Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 5:21:06 AM EDT
Normally on wood floors you can tack it down. How do I lay carpet on cencrete? Do I have to glue it down? Also, I'd like to give it a bit of cushion being that its concrete and all. Do they make some type of rubber pad to put under the carpet to give it a bit of cushion?
How does it all go together? Do I glue the rubber mat down, then glue the carpet to the mat or what?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:24:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I usually just get her naked and throw a towel down to keep from getting concrete burns on my knees..

Oops.. Sorry you ment carpet..
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:25:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I had my basement done recently.  They put a normal pad down as the rubber would not let moisture escape from the concrete.  As you may know, concrete wicks moisture.

They used cement nails to secure the tack strips along the wall and laid the carpet just as they would on any other floor.  Not sure this helps.

G
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:26:15 AM EDT
[#3]
If the concrete is dry and no moisture is getting in, just glue and screw down the tack strips. You can use regualr padding. You can also lay down a thin plastic just to make sure the moisture stay off.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:26:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I usually just get her naked and throw a towel down to keep from getting concrete burns on my knees..

Oops.. Sorry you ment carpet..

Thanks wiseass
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:29:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Horse hair padding is good for concrete floors instead of that rubber stuff you find at homedepot.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:31:05 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a tackstrip (tackless) made for concrete. Any flooring supply house as well as the big chains will have it. Any pad will due. There is some heavy rubber pad out there designed for crete. Tape the seams and the perimeter to the tackless. Instead of tape you may use seamsealer. install carpet the same as any other.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:42:40 AM EDT
[#7]
at the TV station I worked at they used carpet "tiles" on the raised floor. It was held down with a removable adhesive
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:44:34 AM EDT
[#8]
You may want to seal the concrete before you put the carpet pad down. Concrete will allow water to wick through to the carpet over time (if you are at ground level).
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:52:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
at the TV station I worked at they used carpet "tiles" on the raised floor. It was held down with a removable adhesive

When I operated for the airlines, our ops dept had a "hollow" floor for wiring, the carpet squares were nice, couldn't tell with the pattern they had, and when people needed to go down in there, they pelledd right out and back down.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:54:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Thompsons Water Seal the concrete.

Lay Foam padding. Leave 3 inch border along all walls for double face tape to sit on concrete.

Double Face Carpet tape border along the edge of the walls.

Lay carpet, pull tape on one side of the room and stick it by walking on it.

Stretch carpet and stick it on opposite end.

I install miles of carpet a year installing trade shows.

Gitterdone.

HS1
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:54:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I operated for the airlines, our ops dept had a "hollow" floor for wiring, the carpet squares were nice, couldn't tell with the pattern they had, and when people needed to go down in there, they pelledd right out and back down.

The damn concrete tiles were heavy though. I caught a finger once
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thompsons Water Seal the concrete.

Lay Foam padding. Leave 3 inch border along all walls for double face tape to sit on concrete.

Double Face Carpet tape border along the edge of the walls.

Lay carpet, pull tape on one side of the room and stick it by walking on it.

Stretch carpet and stick it on opposite end.

I install miles of carpet a year installing trade shows.

Gitterdone.

HS1

+1

You have got to have a vapor/moisture barrier or you risk having a nasty smelling mold infested mess in a couple of years due to moisture coming up through the concrete.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top