Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 10:13:33 AM EDT
hello all,

my school is offering a major in insurance now and i'm considering it.  i keep hearing how great a career path it is with numerous opportunities and i wanted to see if anyone had real world insight on it.  i'm particularly interested in aircraft insurance.  i'm not sure what particular area of insurance i want to work in- just trying to get a general feel for how things are in the industry.  thanks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#1]
The subject itself is DRY AS DUST. But there are lots of decent careers to be had in it, and the actual work can be pretty interesting. Learning all the DRY AS DUST shit that you need to know can be a challenge.

Generally speaking, there are the following career paths:

-- Underwriting -- deciding who gets insured when the apps come in, and at what price.
-- Claims -- paying the people who had a loss. Often interesting work. Can pay pretty well if you are in the right place, or do contract work after disasters and stuff. You will probably reach a promotional ceiling in this field unless you have a law degree.
 -- Agents -- they sell it. They have the highest income, and most fun, but it takes a lot of determination to get through the first few years.

There is also actuarial -- a racket in itself -- but you are talking multiple advanced math degrees there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Ask Greywolf2112 what he thinks of it.

If you are smart you will stay the hell out of the sales aspect.

There are many other sides of insurance that you can make really good money at.  

I am in sales for several large insurance companies and I make decent money, I have been doing it for about 4 years and I am burned out. I  can barely look at myself in the mirror anymore.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#3]
i have a cousin in insurence and he makes BANK!!! And ya sales sucks.....
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you are smart you will stay the hell away from it. Especially Sales.

I did very well in sales. It is rough work, but it pays if you can survive it. I have friends who have made millions in sales.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a dear friend that has been on the sales side of insurance for 27 years and makes GREAT money.  The only problem is she works 60+ hours a week.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you are smart you will stay the hell away from it. Especially Sales.

I did very well in sales. It is rough work, but it pays if you can survive it. I have friends who have made millions in sales.

Don't get me wrong I do extremely well in sales but it is very easy to get burnt out really quickly.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
There is also actuarial -- a racket in itself -- but you are talking multiple advanced math degrees there.

You can become an actuary without having any math degrees.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Be prepared for anyone you talk with to hate your guts when they find out you work for the insurance industry ... you blood sucking crooked snake greedy liar.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Ask the Beekeeper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top