Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 8:11:58 AM EDT
I am not trying to bash cops at all, i have been watching these swat shows and i actually find them entertaining.

one thing I have noticed is most of officers are professional and in great shape, although i noticed a couple of times you will see some real overweight officers, they are never the guys involved on stacking to enter the building.

Are they just part timers pulling perimeter security?  Are they real swat officers?  Aren't swat standards very demanding (physically/mentally?)
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh, like it or not this will descend into a pit of donut jokes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the standards of the department and the capabilities of the officer in question.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:15:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am not trying to bash cops at all, i have been watching these swat shows and i actually find them entertaining.

one thing I have noticed is most of officers are professional and in great shape, although i noticed a couple of times you will see some real overweight officers, they are never the guys involved on stacking to enter the building.

Are they just part timers pulling perimeter security?  Are they real swat officers?  Aren't swat standards very demanding (physically/mentally?)

The standards for the SWAT team vary by department, but yes, they are usually required to be very physically fit and pretty strong.

You can have a gut and still be able to climb a 10 story building, you know...

Things are not always how they appear.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#4]
This is the 7th SWAT thread in the last 24 hours.

One more - and we better lock up the doggies.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#5]
its a fun show to watch!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#6]
they put three layers of level III body armor on the fatty to negate the "fatal funnel" effect.  its like a bullet resistant shield but it is self propelled
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
they put three layers of level III body armor on the fatty to negate the "fatal funnel" effect.  its like a bullet resistant shield but it is self propelled

It's sort of the same concept as the ballistic shield the lead man carries, except that when the fatty gets hit he screams like a girl....
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#8]
SWAT here - the entry guys - are in superb physical shape. The support element (who are members, and sworn officers) are older and not necessarily in great shape. They don't usually "dress out."

ETA: I suspect that the fitness requirements have more to with discipline, teambuilding, and esprit than with operational necessity. There are plenty of genuine badasses on and off the police force who are not going to do the Walk for A Cure, much less run a marathon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top