Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 7:03:40 AM EDT
I was at Gander Mountain last night looking at a Timber Ridge gun safe. It says it's made by liberty. It has a dial combination lock (not electronic), which I like.

The one I was looking at was (iirc) 14/28 safe and was rated 1200F for 45min and cost $799.

It sounded like a good deal to me. What does ARFCOM think? I tried to look for a link to show the specs, but for some reason I couldn't find any info on this safe anywhere online and Gander didn't have any brochures available, so hopefully some people here will be familiar with it.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought the same one when the had a sale last year - IIRC, I paid about $675 for mine.   I'll look at my docs when I get home and see if I can find any more info for you.

It's an excellent safe for the money, but damn, they do seem to fill up quick.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:18:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I bought the same one when the had a sale last year - IIRC, I paid about $675 for mine.   I'll look at my docs when I get home and see if I can find any more info for you.

It's an excellent safe for the money, but damn, they do seem to fill up quick.

Ok, thanks. The main thing I was worried about is the lock. I've heard that there are some dial type locks that are crap and will break easily. I don't want to go with an electronic one though. Relying on batteries just isn't appealing to me.

IIRC this one said S&B on the dial lock. Don't know if that is the brand or not, but does anyone know if this safe has a good quality lock on it?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:22:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:32:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Are you sure you want this safe?

Thanks for the link. Looks like I will be avoiding that one then. So, what would you suggest in the same price range? I'd be willing to go up to $900.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Cannon.    Onsite warranty work.

Check into a local safe company.   Avoid the big box places
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you sure you want this safe?

Thanks for the link. Looks like I will be avoiding that one then. So, what would you suggest in the same price range? I'd be willing to go up to $900.

Sam's club has about the best deal on safes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yes, but REAL safes, or fancy lockers?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Cannon.    Onsite warranty work.

Check into a local safe company.   Avoid the big box places

Thanks, I'll check into that. My budget is about $900...I don't know if that's enough to get me a "real" safe or just a fancy locker.

If anyone knows of a safe for under $900 that would be a good one let me know. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I checked my local yellow pages. Not many non-big box safe stores in the area. There's one that carried Liberty safes, that's it. Couldn't find a Cannon dealer.

Sounds like the Liberty safes that are actually any good are out of my price range.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#10]
BTT

I found a place in town that sells the American Eagle (Cannon) model AE31 for $900.

What's this one like?

From the thread linked to above it sounded like any safe that does not have active bolts on all sides of the door is just an expensive locker. Does the AE31 have bolts on all sides? I can't tell for sure from the website.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but REAL safes, or fancy lockers?

Real safes, I assume.  My buddy has one
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#12]
My Sam's club safe just arrived.  I ordered it two weeks ago.  The Winchester safe that sam's sells is made in fort worth by granite safe.  The safe is UL listed for security and for fire.  It has dual relockers and the door is set back into the body with tolerances tight enough that you couldn't get knife in the gap let alone a screwdriver.  I went with the electronic keypad because those are harder to crack than the mechanical locks.  I paid $813 for the 60x30x22" safe with free shipping.

dave.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
BTT

I found a place in town that sells the American Eagle (Cannon) model AE31 for $900.

What's this one like?

From the thread linked to above it sounded like any safe that does not have active bolts on all sides of the door is just an expensive locker. Does the AE31 have bolts on all sides? I can't tell for sure from the website.

I have a few safes. This is one of them. Would like to hear opinions.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:22:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BTT

What's this one like?

I have a few safes. This is one of them. Would like to hear opinions.

*UPDATE*

I went to the place selling the American Eagle AE31 safe and it was actually another $100 off ($800 final price)!!! So, it was priced the same as the Timber Ridge I was looking at.

Not only is it a bigger safe, but it seemed to me to be much better constructed and didn't have any of the problems that the Timber Ridge seemed to have. The door is inset from the front and has very, very tight tolerances, so I don't see how you could wedge anything inbetween the door and frame to try and pry it open, not to mention that on the hinge side of the door that whole edge is completely covered by the frame when the door is closed.

The interior was night and day difference, much better the the Timber Ridge. The only thing that I kind of didn't like is that it had the electronic keypad (LeGuard I think). But after thinking about it some more I'm not as opposed to the electronic one.

They only had one in stock so I bought it. I'll be picking it up next week. I hope it's as good as I think it is!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top