BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 8:27:56 PM EDT
Federal Gov't Installs Pole Barriers at Mexican Border
January 11, 2006
Associated Press
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,181273,00.html
TUCSON, Ariz — Federal officials will begin installing steel pole barriers this month to stop drug and migrant smugglers from driving through what have been high-traffic corridors along sections of the Mexican border in Arizona and New Mexico.

The poles, which will be spaced about four feet apart, will be placed along two miles of border east of San Luis, Ariz., and along a one-mile stretch west of Columbus, N.M., in areas frequented by smugglers using cars, pickups and vans. The barriers have previously been used near San Diego.

Officials say smugglers driving around the barriers will go into isolated terrain where they will be easier to catch. Additionally, the western side of the Arizona barrier will end where officials are extending an existing wall of corrugated metal to form a contiguous barrier.

The steel poles are 10 to 12 inches in diameter and 12 to 13-1/2 feet long. Heavy equipment will hammer them about halfway into the ground. The poles will also be filled with solid resin.

The barriers are expected to be able to withstand crashes of up to 40 mph, said Michael Gramley, a spokesman for the Border Patrol's Yuma sector, which includes San Luis in southwestern Arizona.

"This particular design has been put through many different tests, and it appears that it will be effective in preventing vehicles from being able to cross the international boundary and will be very durable if someone is attempting to vandalize them," Gramley said.

During the 2005 fiscal year, more than 2,700 vehicles, a record, crossed the border illegally through the Yuma sector, he said.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Would it really be that much more effort to make them twice the length and only four INCHES apart?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#2]
They are probably just wanting to "non-dramatically" slow down the mexican military
They DON'T want to impede the flow of diseased illegals, slavers and drug runners
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Would it really be that much more effort to make them twice the length and only four INCHES apart?

yup with the tops cut at about a 60 degree angle and sharpened
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and tipped with mines.  
to prevent drug smuggling.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and tipped with mines.  

to prevent drug smuggling.

How about including a bracket for mounting solar-powered-motion-detector-activated-claymores?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

During the 2005 fiscal year, more than 2,700 vehicles, a record, crossed the border illegally through the Yuma sector, he said.

That is fucking pathetic.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Two million crossed illegally last year, shhhh.........don't make like it is a big deal
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a CA newspaper that agrees with some posters here, that a wall is insane

EDITORIAL
Border madness

January 10, 2006
San Francisco Chronicle
www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2006/01/10/EDGU9GJSM41.DTL
IN A COUNTRY as diverse as ours, there will always be some people pushing such crackpot ideas as building a nearly 1,000-mile fence along the U.S.-Mexico border.

But when those ideas are approved by a majority of members of the House of Representatives, you have to wonder whether the inmates have indeed taken over the asylum.

There might be a sliver of rationality to building a border fence, if there were any evidence that such a barrier would keep out illegal immigrants. But the experience on the U.S. border shows that just the opposite is the case.

Over the past 20 years, the federal government has increased funding for border security by 519 percent, including building fences at some of the most heavily crossed sections of the border in California, Arizona and Texas. But during this same period, the illegal immigrant population has increased from 4 million to nearly 11 million, according to a report from the nonpartisan Migration Policy Institute in Washington.

What numerous studies have shown is that our border fences have not deterred people from making the crossing. All they have done is force people into areas that are more difficult to cross, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of would-be migrants each year.

Those who don't die during the crossing are reluctant to go back and forth to their home countries, as they might have in the past, because they know how difficult or life-threatening it will be to get back into the United States. So they just stay on this side of the border. In a perverse way, our border fences have only helped sustain the illegal immigrant population, not reduce it.

The fence is just one of numerous bad ideas in the bill (HR4437) approved by the House in December before its winter recess by a 238-184 vote. We're counting on the U.S. Senate to restore some sanity to the halls of Congress by rejecting the bill. Until it does, watch out for crackpot ideas becoming the law of the land.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#9]
yeah, and 40 cut 'n pastes a day on the topic is going to change everything.  put your money where your mouth is and join the minutemen or start a lobbying campaign or something.

being a spam queen with three or four replies each thread circle-jerking you aint accomplishing much.  if its such a big issue you constantly have to present to everybody then why dont any of these threads entail what YOU are exactly doing about the problem?

400 posts on the same topic and the only viable solution presented in each case were fantasies involving mines, solar powered claymores, and punji sticks.  if you care to step into reality and work on a viable solution be my guest.

all fingers and no action...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
yeah, and 40 cut 'n pastes a day on the topic is going to change everything.  put your money where your mouth is and join the minutemen or start a lobbying campaign or something.

being a spam queen with three or four replies each circle-jerking you aint accomplishing much.  if its such a big issue you constantly have to present to everybody then why dont any of these threads entail what YOU are exactly doing about the problem?

all fingers and no action...

Your opinion doesn't carry a whole lot of weight with me, I can't figure out why you would think it does
You must have a real high opinion of yourself and your "don't have to defend" position

Again, for the people that ARE capable of rational thought...........
I post these  hard to find articles because they are not given air time in the liberal media

I'm just surprised that you haven't threatened to kick my a$$ yet, that is about your speed
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm just surprised that you haven't threatened to kick my a$$ yet, that is about your speed

im out of your league bud, no fun in that.  

Quoted:

I post these  hard to find articles because they are not given air time in the liberal media

ahhh...so maybe someone ELSE can deal with it instead of you eh?   what a shining star you are.  if your convictions run so deep, why not act on them, unless hiding on the internet and spamming cut and pastings is about as active as you get.   seems like you thrive on the circle jerk reaction you get.

if i felt so strongly about something i would act on it and do my part, not sit on my ass and whine about it.  hey, like you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

im out of your league bud, no fun in that.  

Quoted:

ahhh...so maybe someone ELSE can deal with it instead of you eh?   what a shining star you are.  if your convictions run so deep, why not act on them, unless hiding on the internet and spamming cut and pastings is about as active as you get.  

if i felt so strongly about something i would act on it and do my part, not sit on my ass and whine about it.  hey, like you.

I do what I can, you do what you want, if you want to assume that this is all I do, go right ahead

I hope you get posted on the border and charged with keeping the illegals out of this country
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I hope you get posted on the border and charged with keeping the illegals out of this country

im sure you do. after all, with the surplus of keyboard cut 'n paste activists somebody has get up and do something themselves right?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I notice that your contribution seems to be making personal attacks against me without bothering to address the articles or the issues

Thanks for the bumps
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#15]
your articles are all the same.  what am i going to address?  im asking what your point is?  if you are convinced its such a problem to where you will waste hours a day spamming everyone with every incident nationwide involving illegals....then why dont you actually try and make a difference in the problem?

why dont you discuss rational and feasible solutions or even <gasp> actively participate in other venues such as lobbying or protesting?  

what the fuck is the point of you doing this over and over again...and coming up with fantasy solutions?  

maybe i should have responded with "we sooo need razor wire with poison tips running the rio grande".....like all 400 of your other posts.  

then you would have gotten your circle jerk reaction and would be happy right now, feeling fulfilled like you did something important to stem the tide of illegal immigration.  

i dont fault you though, hey not everyone is capable of doing important things, we have to have somebody in the background hyping it and pushing those people forward right?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
your articles are all the same.  what am i going to address.

maybe i should have responded with "we sooo need razor wire with poison tips running the rio grande".....like all 400 of your other posts.  

then you would have gotten your circle jerk reaction and would be happy right now, feeling fulfilled like you did something important to stem the tide of illegal immigration.  

i dont fault you though, hey not everyone is capable of doing important things, we have to have somebody in the background hyping it and pushing those people forward right?

Spoken like a child with a very inflated opinion of himself

BTW: My 4,000 posts went something like this

ENFORCE THE RULE OF LAW

Something you obviously disagree with
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

BTW: My 4,000 posts went something like this

ENFORCE THE RULE OF LAW

so do something about it besides whine like a bitch and play fantasy illegal roundup on the net with your dreams of electric fences and claymores.  

what the fuck did preaching to the choir 4000 times accomplish?

research and discuss feasible solutions and act on them.  whiney bitches get nowhere.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[

ENFORCE THE RULE OF LAW

so do something about it besides whine like a bitch and play fantasy illegal roundup on the net with your fantasies of electric fences and claymores.

research and discuss feasible solutions and act on them.  whiney bitches get nowhere.

I've already done that, the wall is cheaper than the expense of illegals in this country
even when you don't include all the drugs, diseases, child rapes, gang rapes, burglaries, robberies
murders, dui-hit-and-run, Cop killings, child prostitution, identity theft......it goes on and on
(but, you don't have any problem with all that because I am lying.....dramatically......right?)
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#19]
from what ive seen your solutions to date have been like a kid drawing a picture of skeletors castle.  

constructing a 40 foot talle wall with land mines and barbed wire is hardly feasible, when the root of the problem is within our borders, not external.  

negative birthrates, low sources of cheap labor, and social security defecits (yes, illegals with fake SSN's contribute BILLIONS to SS which they are ineligible to have returned)  are why politicians refuse to act on the border issue, not because they are scared of insulting hispanic voters.  

a wall would only deal with half the problem at most, yet would suck massive resources we do not have at the moment.

try lobbying for expanded LEGAL immigration, tax breaks for businesses that truly verify employment, social security reform and faster aquisition of false numbers, and even allow large numbers of these illegals into our military where they can both be used well and controlled.  

start demanding that politicians stop using SS as petty cash which can be refilled by illegals using fake SSN's.  even with amnesty there would be no way to grandfather previous contributions and its a huge cash cow for the feds at the moment while the states eat the losses.

for starters.  

there are more than enough things to work on, discuss, and act upon than fantasies of minefields and volumes of cut and paste stories singing the same song.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
from what ive seen your solutions to date have been like a kid drawing a picture of skeletors castle.  

constructing a 40 foot talle wall with land mines and barbed wire is hardly feasible, when the root of the problem is within our borders, not external.  

negative birthrates, low sources of cheap labor, and social security defecits (yes, illegals with fake SSN's contribute BILLIONS to SS which they are ineligible to have returned)  are why politicians refuse to act on the border issue, not because they are scared of insulting hispanic voters.  

a wall would only deal with half the problem at most, yet would suck massive resources we do not have at the moment.

try lobbying for expanded LEGAL immigration, tax breaks for businesses that truly verify employment, social security reform and faster aquisition of false numbers, and even allow large numbers of these illegals into our military where they can both be used well and controlled.

for starters.  

there are more than enough things to work on, discuss, and act upon than fantasies of minefields and volumes of cut and paste stories singing the same song.

I do support huge increases in legal immigration AFTER the illegals are dealt with
If there are legal jobs here that they are needed for, they are welcome to them
(but the criminals and the ones with the communicable diseases need to stay in mexico)

Later
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#21]
25mm chain guns, slaved to motion sensors.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I do support huge increases in legal immigration AFTER the illegals are dealt with
If there are legal jobs here that they are needed for, they are welcome to them
(but the criminals and the ones with the communicable diseases need to stay in mexico)

Later

+999
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#23]
You know, from how the vehicle barrier is described, it would be very easy to turn it into a people barrier quickly and fairly cheaply. Sounds like they are putting in an under the radar solution that will work well.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:35:57 PM EDT
[#24]
They put the poles 4 ft apart so they can carry 2 large bags of money back with them.
We need government that knows the meaning of "illegal".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top