Posted: 1/11/2006 11:25:08 AM EDT
Cocksucking cunt leeches. That is all.  

ps.  Mother fuckers!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#1]
another frivolus malpractice suit?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#2]
You forgot to ask her if this rag smells like ether again huh? Shame on you!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#3]
They are suing my partner just because she was in the hospital when a case went bad. She wasnt involved in the case and it wasnt her patient.  They are saying she should have got involved.

WTF?  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Cocksucking cunt leeches.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Ya know why they bury lawyers 10 feet down?
Cause deep down, they really are nice people.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ya know why they bury lawyers 10 feet down?
Cause deep down, they really are nice people.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They are suing my partner just because she was in the hospital when a case went bad. She wasnt involved in the case and it wasnt her patient.  They are saying she should have got involved.

WTF?  

Tell her to counter sue the entire firm for not fighting the '86 gun ban.  Sure they weren't even involved in the case, but they are lawyers and therefore should have stood up for the citizens and the constitution.

Goose meet Gander.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#8]
When is open season?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#9]
It's getting to be SOP these days for the lawyers to sue everyone in the damn hospital.  Even nursing is getting to the point where they will all have to carry malpractice insurance.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

ps.  Mother fuckers!

Lawyers are cocksucking cunt leeches just like the rest of us.  Remember that there is no such thing as a lawyer without a plaintiff.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

WTF?  

Holy shit, sorry to hear about that, but if I had to guess your partner is getting sued by an attorney who does not have a fucking clue about how to handle a medmal case.  In our practice, we never take the shotgun approach to medical litigation, if our experts (we don't use whores) find malpractice we sue the responsible party and only the responsible party.  Ninety percent of the time we do not screw around with suing a hospital for negligent credentialing, and even when we have dealt with malpractice by a PA-C we didn't even sue the supervising physician, even though we could have under Nebraska law.  

If it is as you say, and I believe what you have said, I am truly sorry and embarrassed that this has happened.

Just another cocksucking cunt leech,
SBG
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I hereby invoke "cop-bashing" thread rules:

Ya'll are a bunch of internet keyboard commando wannabes.  What happened, did they kick you out of law school?  Couldn't hack it in the courtroom?  You'd last 30 seconds at my job.  Those of us who make arguments for a living, and don't just play with them on the internet, are the only people who know what they are doing - the rest of you Judge Judy watching whiners can STFU.

Did I forget any?

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#13]
So...does your partner have one of those pawyers working for her, or is she flying solo, you know, on principle.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Happened to my dad. He was "backup," to be called I guess if one of the attending physicians dropped dead or something. At risk birth. Sure enough, the kid was screwed up. My dad was down the hall catching up on paper work.

Some areas have data bases of lawyers involved in lawsuits. Need a doc? Tough shitski.

ETA: Of course, there are Eftards in both professions.

THE CURE: Loser pays.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?  

Holy shit, sorry to hear about that, but if I had to guess your partner is getting sued by an attorney who does not have a fucking clue about how to handle a medmal case.  In our practice, we never take the shotgun approach to medical litigation, if our experts (we don't use whores) find malpractice we sue the responsible party and only the responsible party.  Ninety percent of the time we do not screw around with suing a hospital for negligent credentialing, and even when we have dealt with malpractice by a PA-C we didn't even sue the supervising physician, even though we could have under Nebraska law.  

If it is as you say, and I believe what you have said, I am truly sorry and embarrassed that this has happened.

SBG

This particular firm is known for quasi legitimate cases.  They sue for everything.  I have met plaintiffs attorneys that have been more then honorable.  But in this case they are reaching for everything they can.  The bastard didnt even come to the hospital for the dep.  He did it over the phone.  

You need malpractice lawyers to keep docs honest but there has to be some limit or sanction for unwarranted suits.

But the statement about whores is so true.  There are a few in town that are known whores and will say anything the plaintiffs lawyer wants them to say.  They are so well known that their credibility is questionable at best.  But the lawyers keep using them.  I guess the juries dont know.  These two bastards would walk into a meeting and every other doc within 15 feet would move to another seat.

I should have specified that the first post applies to this certain firm and lawyer.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Farging bastages!

Sorry, but I sense a lynch mob mentality forming, and I want to get on the right side early on.

Eric The(AnOunceOfPreventionIsWorthAClaymoreLater)Hun
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#17]
ARDOC,

I'm aware of the rising cost of medical care. Much can obviously be blamed on the increasingly sophisticated equipment. But many of us blame the lawyers gunning for doctors, hospitals and anything that moves. What is your take on why many can't afford healthcare anymore?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
So...does your partner have one of those pawyers working for her, or is she flying solo, you know, on principle.

Thats the rub.  You need the defense attornys to fight the plaintiffs.   I wish I could go at it alone but thats stupid.  I sure hell dont know squat about law, just like the lawyer doesnt know shit about delievering babies.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats the rub.  You need the defense attornys to fight the plaintiffs.   I wish I could go at it alone but thats stupid.  I sure hell dont know squat about law, just like the lawyer doesnt know shit about delievering babies.

I know, Doc, I was just making a point.  I spent years defending MDs from stuff like this.  Overinclusion is the rule.  The real measure of a good Pl atty is how fast they can determine who belongs at the party and who should be cut loose.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
ARDOC,

I'm aware of the rising cost of medical care. Much can obviously be blamed on the increasingly sophisticated equipment. But many of us blame the lawyers gunning for doctors, hospitals and anything that moves. What is your take on why many can't afford healthcare anymore?

Spyda, lawyers are only a small cog in the healthcare monster that we have created.  A lot of it has to do with insurance, the increase use of technology, high cost of medicines, and in some small part litigation.

Most of the cost occurs indirectly.  You try to avoid a lawsuit so you practice defensive medicine.  You get that MRI when you know the patient doesnt really need one.  But if you miss something, you could end up in the poor house.    

On the average OB/GYNS pay anywhere from $50-150K per year in malpractice insurance.  That means I would have to do 50-100 deliveries before I even broke even on the insurance.

It used to be that half of the gross would go toward cost and the rest was salary for the doc.  That is no longer true and its more like 1/3 to 1/4.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?  

SBG

This particular firm is known for quasi legitimate cases.  They sue for everything.  I have met plaintiffs attorneys that have been more then honorable.  But in this case they are reaching for everything they can.  The bastard didnt even come to the hospital for the dep.  He did it over the phone.  

You need malpractice lawyers to keep docs honest but there has to be some limit or sanction for unwarranted suits.

But the statement about whores is so true.  There are a few in town that are known whores and will say anything the plaintiffs lawyer wants them to say.  They are so well known that their credibility is questionable at best.  But the lawyers keep using them.  I guess the juries dont know.  These two bastards would walk into a meeting and every other doc within 15 feet would move to another seat.

I should have specified that the first post applies to this certain firm and lawyer.

+1

Just to be fair, we sue bad lawyers too!

Unscrupulous lawyers from both sides like to use whore experts because they will say what you want and at the very least should be able to get you to trial.  We prefer to use experts who are known for doing fair and responsible work for both plaintiffs and defendants, because when we send a report drafted by the same doctor the defense attorney would have used to defend the case, things tend get settled much quicker.  

Still a cocksucking cunt leach,
SBG

PS -- If I wouldn't get in trouble for a COC violation "cocksucking Cunt Leach" would become a regular part of my profile.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, Doc, I was just making a point.  I spent years defending MDs from stuff like this.  Overinclusion is the rule.  The real measure of a good Pl atty is how fast they can determine who belongs at the party and who should be cut loose.

Ah ha!  One of the good guys!
Let me buy you a beer sometime.

The shotgun approach seems to be SOP.  They whittle down the names eventually but it means  lost hours of work and it kills your schedule.  Not to mention what it does to your disposition.  People wonder why I am cranky all the time!  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The worst part about you is that you are from that corn state!

You should be happy every team that has beaten the Wolverines in a bowl game becomes the National Champion the next year.

So it looks like the HUSKERS will be #1.   Go Big Red!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Overinclusion is the rule.  The real measure of a good Pl atty is how fast they can determine who belongs at the party and who should be cut loose.

+1,000,000

However, try explaining to a family that has lost a mother that you are only going to sue the surgeon and not the entire hospital staff who treated them poorly as their mother's condition deteriorated throughout the night and that you aren't going to sue the second physician who responded to the code and was seen by the husband watching TV while the rest of the staff worked to "revive" his wife.  That is not an easy conversation to have.

Causation is a bitch to explain to a grieving family.

SBG
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey guys, I got accepted to law school two weeks ago
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So it looks like the HUSKERS will be #1.   Go Big Red!

You are officially on my DNS ("Do Not Sue") list now.

SBG
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

ps.  Mother fuckers!

Mother Fucking, Cock Sucking, Know It All, My Shit Don't Stink DOCTORS!

Hey, did it ever cross your mind that not all lawyers are plaintiff's lawyers?

And without plaintiff's lawyers you saw bones would just cut'em and forget about'em.

After all, all a cock sucking MD cares about is getting out to the golf course.

My apologies to all of the intelligent doctors out there, but dumb ass doctors like this one really piss me off. You would think that a man with 20+ years of education would know better than to make an asinine statement like his first one.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ps.  Mother fuckers!

And without plaintiff's lawyers you saw bones would just cut'em and forget about'em.

My apologies to all of the intelligent doctors out there, but dumb ass doctors like this one really piss me off. You would think that a man with 20+ years of education would know better than to make an asinine statement like his first one.

Sounds like someone needs to get the sand out of their mangina.
Its called a sweeping generalization, most people who are angry make them, but don't really mean them.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ps.  Mother fuckers!

img194.imageshack.us/img194/8897/gerbilangst6cb.jpg
Sounds like someone needs to get the sand out of their mangina.
Its called a sweeping generalization, most people who are angry make them, but don't really mean them.  

Yeah, I thought the Doc needed to clean out his mangina too.

Thanks for pointing that out death medic.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Welcome to t he club.  Even police these days carry legal insurance.  I was once named in a wrongful death suit even though i was fishing in Florida at the time.

Reason?  I was the rangemaster for the officer's qualification three years previously, even though he didn't shoot anyone.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I hereby invoke "cop-bashing" thread rules:

Ya'll are a bunch of internet keyboard commando wannabes.  What happened, did they kick you out of law school?  Couldn't hack it in the courtroom?  You'd last 30 seconds at my job.  Those of us who make arguments for a living, and don't just play with them on the internet, are the only people who know what they are doing - the rest of you Judge Judy watching whiners can STFU.

Did I forget any?

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ps.  Mother fuckers!

Need I say more. Next time you get you insurance bill you can blame shitbags like this guy.  He also missed the fact that I said not all lawyers later in the thread.  Do you really want a lawyer who doesnt read everything before he spouts off or has such a thin skin he explodes?  

SBG has a sense of humor and you can tell he is an honorable counselor.  This guy speaks for himself.  LOL.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Citadel, SBG:

Any reason ARDoc's Partner can't sue the Attorney (and patient) for Slander/Libel & Defamation of character?  Lawsuits are public records (probably Libel as that is the written word).  The Plantiff's Attorney made a public statement (Via the lawsuit) that his partner committed Malpractice.  Assuming it can be easily proved that his partner had no responsibility in the case, wouldn't it then fall under those guidelines?  By filing the suit and naming his partner, the Plantiff's Atty makes the implication that they have proof of Malpractice.  

I know it is probably a fantasy--but it would cut down on a lot of frivolous lawsuits (and the Shotgun method) .   Might work under existing legal doctrine rather than trying to go to a Loser Pays system (although I would bet that comes down the pipe in the future, also).

My Attending's story:
Bunion correction on welfare lady.  She had 9 kids (most of whom showed up at the office visits).  
Did simple Bunionectomy on patient.  Correction was good, but not as much as he wanted (the patient was also non-compliant from the condition of the bandages, etc.).  When the patient came for her first Post-Op visit (with no major complaints other than normal post-op pain), he explained about the correction being OK, but not ideal.   (Realize, she has still has stitches in place and also the pins holding the bone cuts in place--stitches due out in 1-2 more weeks, pins due out in 5-6 weeks.).
Patient makes no comment.
Never shows up for followup visit.
My attending gets sued.
His insurance Co. has experts review the case--he did NOTHING wrong.  However, they decide it would be cheaper to settle for $62k (out of the $150k she initially asked for) than to try to fight it in court.  My Attending gives in to the insurance co.  (he says he will NEVER do that again)--he is 4 years out in practice and can't afford to take a lot of time off for the legal issues.

AFARR

I should add:  They teach us in Podiatry school that you will be sued.  Even if you do everything right, someone will sue you.  Document clearly is the best defense.  Being honest with your patients, especially when things go wrong, and building a good relationship with them is a good way to help prevent suits.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#35]
She should call a fireman or chiropractor. That way she can be protected without getting lawyer cooties. God forbid she call somebody who knows how to make the cocksucker who filed the case pay, and will enjoy doing it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#36]
The only job types that have given me aggrevation in all my years belong to the following categories:

1) Politicians
2) Lawyers
4) HMO
5) Insurers

I bet these are common for others which says very much.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

WTF?  

Let me guess who is defending you?

Oh ya, that would be a laywer.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?  

We definitely need lessons on reading comprehension in this group.

1. Its my partner, not me.
2. As already pointed out, a lawyer is defending her.  
3. Why dont read the entire thread before posting. Otherwise your comments are just a waste of bandwidth.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?  

We definitely need lessons on reading comprehension in this group.

1. Its my partner, not me.
2. As already pointed out, a lawyer is defending her.  
3. Why dont read the entire thread before posting. Otherwise your comments are just a waste of bandwidth.

No more than your whinning.  And its not even your whinning its your parters.  Don't blame the lawyer, blame the dumbass "injured" patient.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ps.  Mother fuckers!

Need I say more. Next time you get you insurance bill you can blame shitbags like this guy.  He also missed the fact that I said not all lawyers later in the thread.  Do you really want a lawyer who doesnt read everything before he spouts off or has such a thin skin he explodes?  

SBG has a sense of humor and you can tell he is an honorable counselor.  This guy speaks for himself.  LOL.

No you don't need to say more. You've said enough already. Many members of this forum are lawyers and it is in poor taste to post a topic and first post to that topic like yours.

Yes I did waste my time reading the rest of your posts, but your subsequent posts hardly made up for your first post.

Why do you call me a shitbag? Because I give you a dose of your own medicine (pun intended)?

The reason for high insurance bills may also be the insatiable desire of doctors to make more and more money. Or the fact that pharmaceutical reps often make 6 figure salaries. Or the fact that a large percentage of the population doesn't pay their medical bills and the medical providers have to make it up somewhere else. Or the insurance companies are just plain ripping us off. Or the med schools for turning out incompetent doctors who butcher innocent people. Or me 'cause I sue incompetent doctors.

But I really doubt that you can blame it on one guy on AR15.com that got tired of hearing some doctor bitch about an entire profession.

edited to add: Thin skinned? Maybe you are used to being called a cocking cunt leech, sir, but I am not.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ps.  Mother fuckers!

Lawyers are cocksucking cunt leeches just like the rest of us.  Remember that there is no such thing as a lawyer without a plaintiff.

Mostly the plaintiff is an insurance company trying to recoup a claim.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#42]
...... .... is it safe to come out? .......
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Citadel, SBG:

Any reason ARDoc's Partner can't sue the Attorney (and patient) for Slander/Libel & Defamation of character?  Lawsuits are public records (probably Libel as that is the written word).  The Plantiff's Attorney made a public statement (Via the lawsuit) that his partner committed Malpractice.  Assuming it can be easily proved that his partner had no responsibility in the case, wouldn't it then fall under those guidelines?  By filing the suit and naming his partner, the Plantiff's Atty makes the implication that they have proof of Malpractice.  

I should add:  They teach us in Podiatry school that you will be sued.  Even if you do everything right, someone will sue you.  Document clearly is the best defense.  Being honest with your patients, especially when things go wrong, and building a good relationship with them is a good way to help prevent suits.  

Depends on the jurisdiction, here in Kali, there's an ABSOLUTE litigation privelege.  Nothing said during a lawsuit can be the basis of slander or defamation.

There is abuse of process, but those cases are so hard they only exist in legal textbooks.

About the only recourse here is to tell them you are going to beat them on a summary judgment motion, then you are going to pursue them for costs as the prevailing party.

It's only 10-20k, but it's the only hammer we have.

That's why they do it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lawyers --our senators and representatives-- have rigged the whole show so everyone involved has to have one on the payroll or they get proper fucked. No matter who wins in a court case, the lawyers get paid.

*Plaintiff's attorney
*Defense attorney
*Judge

Why do our senators and representatives --almost all attorneys-- keep the system as it is instead of instituting real tort reform? Because they know they can always go back to suing the voters if they get thrown out of office on their shiny asses one day.

www.harrywalker.com/photos/Edwards_John.jpg

Actually, around here, if a plaintiff's attorney loses, he gets nothing.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ps.  Mother fuckers!

No you don't need to say more. You've said enough already. Many members of this forum are lawyers and it is in poor taste to post a topic and first post to that topic like yours.

Yes I did waste my time reading the rest of your posts, but your subsequent posts hardly made up for your first post.

Why do you call me a shitbag? Because I give you a dose of your own medicine (pun intended)?

The reason for high insurance bills may also be the insatiable desire of doctors to make more and more money. Or the fact that pharmaceutical reps often make 6 figure salaries. Or the fact that a large percentage of the population doesn't pay their medical bills and the medical providers have to make it up somewhere else. Or the insurance companies are just plain ripping us off. Or the med schools for turning out incompetent doctors who butcher innocent people. Or me 'cause I sue incompetent doctors.

But I really doubt that you can blame it on one guy on AR15.com that got tired of hearing some doctor bitch about an entire profession.

edited to add: Thin skinned? Maybe you are used to being called a cocking cunt leech, sir, but I am not.

golf clap and

PS: we know you are frustrated, to the OP, and can sympathize, but only if you don't generalize.

Lighten up francis its the internet.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Cocksucking cunt leeches

Yes they can be. I was married to one for 13 years...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Obviously you are out of touch.  Desire to make money?    So I am greedy because they pay me .35 cents on the dollar.   You should look in the mirror because PL are the greedy ones.  Why do YOU DESERVE 1/3 of the take?  Why cant you just bill like other lawyers  for the hours you work? Because thats peanuts compared to the millions that you make.  So dont call people greedy without looking at yourself first.

I treat people everyday without getting paid. I saw 4 patients for free today.  Over $50k per year by myself.  I wish this was tax deductable. The hospitals gives out over $100 million a year  between the two facilities. So we are the greedy ones?

How many clients have you represented and didnt take any money when you received a settlement or a judgement?  None I bet.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Obviously you are out of touch.  Desire to make money?    So I am greedy because they pay me .35 cents on the dollar.   You should look in the mirror because PL are the greedy ones.  Why do YOU DESERVE 1/3 of the take?  Why cant you just bill like other lawyers  for the hours you work? Because thats peanuts compared to the millions that you make.  So dont call people greedy without looking at yourself first.

I treat people everyday without getting paid. I saw 4 patients for free today.  Over $50k per year by myself.  I wish this was tax deductable. The hospitals gives out over $100 million a year  between the two facilities. So we are the greedy ones?

How many clients have you represented and didnt take any money when you received a settlement or a judgement?  None I bet.

It's called Pro Bono, and it happens every day. You see, as a plaintiffs attorney you base your fee on a contingency agreement. If the client doesn't win you don't get anything. Therefore you see people everyday who don't have a case you want to take on, but you still give them legal advice. Further, often you get a client whose case looks good but your verdict / settlement doesn't cover your fees and his loss. Usually we will eat our fees in that case. And then sometimes you just take a case for free to keep the Bar Association off your back. They like to see us do good things for the community.

Why don't I charge my clients an hourly rate. Because they can't afford it. Your average individual simply does not have the capital available to take on a corporation or for that matter a rich doctor. The contingency fee arrangement allows the law firm to take on the expenses prior to recovering damages. Put a moment worth of thought into it. If you negligently chopped your indigent client's foot off when you where supposed to remove his gall bladder couldn't you just pay more lawyer fees than your client, thereby muscling him out of his legal claim. If attorneys only took hourly saleries you could.

In my town it is actually hard for a plaintiff's attorney to make it. There are too few cases to go around, the verdicts are to small, and tort reform has limited the size of the judgments in medical malpractice cases.

When you take on a medical malpractice case you must hire medical experts (doctors). You guys don't come cheap. 40k won't get you a whole lot, and sure won't guarantee a verdict in your favor. For every plaintiff's attorney who wins a $1,000,000 case there is 10 that lose their ass.

And actually, we get 40%.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#49]

If you negligently chopped your indigent client's foot off when you where supposed to remove his gall bladder

Recoil--That is why Doctors HAVE malpractice insurance.  Unfortunately, a lot of the cases are more "He took my gall bladder out and it hurt" or "I have a bad scar" or "I can't eat the greasy food I like" and the plantiff's atty files anyway figuring the Insurance will settle just to keep their costs down.  

If you file a $100k suit without much merit, and the Insurance comes to you and says "we'll give $30k to make it go away", how much are you (& your firm) out of pocket (not that you would necessarily file a claim like that, but in general).    Sounds like ARDoc's partner is stuck in a similar situation.

insatiable desire of doctors to make more and more money.
 Actually, Doctors are making LESS and LESS.  Medicare cuts fees (they are going to pay 4% LESS this year than last year--that doesn't include the increased recordkeeping requirements, etc) and the private health insurance companies then follow suit.  You call it "Pro Bono", my attendings call it "Getting Screwed"--if someone on Medicaid (Public Assistance) comes into the office, they get their service at Less than the office overhead costs (the office loses money on each of them).   Regardless of lawsuits--if I walked into your office and asked you to (for example) Write a Contract.  You would likely quote me 2 hours of billable time at $200/hr.  I would be expected to pay that $400.  As a Doctor,  Medicare/Medicaid or Private Insurers can say "you can bill the $400 but we will only pay you $150" and if you don't like it, we will take your name off our listings and you will not have any patients come to your office".    If someone on the street did that, the gov.org would call it extortion.

AFARR

AFARR
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
It's called Pro Bono, and it happens every day. You see, as a plaintiffs attorney you base your fee on a contingency agreement. If the client doesn't win you don't get anything. Therefore you see people everyday who don't have a case you want to take on, but you still give them legal advice. Further, often you get a client whose case looks good but your verdict / settlement doesn't cover your fees and his loss. Usually we will eat our fees in that case. And then sometimes you just take a case for free to keep the Bar Association off your back. They like to see us do good things for the community.

So it's not really goodwill, it's just for show? Imagine that.

Why don't I charge my clients an hourly rate. Because they can't afford it. Your average individual simply does not have the capital available to take on a corporation or for that matter a rich doctor. The contingency fee arrangement allows the law firm to take on the expenses prior to recovering damages. Put a moment worth of thought into it. If you negligently chopped your indigent client's foot off when you where supposed to remove his gall bladder couldn't you just pay more lawyer fees than your client, thereby muscling him out of his legal claim. If attorneys only took hourly saleries you could.

In my town it is actually hard for a plaintiff's attorney to make it. There are too few cases to go around, the verdicts are to small, and tort reform has limited the size of the judgments in medical malpractice cases.

When you take on a medical malpractice case you must hire medical experts (doctors). You guys don't come cheap. 40k won't get you a whole lot, and sure won't guarantee a verdict in your favor. For every plaintiff's attorney who wins a $1,000,000 case there is 10 that lose their ass.

And actually, we get 40%.

What the legal system has been perverted into is little more than a legal lottery - sue away until you hit the motherlode.

Considering the courts & legislatures are loaded up with lawyers (who are not going to cut their own economic throats) there is little likelihood of it changing anytime soon. It is bleeding this country dry. It stifles new product development and drives people out of fields that actually contribute to the common good. Our state is losing Docs left and right thanks to lack of meaningful tort reform.

Damn shame, because there are some pretty bright people that chose law for a career who otherwise might have been able to make a positive difference. Now it's little more than wrangling back and forth between teams of lawyers "for" or "against" a client, and we are supposed to sit on the sidelines and be grateful.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top