Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 5:29:05 AM EDT
Here we go again, gas prices on the rise, what is the price of gas around your area?
Los Angeles, People's Republic of Kalifornia, it is $2.38 to $2.58 a gallon of unleaded.

I hate those greedy speculators.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:30:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, it started going up here last week.  It was 2.09 or somewhere there then it jumped to 2.19, then 2.26, then back down to 2.19.  I think the gas stations were trying to figure out how much they could rape us for.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:31:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it was 2.20 something last time I filled up. Seeing as thats like once amonth, I dont pay much attention to small changes in gas prices.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:32:28 AM EDT
[#3]
In NC we are at 2.33.

Max
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:35:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I wonder what natural disaster they will blame this hike on?

I know, I know, before the oil apologists get on, its supply and demand, its economics, etc, etc....

But it seems to follow a definite pattern...a big spike in prices, everyone gets pissed off, prices drop dramatically, but then start to rise again, not quite getting to where they were....but now everyone has been prepped, and are thankful it isn't back up to over $3.00....
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:35:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Mid 2.30's....I guess since everyone quit complaining and the media quit asking and Congress is busy with other non issues, they figured they could start jacking up pricing again.

Who do you think will be the 1st to come in here screaming and defending and giving us an earful about it being an open market, etc?

Imagine how bad it is going to be for our kids? $5.00+ per gallon.

I am selling off my sign install company due to gas pricing effecting everything from my out of pocket costs for fuel and raw material pricing going up.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:36:12 AM EDT
[#6]
$2.18
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:38:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Here we go again, gas prices on the rise, what is the price of gas around your area?
Los Angeles, People's Republic of Kalifornia, it is $2.38 to $2.58 a gallon of unleaded.

$2.459 for low grade here.  It was $2.059 for the same thing about 5 weeks ago.

It's all a matter of getting the people used to the price.  It will go up til people bitch, then drop back down just not back to the original price.  In a month or two it will do the same thing.  Just shows how they raise it incrementally so people don't get too upset.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:40:54 AM EDT
[#8]
$2.35 this morning for Regular. It was just under $2 just the week before Christmas. What gives?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:52:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Wish we could do that with the price of wheat.  Still at depression, 1930's, levels.  Its a bitch when a bushel of wheat and a gallon of diesel are the same price.

edited cause I cant speell
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:01:59 AM EDT
[#10]
$2.49 here.    It has gone up $.20 in two weeks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:03:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Can't blame the rise on heating oil demand. I heard on the radio this morning that 70% of the US is having record warm temp this winter.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:04:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It is wintertime, lots of people heat with OIL what do you expect?  Also the DOW hit 11,000 the economy is on a roll.  A good economy means energy is consumed.  Quit bitching about the people who make a buck.  Instead of complaining about people who are profiting on it, write letters to your representives and tell them you want drilling in ANWR now, and more refineries.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:12:34 AM EDT
[#13]
It's probably due to Ariel Sharon;s stroke.  Uncertainty in the supplies due to Mideast unrest always seem to cause a price spike at the pump.

We need to drill some holes in that Alaskan wasteland and build some refineries to stabilize prices.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:14:48 AM EDT
[#14]
$2.25 for 87 octane here
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:16:36 AM EDT
[#15]
The key is that the cold winter (high heating oil and high natural gas prices) has not materialized, especially in the south.  That was the plan, to shift profit to those resources but now they see they're going to have a hard time justifying that.  So, they have to go back to the primary money-maker to make up the difference.  

I have noticed that the warm winter has not stopped the natural gas companies from jacking up prices dramatically.  This trickles down to electricity as well because most of our generating plants are gas-fired now.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:21:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm not a big fan of drilling ANWR.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:25:16 AM EDT
[#17]
In my opinion, anyone who believes drilling in ANWR will lower prices is a fool.  It will cost us a lot more in the form of taxes spent subsidizing the drilling.  On top of that the companies will be able to claim that the cost to get the oil has gone up, thus raising our prices.  Then they'll justify profits because of the "risks" they are taking.  It won't affect prices to our advantage by a single penny.

I could be wrong but I've never in my life seen some scheme like this work to the taxpayer/consumer's advantage.  If ANWR results in cheaper oil that simply means more profit for the companies.  They saw how dependent we are last summer.  Might as well get used to it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:29:12 AM EDT
[#18]
$2.21 in Pearland this morning.

HH
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:45:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Now we are seeing the ACTUAL results of the hurricanes from last summer. The price hikes at the time had nothing to do with the price of oil. It was panic and profiteering. You are now seeing the price-of-oil results.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:48:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, it's been jumping $0.05 to $0.07 overnight, wait a couple days, jump again........
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:50:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
In my opinion, anyone who believes drilling in ANWR will lower prices is a fool.  It will cost us a lot more in the form of taxes spent subsidizing the drilling.  On top of that the companies will be able to claim that the cost to get the oil has gone up, thus raising our prices.  Then they'll justify profits because of the "risks" they are taking.  It won't affect prices to our advantage by a single penny.

I could be wrong but I've never in my life seen some scheme like this work to the taxpayer/consumer's advantage.  If ANWR results in cheaper oil that simply means more profit for the companies.  They saw how dependent we are last summer.  Might as well get used to it.

Well said.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:00:09 AM EDT
[#22]
$2.49 in Southern IN
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:08:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Boy you conspiracy theorists are starting to sound like the wack jobs at DU....

All you want to know about gas prices and more....
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I read on CNN yesterday that the hike in gas prices occured due to uncertainty in the middle East, and because of oil price speculation. If you haven't noticed, oil has been back up to well over $60 lately, and that accounts for half of the price of gasoline.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#25]

I read on CNN yesterday that the hike in gas prices occured due to uncertainty in the middle East, and because of oil price speculation. If you haven't noticed, oil has been back up to well over $60 lately, and that accounts for half of the price of gasoline.

As I said, damn speculators!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:40:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It's probably due to Ariel Sharon;s stroke.  Uncertainty in the supplies due to Mideast unrest always seem to cause a price spike at the pump.

We need to drill some holes in that Alaskan wasteland and build some refineries to stabilize prices.

+1 or so I've been told..
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#27]
i firmly believe that the only reason that it came down from 3 dollars was so people would spend their asses into debt during the holiday season,...i said to everyone i know that after the first it would bang right back up again...particularly at tax time   it was a "feel good" temporary reduction...fuel will be 5 plus very soon    untill next december anyways
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top