Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/11/2006 2:21:24 PM EDT
Here's a silly question from a shooter who's new to handguns: how tight should I grip? Before you say it, I realize I need formal training, but I don't have the money right now. I know I have my stance, trigger pull, and hand placement correct but should I squeeze the grip really tight or leave it a little loose? I have noticed when firing my handgun (glock 17) that if I grip very tight I can shoot rapidly with little change in sight picture. However, because my muscles are in tension they shake a little which makes it hard to shoot very accurately. On the other hand, if I grip somewhat loosely, I can shoot more accurately but slower due to recoil. The accuracy difference I am talking is 12" circle at 50 feet versus a 2" circle at 50 feet.
Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:23:12 PM EDT
Bout like you would hold your dick, not to tight yet not to loose.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:24:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By none:
Bout like you would hold your dick, not to tight yet not to loose.

like when I'm peeing or when I'm jackin' it?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:25:37 PM EDT
Not so tight that your knuckles turn white and your hand starts shaking. Go shoot 100 rounds while varying your grip. Whatever grip is accurrate and allows a proper cycle is fine.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:48:39 PM EDT
Here's some good advice:

www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu12.htm

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:53:55 PM EDT
I'm far from a pro at this, but here's what I've learned that helps greatly....

Treat the right hand as a platform for your trigger finger and a "base layer" for your left hand.

It's just there resting on the pistol. Let the left and provide 80%+ of the force of the grip.

This way, your trigger finger is free to do it's job w/o unnecessary tension.

Top Top