Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 3:07:53 PM EDT

This kid has got it in his blood. I bet his Grandpappy was a moonshine runner.

7-year-old leads police on chase in parents' pickup

By Associated Press
January 11, 2006

SHELBYVILLE, Tenn. - Eager to get his driver's license, a 7-year-old boy put on his seat belt and remembered to use his turn signal as he took his parents' pickup truck out for a spin, leading police on a slow pursuit around town.

Officers initially thought they were chasing a drunken driver.

"He was weaving and all over the road. He couldn't stay in his lane," Officer Josh Laverette said.

Instead, when the truck finally stopped in front of a home after the seven-mile escapade, they found a second-grader, barely four-feet-tall, behind the wheel. The house belonged to his parents.

"He was so short he had to sit up close to the steering wheel," Laverette said. "Whenever he would brake, he would pick himself up with his left foot and stomp on the brake with his right."

The pickup had swerved through traffic and busy intersections, nearly hitting one car stopped at a stop light and barely missing at least five oncoming cars, Laverette said.

When he finally stopped and authorities talked to him, "He said the reason he took the vehicle was because he wanted to get his license," Laverette said.

Nine years too early for the license test, the boy was charged with driving without a license and eluding police. He faces a hearing later this week in juvenile court.

Susan Daniel described the scene in the streets of Shelbyville, a town of about 14,000 residents 50 miles east of Nashville: "There were like probably five city cars and three county cars and a state trooper" all chasing the pickup.

"It blew my mind because we actually watched him put on his turn signal and turn, and we could see when he went past that he had seat belts on," Daniel said. "Then to come find out it was a child, I was really shocked."
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#1]
There but for the grace of God go I.  

This sounds like something my 11 year old boy would have done when he was 6 or 7.  When he was four, my wife couldn't take him to Lowe's because he would climb on all the tractors looking for the key.  He did find one with a key in it one day and he actually got the tractor started!  After my wife was done with her heart attack, a Lowe's guy went and helped my son turn the tractor off.  I wish I had been there, the kid would have gotten the biggest ice cream he's ever had!

Merlin

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I think to a large degree racers of any kind are born, not made.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Nascar is rigged anyway. Skill has little to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought this was going to be about people racing flying cars.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow.

Unbelieveable.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Nascar is rigged anyway. Skill has little to do with it.

Heretic
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#7]
If your under eighteen you won't be doing any time.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Nine years too early for the license test, the boy was charged with driving without a license and eluding police. He faces a hearing later this week in juvenile court.

I'm just glad he didn't take his dog with him...could have gotten really ugly when he got pulled over...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I thought this was going to be about people racing flying cars.

Shit, Nascrap has to get fuel injection first...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Too late for this?:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top