. Have you been bump firing it alot?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Will you transfer a new HK barrel onto my shot out HK91 for a reasonable $25 flat fee?

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAH! If you bring pizza and beer!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Here's one for you: what kind of equipment do I need to remove the bull barrel from a Ruger .22 pistol?

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Okay Mister McNasty. let's see how deep your well of knowledge is. My wife's grandfather past away and I came into possesion of his shotgun. It is a dbl bbl side-by-side w/ dbl triggers, on the left side of the reciever it reads "Occidental" and on the right it reads "The Interchangeable". The right hammer is missing the screw that keeps it in place and the left hammer will not lock into the fireing position. It also reads along the rib between the bbls " Belgium".

What can you tell me about this gun?

Is there any way to get replacement parts?

Is it worth trying to fix?

How can I determine if it is safe to fire if I do manage to get it fixed?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I really want to learn how to be a 1911 gunsmith. How do I get started? Is there a school somewhere that can teach me how to do this, or do I have to become an apprentice? Is it expensive to aquire these skills? Is it hard to get into the business?
Any info would be great.

Get some books..
AGI vids are ok. apprentice is better
No.. Well ya.. Lots of custom tools.
And yes.. Well unless your good..

But you have to remember that the design of Mr Browning is handed down from god, And he dont like hacks dicking his stuff up..
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Which is better, WOLF or Silver Bear ammo in my 1-14" twist SP1 with a wore out chamber, no throat left, and practically swallows a "NOGO" gauge.
The last time I was at the range, I could not get it zeroed at 50 yds. The cases kept exploding and I had to use my ram rod and chamber brush to get the broken shells out.
Groups were about 3 feet in Diameter with a scope and sandbagged.
Any Suggestions?
TS

Yup get some 30 cal carbine and blast through it...

No dont do this... DUH!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#45]
My Remington nylon 77 Apache has an issue witht he magazine release. IT doesn't hold magazines in very well. I have checked it for gunk inside and such. Does the release or release spring need to be swapped?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Kind of gun related.

Does a frog have a water tight asshole.
( and then you shoot it with a Glock and roundnose lead ammo) < to make it a gun question.

Yes just like Labs
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#47]
which is the correct way to barrel an upper, use a barrel jaw block and just hold the barrel per the Army/MC tech manual or the way that is discussed the most using an action block and holding the upper receiver?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Is there any way to reduce the distance required to achieve "trigger reset" on the gun?  (i.e., it seems to take a LOT more lenght  of "release" in order to reconnect the trigger on this pistol).

Yes but dont do it at home.. Its easy to screwup!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Do you need a buttstock wrench to replace buttstocks on an AR?

Nope but the jaw marks from the pipe wrench look like shit after your done..
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes but dont do it at home.. Its easy to screwup!!

Thanks.   How's it work to do that?   Looking at the mechanism, I can't for the life of me figure that out, unless there were MAJOR mods to both the trigger plunger and the sear pivot.   Who does good work in this area?   How much of an improvement will there be?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top