Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 12:21:15 PM EDT
I am thrilled
I am having my ACL,MCL and my meniscus repaired.

Anyone ever had an operation like this?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am thrilled

TAG for graphic pics
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Not me, but well wishes and good luck.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I had ACL reconstruction.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife a bunch of times.  I hope you doctor is good.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am thrilled

TAG for graphic pics

I need to get some taken....it is just going to be a scope job.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My wife a bunch of times.  I hope you doctor is good.

I take it the first Doc messed up?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I had ACL reconstruction (patella tendon graft) in '98.

The surgery was a complete success but the first five days after surgery were hell. Pure hell. The pain was so bad it forever altered my concept of what hurts.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Had ACL reconstruction 2 yrs ago using a graft from my hamstring.  Supposed to be considerably less painful than using the patellar tendon and quicker recovery time to boot.  First two or three days were very painful, but I only used crutches for 7 or 8 days.  Overall, it turned out well, and that knee feels better than my other.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope but they did take out 2 hamstrings on my left leg... Yes its a new level of pain! And still is...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Had total knee replacement on both knees this past summer. Not fun! Still recuperating. Good luck, it could be worse!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump for the evening crew.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#12]
My mom had a total knee replacment at the end of December and one at the end of August.

Hope everything works out for you!

Just remember to do your physical therapy and listen to the nurses and such.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I tore up the miniscus in my right knee pretty bad during a struggle with a robbery suspect, had to have it repaired. Not too bad....The pain is more of a throbbing/burning than anything else. They also gave me an awesome brace, that you fill with ice water....That thing is the greatest. It's been about eight years, and I haven't had any problems since.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#14]
It's gonna hurt. I had to increase the frequency of the Hydrocodone for the first few days after because it really hurt. It got tolerable after a few days.

But follow the therapists orders and do your exercises at home and goto all of your therapy appointments and you will come out great.

Much better now than the unstable painful knee I used to have.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Had said procedures done in both knees....They are so much better now.  I am running 25-30mi a week and have no knee pain.  I felt like I gained alot of years back.

Good Luck, You will be sore for awhile.

And have a spinal, don't let them knock you out.  It is real interesting to watch.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Had said procedures done in both knees....They are so much better now.  I am running 25-30mi a week and have no knee pain.  I felt like I gained alot of years back.

Good Luck, You will be sore for awhile.

And have a spinal, don't let them knock you out.  It is real interesting to watch.

I will pass on watching!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I am thrilled

No but I will in a month or so.

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Write "THIS ONE" in magic marker on the leg that needs the operation.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Do the PT stuff they give you. As soon as you can, start working to regain your mobility.

And it is gonna hurt. A whole bunch.

But take advantage of the drugs--don't even TRY to gut it out. If the pain gets on top of you, it ain't gonna go away for HOURS....And talk nice to your nurses.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It is too bad that I should do that!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Look into DMSO. It is a topical medicine that sometimes works wonders after operations like this. You just dab it on the skin with a Q-tip. I have seen some people go from very limited motion after an operation to about half of their normal range of motion -- without pain -- in about thirty minutes.

As an example, I had an operation on my shoulder on a Friday. By Monday, I had a very limited range of motion with the arm. Holding it straight, I could move it maybe six inches. I put a liberal amount of DMSO on my shoulder. Within thirty minutes, I was able to raise my arm up above shoulder level, without pain. A guy I know who also had a shoulder operation had a very similar experience -- hugely increased motion within an hour. My daughter has had knee surgery on both knees and has had the same kind of experience.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously. There are more mistakes than you probably realize. Look at it this way. It is easier to wash off magic marker than it is to deal with an operation in the wrong place. You might want to write "NOT THIS ONE" on the other one, too.

Seriously. Can't hurt.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The first time I had surgery on me knee, the surgeon wrote his initials on the knee he was going to operate on.

The worst part was that it was really messed up from a bike accident.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#25]
had it done on my right knee in 81', its still going strong, but I've had the left knee done 3 times since 95' and it keeps blowing out, the last time the doc said there was nothing more could be done, all the cartlidge was gone, bone was worn and I need a knee replacement, then he smiled and said if I would have quit playing ball and wrecking motorcycles when he advised me to, I wouldn't be setting on his table,

it'll hurt for a few days after the surgery, but by the time a week passes you be up walking without crutches, and will probably be in PT for a several months, and if your therapist were like mine, those little chicks like to see if they can make you hollar when their crankin on your leg.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#26]
good luck man!!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Had ACL reconstruction 2 yrs ago using a graft from my hamstring.  Supposed to be considerably less painful than using the patellar tendon and quicker recovery time to boot.  First two or three days were very painful, but I only used crutches for 7 or 8 days.  Overall, it turned out well, and that knee feels better than my other.

Ditto this exact surgery.  I had minor pain for a few days, although getting around was a bit difficult.  The auto bend you knee device is tough.  Got to work through the swelling and all.  Just stick it out.  I have an extremely high pain tolerance or lack of nerves, not sure which.  Most people report more pain than I had.

Ice is your friend.  Lots of it.  Doc had me make up some special:   Fill 1 gallong zip lock freezer bag with 1/2 alcohol & 1/2 water.  Double bag it.  Put it freezer.  Wrap it in a thin towel for use on the knee.  You will want two of these home made ice bags.  They work GREAT.  Still very pliable when "frozen".  They will only last a week to 10-days and then you need new ones.  Never be without ice.

You will use mass ice / ice bags / alcohol bags for weeks even including PT at a clinic.

Be sure to get a walking brace you can use in the shower, and be darn careful.  

You have 0 stregth in that knee.  Protect it at all times.  

Watch the infection.  A blanched appearance, a little heat to the touch, etc. and you will need anti-biotics.  

The post surgery PT starts before you wake up.  You will likely be in the auto knee bender (can't remember what it is called) when you wake up.  

God when I woke up it felt like they had drilled a hole through my knee and cut off half my hamstring.  Which is exactly what they did!  They got the pain meds in before I passed out.  After that first day, though I hardly had any pain with just a light pain med.  

I stayed in the hospital 1-night and then home 1-day.  Then I was back at work, desk jockey job but still tough considering the daily PT routine I set for myself:
    1.  Up at 0330, stretch, knee bender for 2-hours, ice for 30 minutes, go to work.
    2.  Repeat PT at noon (stretch 1/2 hour, 2-hours knee bender, ice 30 minutes).
    3.  Return to work.  Home at 6 pm.
    4.  Repeat PT at 1900 hours.  
    5.  Bed & sleep like a dead rock.

I kept ice at work.  Ice is your best friend.  

If you don't have to, I would suggest taking off the first 5-days anyway.

In PT, concentrate on getting your proper "gate" back.  Don't allow yourself to develop a limp.  It can get to be a habbit you are never able to break.

I kind of rambled hear, sorry.

One more thing.  I got to see lots of little old ladies that had total knee replacement.  If they can do the total knee, you can do the ACL.  

Lots of the PT gals are smoking hot in shape wonder babes.  They give great heat therapy, ice therapy, etc.   I miss it.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The first time I had surgery on me knee, the surgeon wrote his initials on the knee he was going to operate on.

The worst part was that it was really messed up from a bike accident.  

I can beat that.  I wrote "Do NOT cut off" with a Sharpie on both side of both legs, above and below the knee, and on both feet.  Really.  I guess it worked.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Had it done 6 weeks ago, ACL and meniscus.  Hurt like hell the first 5 days, take the pain meds you will need them. Rehab is the most important, I did every thing twice as hard home as what they made it PT. Mine is about 60%.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Had mine worked on 6 years ago.  They went in and tried to graft it twice before finially taking part of my hamstring and using it.  Hurt like a bitch the first night!  When I woke up from surgery I felt great.  Little did I know tht was just the nerve block working!hen  Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#32]
O’Donahue’s Triad also known as the Terrible Triad comprised of ACL, MCL, and medial meniscus injury

Yikes!  Good luck and a speedy recovery!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I've got an ACL some other guy isn't using anymore. MCL and miniscus repair. If I knew knees could feel this good, I'd of had them both done, and years ago!

If your guy knows what he's doing, no problem.

I got a video of mine, kind of cool.  

You'll need some help for a few days. If you don't have someone around I hope you laid on 3-4 days of premade food.

My surgery did not hurt much in comparision to lots of other things I've done or gone through. In fact I'd rate it a cake walk.

As far as writing on the leg, most surgeries I've had they do it right in front of you before you get put under.

My guy believed in drugs for the first few days so the movement machine was no big deal. Of course I've had guys that didn't and was forces to "augment" with booze. Bad me. I don't think that kind of pain has any benifit myself, so I get rid of it.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I hope it goes very well for you!

HH
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for all the thoughts and advice.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Let us know how you feel tomorrow afternoon.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:40:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Best advice I was ever given.................

Get your range of motion while still under the nerve block!

You come out of surgery at 100% ACL strength (not leg), and it curves down then you build it back up. The range of motion is hard to get once lost.

I used crutches to get home, walked in the bathromm hours later without them and never used them again.

Use the pills like they said ahead of pain, follow terrorists advice. No limp!!!!

Go to sleep and wake up with a new life. That leg wobbling thing they do in the Docs office is creepy, let alone not having any stability pre-op.

Good luck, its easy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Well I am home and Surgery was very routine.

I am doped up on some pain meds but otherwise I feel fine.

I can stand and put weight on my leg and I am trying not to limp!

Went smoother than I thought.
Was in the Hospital for about 7 hours.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Congrats on a smooth surgery. My 2 cents would be get some exercise on it as soon as the knee allows you to. I had a bad sports injury that ramed the tibia into the femor and had to take bone from my hip to repair the bone damage in the knee. After rehab my knee still felt loose when I walked. But as soon as I felt strong enough I got back into sports. The constant exercise made my knee stronger and it tighened back up. Haven't had any problems since.

Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:10:18 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Well I am home and Surgery was very routine.

I am doped up on some pain meds but otherwise I feel fine.

I can stand and put weight on my leg and I am trying not to limp!

Went smoother than I thought.
Was in the Hospital for about 7 hours.

Gald to hear it went well.

How about some pics?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Had that done, now I'm looking for a knee replaement.(Motocross)
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:30:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Glad to hear everything went well!  Now get on that Biodex machine!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top