Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 8:08:05 AM EDT
Low serial number, 4 digit. Called Springfield last week and they told me that they would E mail me the info. Well they did today saying it was probably An old GI SA receiver as they had no info on it and they had checked all their books. This is a Natl Match rifle, it has no fun parts and no cut out in the stock for them anyways. I knew they would have to look in their paper books as it was built in the mid to late 70s. They suggested I call BATF to get the info. I see nowhere on the receiver where they did any filling or welding. All the parts are GI or Canadian GI [NM chromed BBL] except for the trigger housing, the trigger parts are GI tho. Weird huh?  This is a VERY well put together rifle as I had it all apart and the bedding was phenominally tight. After tung oiling the stock and checking everything over and greasing it well I put er back together.  This was a rifle supposedly built in 1978 and unfired from a collection. I see no signs of it ever being fired or for that matter handled much. The wood was dry and needed treatment but otherwise it was unmarked. This was supposedly a Devine Receiver that SA bought when they bought them out. [Devine] Very strange.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Okay, I'm lost.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Devine, TX was the ORIGINAL location of Springfield Armory ( the Company NOT the Armory ) back in the 70's.  I'll be damned if I can remember the original NAME of the company.  It's possible that the old recievers were forged,,,,I don't recall....but you have a serious classic on your hands.  It is NOT an M14 so you don't have to worry about it any Class 3 type stuff.....I am assuming it isn't a conversion with the connecting rod, selector and so on....
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Ahhhh, I see it now.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Devine, TX was the ORIGINAL location of Springfield Armory ( the Company NOT the Armory ) back in the 70's.  I'll be damned if I can remember the original NAME of the company.  It's possible that the old recievers were forged,,,,I don't recall....but you have a serious classic on your hands.  It is NOT an M14 so you don't have to worry about it any Class 3 type stuff.....I am assuming it isn't a conversion with the connecting rod, selector and so on....

No, none of the happy parts. As I understand it, SA purchased all the remaining stocks [of matls] when they bought it up. The rifle was supposedly built in 1978, and has remained unfired when I bought it a few weeks ago. The thing is very well fitted, I was impressed with how well it was bedded, class A work and smoothed perfectly with no overflow. SA had no problem with my 1989 M1A and told me the year and month in a few minutes. This one took several days for them to come to a blank wall and she seemed as confused as I am.  Everything is GI but for the trigger Housing and the trigger housing is marked SAI, the guts inside it are GI tho, as is the rest of the parts. It has a canadian [maple leaf]NM GI chromed BBL on it. Maybe Devine had the SN# logged into their books before they were bought out?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:48:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I so would want to shoot that bad boy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#7]
SA Emailed me back again, they DID build the rifle but as it was in the very beginning of the Company they no longer have the build info. That clears it up a bit. They referred me to the ATF to see if they could find the info in their books. It is a devine style receiver but the BBL is marked Gennesco.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top