Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/12/2006 6:17:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 6:17:48 PM EDT by MagKnightX]
So, I've been playing around with synthesizer emulators on my computer, composed a couple trance songs (which I may post when I get hosting), but I figure I might want to get a MIDI keyboard pretty soon to use for more direct control than simply entering values... I was looking for probably a 25-key for compactness (desk real estate is a premium with my scanner and massive case), preferably something in the $50-100 range.

Any suggestions?

ETA: If there's nothing quality in that range, I can MAYBE go to $200, but the lower, the better...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:20:03 PM EDT
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/703605V/

Refurb, so it's cheaper than brand new (but still under warranty)

USB connectivity.

Pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:22:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:25:04 PM EDT
they also have a blemished one for about $5 more (probably a return because someone didn't like it for some stupid reason so you save 20% off the price off new.

But if you spend $99 on a new one, you get free shipping. Which you wouldn't with the refurb / blem keyboards, unless you bought something else.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:55:33 AM EDT
Significant Terminology if you are shopping:
A MIDI keyboard is (generally) a keyboard that has input and/or output of MIDI signals, but that also works as a standalone instrument. It may not have speakers built-in, but it will have its own on-board sound generating ability (such as a line-out or headphone jack, that you can run to a mixer or external amp).
A keyboard MIDI controller is a keyboard that has ports for OUTPUT of MIDI only, and does not work as a standalone instrument. They usually costs less, but have no actual "sound-generating" capabilties of their own built-in---ALL they do is generate MIDI signals. They must be hooked to another device that has MIDI-input to do anything useful. MIDI controllers come in various types--keyboards, drums, string instruments, ect.
I have a keyboard controller for messing around, a Evolution MK149 because I just got it for messing around doing songs on the PC.
~
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:57:54 AM EDT
Just for messing around you might look at the Oxygen 8 series,
I bought mine to work with reason on my laptop and its full featured, plus you don't need Midi cables as it runs midi-via-usb.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:21:26 AM EDT
Get a Kurzweil.

You'll never be happy until you do.

BenDover's Studio...

Kurzweil K-2600

Reason
Cakewalk
Pro-Tools
Soundforge
CuBase
Rebirth
<­BR>MOTU PCI interface 48 channels.