Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 1:38:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 8:40:43 PM EDT by soccermike7]
I am picking up my rifle this evening from my FFL. I found this maintenance guide on the site, and after the disassembly portion it talks about cleaning/lubing the rifle.

ar15.com/content/guides/maintenance/

i know people have said to lube it before you shoot it, but i wasnt sure exactly what was necessary for the 2005 SEBR.

However, since it is chrome lined, its' recommended you dont clean the barrel for a few hundred rounds. and obviously there's no dirt to clean.

so... what do you do the first time before you go shoot a new AR to ensure it stays in top shape?

p.s. keep in mind this is the first AR i will be takign apart, and i dont want to get in over my head before i get to shoot it the first time.

thanks everyone, i'm pumped!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:39:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:40:08 PM EDT
I loaded mine first.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:41:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 1:42:59 PM EDT by StariVojnik]
Clean & shoot it and clean it again when your done. Im sure it was test fired at the factory.

Did your rifle come with a test target paper in the box?

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:41:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Camp_Ninja:
I loaded mine first.

Same here, removing the safety helps the firing process as well
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:42:07 PM EDT
Send it to me with 1000 rounds of ammo for test firing and inspection
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:46:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By soccermike7:

so... what do you do the first time before you go shoot a new AR to ensure it stays in top shape?

Pull the trigger!

I'm kidding ya. I only responded to say congrats on the new rifle.

Honestly, I have a fairly new one and all I did as soon as I got it was take it apart. No reason, just to check it out and learn about it. If there is anything you're supposed to do before you fire it for the first time, no one told me about it.

Also, couldn't hurt to post in the 'AR Discussion' forum too (if you haven't already). Lot's of good guys around here that know lot's about the AR.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:48:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
clean it and lube it.

yes, i've had this same thign said to me and read it in other posts, but clean and lube what?

how far do i need to disassemble it to do "this" correctly?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:49:57 PM EDT
Pray to the AR Gods and sacrfice a 40 year old virgin for tight groups and reliable functioning rifle.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:50:02 PM EDT
As far as the lube, go light. I converted to Break-Free CLP, it's pretty good stuff, and cheap. Works well in the AR.

As said, it should have been test fired at the factory. Shoot a few hundred through it and get 'er broken in!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:51:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:51:25 PM EDT
I clean all my guns before shooting the first time...

Sometimes the manufacturer leaves too much oil on them and when the rifle and parts heat up it can bake into the parts and leave more residue than is desired or usual.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:53:16 PM EDT
Yell at the top of your lungs, "FUCK YOU FINESTINE!!!!"
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:54:14 PM EDT
Take it apart down to the smallest part, especially if you have no gunsmithing skills whatsoever. pipe wrench and bench vise is in order.

now file the shit out of various surfaces in the trigger assembly.

Then cover it with so much oil that it drips when you hold it.

Then force the parts back together incorrectly. bent or cut any parts that can't be forced together.

Use plenty bore cleaning to "break in" the barrel. (A lot of people on the internet say it is a good thing. )
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:59:20 PM EDT
Depends on the AR too. One of my AR's came in dripping so I had to wipe down the bore & chamber.

Another I bought barely used, but it was bone dry. I had to lube it up a bit, especially the action.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:04:12 PM EDT
Go in the bathroom and clean YOUR bore so you don't accidently shoot a round off in your pants when you pull the trigger on your new rifle. WOOOOOHOOOOOOO

Congrates on the new hotness and the Dreaded Black Rifle Disease!

Clean the barrel out and run a dry patch through it to remove any oil. Make sure the bolt, bolt carrier, trigger parts are lubed lightly.

Firer, Load, one 10 round magazine..........pull the charging handle to the rear..........release

take up a good three point firing position..................Rotate the selector switch from safe to semi...............

commence firing.....................

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:07:35 PM EDT
Clean the chamber, not just the barrel. The chamber might have grease in it, that will cause the 1st round to fail to extract.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:19:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 2:21:14 PM EDT by pcsutton]
Congrats on your new sickness! You know it's incurable don't you?

Take your rifle down to it's major components. IE, bolt group, upper, lower. Wipe EVERYTHING down with CLP. Use your fingers. HEAVY. Inside and out. Really slather it on. Let it sit for a few minutes. Using a clean dry soft cloth wipe off the excess CLP. Run a CLP patch down the barrel, then a dry patch. Be sure you don't scratch the muzzle with your cleaning rod!! Reassemble.

Look up the section on zeroing your weapon and follow the instructions. You will likely want to print out the zeroing targets for your model of AR. Use them at the requisite distance. You will be able to get your sights set accurately and easily.

Have fun and be careful...........you sicko!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:40:27 PM EDT
clean and lube , then shot the tar out of it lol
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:41:37 PM EDT
Bumpfire it underwater
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:56:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 2:57:32 PM EDT by nascar3n8fan]

Originally Posted By red65:
Take it apart down to the smallest part, especially if you have no gunsmithing skills whatsoever. pipe wrench and bench vise is in order.

now file the shit out of various surfaces in the trigger assembly.

Then cover it with so much oil that it drips when you hold it.

Then force the parts back together incorrectly. bent or cut any parts that can't be forced together.

Use plenty bore cleaning to "break in" the barrel. (A lot of people on the internet say it is a good thing. )

That's exactly how I do it.

Great for making expensive paper weights.

ETA You forgot hacksaw from your list of required tools.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:03:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By nascar3n8fan:

ETA You forgot hacksaw from your list of required tools.

Wal-Mart has Dremel kits for a good price; some of them come with cutoff wheels in addition to grinding attachments.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:03:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
clean it and lube it.

yes, i've had this same thign said to me and read it in other posts, but clean and lube what?

A quick sqirt of CLP on the bolt carrier and in the lower reciever is all you need.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:04:55 PM EDT

Exactly as far as the owners manual that should have come with the rifle says. No more, no less.

You don't need to use a whole lot of lube unless you are going to be shooting more than 400 rounds in one session. If you over lube, it will just make the weapon dirtier.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:05:52 PM EDT
Stick it down your pants and rub it on your weenuts.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:18:24 PM EDT
The First thing you have to do is post a pic of it!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:18:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 3:19:21 PM EDT by soccermike7]

Originally Posted By magnum_99:
Stick it down your pants and rub it on your weenuts.

mmmm.......now that would be exciting!

and i'm off to the FFL. lets hope noone stole my identity and has a warrant out for their arrest
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:20:09 PM EDT
Walk outside in the middle of the street and show your neighbors!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:42:52 PM EDT

I'll never forget my buddy with a brand new Colt HBar . First shot he took with it a long skinny cardboard string shot out of it !

When we looked at it it was a cardboard string that was stuffed in the bore ( I guess its to absorb moisture in storage or somthing )

The dummy never cleaned or inspected the bore before shooting ! Still bug him about that

I always give the bore and machined parts a good cleaning and a dab of lube where needed
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:44:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By falaholic1:
Walk outside in the middle of the street and show your neighbors!

But remember to speak in tounges and wear a loin cloth for the full effect....oooo, don't forget to sacrifice a goat. Can't have a new rifle without goat blood! Least that's what grandma always said.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:57:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:41:33 PM EDT
here are some initial pics. goin to the range tomorrow!

Top Top