Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#1]

The AK47 of cameras! I had one for years and used it professionally, and it never failed me, even when the meter battery conked out, and I didn't have time to change it

Big Plus One on the FM2N.  One of the toughest Cameras ever built...but what do I know...I still like my f2's and 3's.  Sad day.  I love my Digital Gear...but damn...the end of an era.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
There are some instances where film is still the way to go.

A number of years ago my brother went on a NOLS course deep in the north Cascades. For people not familiar with that area it is extremely rugged, extremely wet, and very cold.

My brother took a Nikon FM2N all manual film camera. Other people had digital cameras, electronically controlled film cameras etc.  An instructor even criticized his choice to bring a film all manual camera.

By the end of the trip the only camera that still functioned was my brother's FM2N. And that was even after taking several direct hits from crampons, rocks, etc.

Until they can get an electronic camera to be that rugged I imagine that there will still be a market for film, all manual cameras.

You haven't got a clue as to what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:24:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There are some instances where film is still the way to go.

A number of years ago my brother went on a NOLS course deep in the north Cascades. For people not familiar with that area it is extremely rugged, extremely wet, and very cold.

My brother took a Nikon FM2N all manual film camera. Other people had digital cameras, electronically controlled film cameras etc.  An instructor even criticized his choice to bring a film all manual camera.

By the end of the trip the only camera that still functioned was my brother's FM2N. And that was even after taking several direct hits from crampons, rocks, etc.

Until they can get an electronic camera to be that rugged I imagine that there will still be a market for film, all manual cameras.

You haven't got a clue as to what you are talking about.

So educate me all knowing one!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:28:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't really think that anything has been lost.  Digital has come far enough to be able to reproduce the quality of 35mm, and you can get prints at the developer if you want.  It's easier, cheaper, and you get immediate results of your shot (so you know if you need to take another).  I don't really see any advantage of 35mm, if you have a high quality SLR digital over 8megapixel.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:39:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Just remember when your batteries are dead after trying to get that shot of bigfoot, Bob the Luddite with his all manual film camera will still be able to get that shot.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:47:01 AM EDT
[#6]

"Yeah but film sounds better...!

Oh wait, that was vinyl. Never mind..."

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#7]
They see the writing on the wall.  Film is only going to be used in the not too distant future by professionals and experienced photo hobbyists.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:29:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What is film?

Bingo
~Dg84
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#9]
<------- Hugs and kisses his Hasselblad 500c and Nikon F3.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm done with film cameras for most pictures. Recently bought a Konica- Minolta Dimage Z6 digital, compared the pics to the (relatively) same pics taken by my wife with a very nice Nikon 35mm film camera, everyone in the house agreed that the pics from the digital looked better than than the pics from the film camera. I'll still play around with the 35mm film for artsy type stuff but thats about it.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Many accept 6 megapixels as being superior to the average 35mm film processed in the usual ways. Now for large back cameras, much more pixels is needed. Film has grain, and digital usually doesn't so in that way alone is superior to most 35mm film with std processing. What you get with the better cameras isn't so much as more pixels, but cleaner sensors and better lens.

M4-AK

Long live Digital
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Pros please respond.   How do the high end digital cameras compare to film cameras regarding shutter delay?   Thinking about shooting sports, fast motion subjects and modeling shots.      
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#14]
As long as you are shooting a "pro" type body (or an advanced amateur) there is no shutter lag or anything of the like. The frame rates can go pretty high, if you are willing to spend the money.

As far as film vs digital goes, we started with the  Canon1ds when it came out (from the Canon EOS 3) and now have a pair of 1dsMKIIs along with a 1dMKIIn and I would say that they left film
(at least as far as the 35mm that we've used to shoot) behind years ago.

We routinely do bill boards along with around fifty weddings a year. We also do five sports centers for year round portraits. I have had people, on many occasions, say I am glad that you don't shoot digital, I just smile and say that I am glad you are happy .
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#15]
This sucks...
I remember taking Photography courses in High School, learning about Film Speeds, F-Stops, Shutter Speeds.

I practically lived in a dark room, my hands were always stained from the Developer and Fixer Chemicals.

I learned on a Manual SLR and became quite good with it.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I started my business with a Nikon D70, and I still love it.  I've recently gotten into weddings, which is rewarding, fun, and also profitable.  NO ONE around here still uses film for weddings.  The most popular cameras are Canon 1Ds MkII, Fuji S3, and Nikon D2x/h, in that order.  The Fujis use Nikon glass.  

I'm getting into medium format now, looking for a good used Yashica or Mamiya.  I plan to do the processing all myself, in B/W, and offer a style of wedding photography that seems to be dead now - at least in my area.  I'll also use my D2x, but as far as i know, no one will be compete with in the "photojournalism" niche.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This sucks...
I remember taking Photography courses in High School, learning about Film Speeds, F-Stops, Shutter Speeds.

I practically lived in a dark room, my hands were always stained from the Developer and Fixer Chemicals.

I learned on a Manual SLR and became quite good with it.

I don't miss the smell of stop bath
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top