Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 7:44:38 AM EDT
It's the one about the Episcopal priest who pops Vicodin, sees Jesus, and has a gay son, a heterosexual horndog son, and a daughter who sold pot to raise money for making comics on the internet. It's suggested that his wife is a drunk. His mom has alzheimer's, and his father (a semiretired bishop) is banging the current (female) bishop.

The American Family Association is up in arms over it.

I didn't find it particularly offensive, and I am a devout Episcopalian. I did find the level of disorder and wreckage in the guy's family almost comically implausible. The character has a doctoral degree, makes good money, has been married 20+ years, and knowingly entered a profession that focuses on teaching, compassion, and decency. I find it difficult to imagine that a person like that would have such a train wreck of a family. The gay kid is apparently fine, but the other 2 act like they were raised on the street. Usually, you get kids like that by being completely oblivious to them - not by maintaining a stable home with a stay-at-home mom.

Anybody else have comments?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:46:07 AM EDT
[#1]
With ten minutes left to the show, my wife and I were wondering what form of sin or perversion they were going to throw in next.

Entertaining, but the level of depravity in that show was off the charts for television programming.

ETA: We won't be watching it any further.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Not worth my time!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:47:10 AM EDT
[#3]
They are discussing it in the Religious forum
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Stuff I remember about the show:

Main character (priest) is hooked on drugs (Vicodin)
His son is gay
His adopted son is engaged in premarital sex with a local girl
His daughter is a pot dealer to fund her internet anime hobby
His wife is possibly a drunk
His housekeeper is a druggie and a thief who steals the daughter's pot stash
His brother-in-law steals all the church's money
His wife's sister (wife of the guy who ran away with the church money) is a lesbian
His bishop (a woman) is a drinker, perhaps a drunk
His father, also a bishop, is having an affair with the female bishop
He takes the name of God in vain (swears)
He sanctions a young couple having sex before marriage (the girl smokes pot, btw)

I wonder if I missed anything.

The show is a disgrace. The language is awful. The perversion is thick.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#5]
What does this have to do with gay cowboys?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What does this have to do with gay cowboys?

Tune in next week....

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#7]
1. It's a midseason show
2. They placed it on fridays. In midseason.
3. 1+2 = show is a stinker they had written off.
4. Because of #3, they're looking for publicity any way they can get it, in order to see if they can save this turkey.
5. Enter the American Family Association and free publicity.

The AFA played right into their hands. If they hadn't bothered protesting it, nobody would have even hard of the show. It would have disappeared after 13 weeks, maybe sooner.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It's the one about the Episcopal priest who pops Vicodin, sees Jesus, and has a gay son, a heterosexual horndog son, and a daughter who sold pot to raise money for making comics on the internet. It's suggested that his wife is a drunk. His mom has alzheimer's, and his father (a semiretired bishop) is banging the current (female) bishop.

The American Family Association is up in arms over it.

I didn't find it particularly offensive, and I am a devout Episcopalian. I did find the level of disorder and wreckage in the guy's family almost comically implausible. The character has a doctoral degree, makes good money, has been married 20+ years, and knowingly entered a profession that focuses on teaching, compassion, and decency. I find it difficult to imagine that a person like that would have such a train wreck of a family. The gay kid is apparently fine, but the other 2 act like they were raised on the street. Usually, you get kids like that by being completely oblivious to them - not by maintaining a stable home with a stay-at-home mom.

Anybody else have comments?

Implausible?  Apparently people even want their non-fiction to be implausible.

news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060110/ts_alt_afp/afpentertainmentus_060110183129

Next we'll have full-length feature cartoons with gay, violent or just plain weird themes.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:48:30 AM EDT
[#10]
They took Firefly off the air for this piece of 'lo so'?

Tssh bring back Firefly!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top