Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 10:15:43 AM EDT
Our dog was diagnosed with a heart murmur yesterday.

Among other medications, the vet reccomended a low sodium diet, Hill's "HD" Prescription Diet.

I bought some, but it was pricey.

The more I think about it, though, the more idiotic it seems that a low sodium dog food would be available by prescription only. It's not like a medication that someone would take.

So it's obviously a scam to let the vets control distribution.

Which is where YOU all come in.

How can I get this stuff cheap?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:46:41 AM EDT
Bump for a little help.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:50:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:04:35 AM EDT
Why does it have to be Hills? I would think that it would be a complete diet , not only the dry food .For what it's worth e mail these breeders,they can give you complete feeding instructions and the reasons why your feeding your dog these things . They breed Shepherds but this will work with any dog. I think you have to ask for their instructions now but you can probably do that with an e mail.I don't work for them ,only know that the diet works. The food isn't cheap but the money you save not going to the vet will pay for itself.Try www.heidelberg-usa.com
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:10:48 AM EDT
My dog has bad kidneys and is on Hill's KD. I have looked and have not found it anywhere but my vet. Paying $2.00/pound sucks but I'm one of those dog loving weirdos. Hope someone can help.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:36:07 AM EDT
The reason you cannot find it is because its a low volume product, and all the food made goes to vets. Who else is going to pay that much for food?

Your best bet is a local feed store that might carry unusual local brands, some are all nature and what not.

I would compare other foods with the Prescription Diet stuff. See if there is a real difference. Remember, just because it is recommended does not mean you need it. Hell, who doesn't need less sodium in their diet?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:05:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:21:44 PM EDT
How old is your dog? How serious was the murmur. I do believe that they use a number system for seriousness.

If you have only taken it to one vet for a checkup, try taking it to another vet.

If the dog is a puppy (under 6months) wait till after 6months or close to a year. I have heard of a lot of puppies being diagnosed with a slight murmur and then after a while they grow out of it.

Personally, I only feed my dogs a raw diet from Bravo Raw Diet. My dogs only see the vet when they need a rabies shot which is required by the state and the day after I get them from the breeder (as per the warranty). And, two out my three dogs were diagnosed with a heart murmur when they were puppies, after a few months they were murmur free. I also had them checked by a few different doctors to be sure.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:08:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:

Originally Posted By FunYun1983:
I would compare other foods with the Prescription Diet stuff. See if there is a real difference. Remember, just because it is recommended does not mean you need it. Hell, who doesn't need less sodium in their diet?

There IS a difference. The Vets don't make diddly off of RX food, so their only motivation for recommending it is concern for your animal.

I've heard it all....

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:32:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:34:17 PM EDT
our cat is on the stuff after having a bad urinal issue. Ever seen a cat cry?
Top Top