Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/11/2006 7:04:42 PM EDT
I don't understand this. I constantly hear people on the news talking about the meth epidemic. It seems like this is a huge problem in the midwest. Meth is not even a tiny problem in the northeast, just check out this map:

why is this?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Cause there bored???  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The map isn't accurate for current seizures.

CT has seen a handful of meth busts in 2005.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Where else you gonna get anhydrous ammonia except for farms in the quantities needed?  There's also not much else to do.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Ok fine, so a handful. It's still 2-3 orders of magnitude off a bunch of states
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Lots of rural areas for labs, plus they steal anhydrous ammonia from the farmers for production.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#6]
We have the highest concentrations of Wal-Marts and Walgreens in the country so they can buy Sudafed.  From a LEO standpoint, I often wondered this myself.  Jefferson and Franklin Co in Missouri seem to make up the lions share for that state.  As for Illinois, it's mainly a southern and central Illinois thing.  Some of my friends in Chicago state they have never arrested anyone or heard of it up there, lucky them.......
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#7]

<---
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Winter weather sucks.  Its boring.  Nothing better to do.

You should the rotten teeth I see everyday at the office.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Lots of rural areas for labs, plus they steal anhydrous ammonia from the farmers for production.

Heck, lots of them have been busted in the Farmers' barns, silos, etc.

Lots of anhydrous laying around without so much as a lock between the tank and a meth maker.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#10]
We like heroin and crack in these parts.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ok fine, so a handful. It's still 2-3 orders of magnitude off a bunch of states

Not my point.

Meth is coming to town near you.  Just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow, I thought all of the meth lab people were at my old highschool
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#13]
THat is one of the worst graphics ever.  It looks like it was faxed, then somebody compressed it and then somebody else took a digital photo of it and reduced the resolution and then blew it back up.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
THat is one of the worst graphics ever.  It looks like it was faxed, then somebody compressed it and then somebody else took a digital photo of it and reduced the resolution and then blew it back up.

sorry, I had to change its format to get the host to accept it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Rural areas were unprepared for dealing with  it.

Good strategy on the drug maker's part
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I don't think anyone was "prepared" to deal with it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

are you serious?  A few years ago in high school you could get anything you wanted except for meth.  There was such a heavy flow of coke and prescribed amphetamines there wasn't a market for speed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
are you serious?  A few years ago in high school you could get anything you wanted except for meth.  There was such a heavy flow of coke and prescribed amphetamines there wasn't a market for speed.

Yup.  Possession and Distribution.  No labs busted, that I know of.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Urban areas have anti-gang and anti-drug units.  Rural america didn't
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1. There are lots of kids around here (18-25) who are coke users, among other drugs.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry I didn't mean to insult you, I didn't realize you were the one who did it.  There are usually ways to downconvert graphics without introducing that many artifacts.  IM me if you want more info.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry I didn't mean to insult you, I didn't realize you were the one who did it.  There are usually ways to downconvert graphics without introducing that many artifacts.  IM me if you want more info.

hehe, no problem, I was just trying to do it with the least possible effort.

And so no one gets the wrong message, this isn't to imply that drugs are a problem in the northeast. Oxy and heroin seem to be a pretty big problem in the cities. Coke seems to be gaining a lot of popularity amoung upperclass teenagers and young adults (I speak from experiance).
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Urban areas have anti-gang and anti-drug units.  Rural america didn't

I live and work in an urban area, and we have some of the worst Meth problems in Illinois.  There are many theories on why certain areas have meth and some don't.  Look at crack when it first came out, only certain people, mainly poor, where using it.  Now fast-forward 10 years, and everyone is using it.  Give meth time, it will be everywhere.  I do have to warn people that don't have it in their area as of now-its bad shit, keep it out if possible.  The chemical processes, yes there is more than one way to make it is very dangerous.  The last meth house that I went to had 13 pounds (thats 3 gallons of meth oil) in a house with small children.  The one before that, the guy was so wigged out on Meth, that his trailor caught on fire while he was outside cooking food and had no idea.  Not to mention, depending on which type of process is used, some will blow up, some the fumes will kill you instantly.  Then you have the genious few who make it in their cars while driving around, nothing says fun, until you have worked a traffic accident with a mobil meth lab.  Have fun, be safe, watch your kids, stay active in their life, and beware of their new friends-IT IS COMING TO A TOWN NEAR YOU.........
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Local areas go through various epidemics with various drugs. It seems to be cyclical in many cases. Crack then, meth now. I would guess that there are a number of factors behind why meth is found in those areas. The problem with just judging it by seizures is that maybe you are just seeing areas where the cops focus on it more.

Historically speaking, the biggest single cause of drug epidemics is anti-drug campaigns. The noisy, self-serving publicity campaigns against drugs actually provide the dealers with free advertising. The warning against drugs functions as a lure for a lot of people. After all, if the drug is as dangerous as the campaign tells you, then why do people take it? Obviously -- because it must really feel great. (Or so their reasoning goes)

The major rise in the use of the drugs invariably follows the noisy campaign against the drug, rather than preceding it. This happened before in the 1960s.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#26]
If they ever do heavily restrict the ingredients here in the US it will just get made in Mexico or some other shithole and smuggled here. The price will go up and crime will increase to obtain the funds to maintain a habit that has been made more expensive. Meth is still cheap compared to coke around here and it seems that most violent drug-related crime is related to Crack/coke while tweakers are just mainly into theft at this point.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
If they ever do heavily restrict the ingredients here in the US it will just get made in Mexico or some other shithole and smuggled here. The price will go up and crime will increase to obtain the funds to maintain a habit that has been made more expensive. Meth is still cheap compared to coke around here and it seems that most violent drug-related crime is related to Crack/coke while tweakers are just mainly into theft at this point.

Production in Mexico is already happening on a large scale.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.  Possession and Distribution.  No labs busted, that I know of.

A few kids being busted with meth is another story.  Kids will occasionally cop some out of state at a rave, but there hasn't been a solid market there for someone to make a lab  Meth hasn't ever been and never will be a big issue in CT.  As long as easily availible coke floods the market along with every other doctor prescribing ADD medication, meth will stay far away.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
We like heroin and crack in these parts.

and az has a shitload of weed.d they move it in from mexico to distrobution houses to package and move on to the Ca and other areas. about once a month or so I read about a big bust in the paper.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I think we should legalize it and all of our drug problems will just melt away...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#31]
IL has/had some of the loosest laws in the country regarding ephedrine sales. It wasn't until almost a year ago that they implemented the law where you could only buy 2 ephedrine products. A new law is about to take effect to where ephedrine products can only be sold through a pharmacy, and i think you have to sign for it or present a drivers liscense, not sure on that though.

So after our neighboring states passed stricter laws, everyone came to illinois to get their ephedrine
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Every decade or so - in spite of the best efforts of our politicians to save us from ourselves - the human race manages to dream up a yet another way of adding fresh chlorine to the gene pool.

Prediction: In 2011, someone will discover that using a hammer to hit yourself in the head in a certain spot produces an euphoria which lasts for several hours. In certain urban areas, the authorities will respond to this new "hidden health threat" by banning the sale or possession of hammers, lead pipes, baseball bats and tire irons.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:36:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Best solution for methlabs!

:Disclaimer: I leave bustin meth labs to the cops.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#34]
My company is a supplier for convenience stores and I noticed something strange about some of the stores we used to have- we had a few stores that ordered several cases of sudafed and Heet gasoline additive per week.

I always suspected they were making meth. Am I right?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Cause there bored???  

+10

Nothing else to do except go into fields and drink when in high school.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:03:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Hmm figured Ne would be higher onn he list
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:09:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Not to mention this.......METH MOUTH, so attractive......

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:19:04 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
My company is a supplier for convenience stores and I noticed something strange about some of the stores we used to have- we had a few stores that ordered several cases of sudafed and Heet gasoline additive per week.

I always suspected they were making meth. Am I right?

YES!  My company also supplies C-stores, although we have laws regulating the total number of OTC cold meds containing ephedrine or pseudoephedrine that can be sold to a customer per week.  We are also not allowed to purchase any OTC cold meds from our company per DEA regs, and the ones we have are locked up and counted after every shift.  Even carrying these products has become more expensive than the profit made.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:23:31 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
We have the highest concentrations of Wal-Marts and Walgreens in the country so they can buy Sudafed.  From a LEO standpoint, I often wondered this myself.  Jefferson and Franklin Co in Missouri seem to make up the lions share for that state.  As for Illinois, it's mainly a southern and central Illinois thing.  Some of my friends in Chicago state they have never arrested anyone or heard of it up there, lucky them.......

Jefferson and Franklin, thats close to where I grew up.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Meth is a huge problem in Indiana.
We have laws that limit the amount of sudafed ar other ephedine based cold pills.
If you go into the local wally world and buy more then one pack of litium batteries and the right other products your name or discription gets turned over to LEO's.
One of the nearby counties busted 400 labs last year.
This area has large amounts of farm land little population and access to heavily populated areas within an hours drive.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

ding, ding, ding we have the answer
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#43]
The midwest is the area farthest from the borders.  The price of foreign produced drugs is higher relative to locally produced meth in those areas.  In the northeast you can just get off on coke that came in on a container ship into Boston.  Notice that the number of busts in TX and CA, although high overall, is pretty low per capita.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I don't understand this. I constantly hear people on the news talking about the meth epidemic. It seems like this is a huge problem in the midwest. Meth is not even a tiny problem in the northeast, just check out this map:
img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/935750/meth_us_lg3.GIF

why is this?

Its a growing problem in the NE. Look at just a  few years ago when you hardly ever heard of cooking going on, and now its into the dozens of cases. Maybe not as many numbers overall as the midwest, but certainly a growing problem.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We had one in town a year or two back where the cookers got the brilliant idea to steal a semi truck of anhydrous instead of dealing in smaller quantities.

They would have gotten away with it if their neighbors (they were in town) hadn't dropped a dime to the 5-0 about a semi trailer with a hose leading into the house next door.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jefferson and Franklin, thats close to where I grew up.

It's heavy all over the state.  I believe the State Attorney General spends most of his budget trying to prosecute the problem.  9% and higher unemployment in rural Missouri doesn't help prevent it's popularity.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We had one in town a year or two back where the cookers got the brilliant idea to steal a semi truck of anhydrous instead of dealing in smaller quantities.

They would have gotten away with it if their neighbors (they were in town) hadn't dropped a dime to the 5-0 about a semi trailer with a hose leading into the house next door.

that sounds like a Foxworthy you might be a redneck line
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Hmmmm...well, all I can say is I find it ridiculous that I gotta ask the pharmacist for pseudophedrine when MA seems to not be the preferred habitat of your average meth loser.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#49]
One cannot even go to his duck blind that has not been used in a while with out finding these fools or evidence they have been in it. Even in neighborhoods classified as "nice" with soccer moms, people are cooking up this shitt, with children in the home. Sickening
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top