Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 5:39:46 PM EDT
I'm guessing it's so the driver knows if they have a flat tire.  What's the deal?

If that's the case, why don't they have some kind of alarm that goes off whenever some 8th grader is the recepient of a hummer?  That's all kids are doing these days, according to the media.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never noticed sucha  chain. Guess I'll have to ask some of my former coworkers that have moved on to that sort of thing....

I would think the driver would know they had  a flat by that flopping noise and different driving sensation that clues the rest of us in.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm guessing it's so the driver knows if they have a flat tire.  What's the deal?

If that's the case, why don't they have some kind of alarm that goes off whenever some 8th grader is the recepient of a hummer?  That's all kids are doing these days, according to the media.

It's for dragging ignorant children behind the bus.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The chains are for what the tires miss.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If a kid trys to skip school by ducking under the bus, he'll be chain-whipped into a red pile of mush.

Shhhhhh! Don't tell the libs or they'll ruin it for us.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Snow chains.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#6]
You may also see them on Fire trucks and ambulances.

they are snow chains.  The driver flicks a switch and they beging to rotate and swing out in a circle.

Some are lined up under the tires and others are extended out towards and under the tires.  As they rotate they are dragged under and provide traction to the back tires.  

That way the don't have to stop and install actual cahins per tire.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

they are snow chains.  The driver flicks a switch and they beging to rotate and swing out in a circle.

Some are lined up under the tires and others are extended out towards and under the tires.  As they rotate they are dragged under and provide traction to the back tires.  

We never had those on buses when I was growing up, nor have I seen them in use on any school buses in my area even today. I see the buses wearing snowchains if the weather is that bad, or school is simply closed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We never had those on buses when I was growing up, nor have I seen them in use on any school buses in my area even today. I see the buses wearing snowchains if the weather is that bad, or school is simply closed.

Dude, come on. You really need to look at the statement above and think about it real hard.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#10]
got pics?

any chance to disperse static?  (and .gov brain waves)
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:44:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
[We never had those on buses when I was growing up, nor have I seen them in use on any school buses in my area even today. I see the buses wearing snowchains if the weather is that bad, or school is simply closed.

Dude, come on. You really need to look at the statement above and think about it real hard.

I know what HE was saying; I was simply saying they aren't in use in my area, or on the buses.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#12]
They hypnotic sound of the chains makes the children more compliant and aids in liberal brain washing.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Geeze - the answers you guys come up with...........
ELECTRIC GROUNDS.

In case of lightening, or hitting a power cable.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It's for dragging ignorant children behind the bus.

DANG!.....you beat me too it!  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Static electricity discharge ??? (Hey, I'm just guessing)
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

ELECTRIC GROUNDS.

+1

We have the drop down snow chains on all our fire apparatus and are constantly having problems with them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#17]
All this talk of chains, buses, and static electricity is making me horny.

Be back later.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#18]
sight-rail was correct.  They are snow chains. See the link for a description of how they work.

Automatic Tire Chains

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
ELECTRIC GROUNDS.

don't the tires already do that?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What's snow?

Snow is white lumpy rain.

Didn't you ever watch Gilligans' Island?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#21]
It's a kid-net.  If the bus driver is running late he disperses the net at about 35 mph near the bus stop and reals in his catch on the run.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ELECTRIC GROUNDS.

Rubber is more of an insulator than a conductor, IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#23]
They dangle chains like those thugs with long wallet chains.....obviously its a 'cool' bus driver....sheesh dont you know anything?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#25]
They are used as defense against anti-tank weapons.

They copeid it from the Germans in WWII. "It's for the children"
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What a snowchain?

What's snow?

doesn't in come in 8 balls in california?

Don't tell them that! They'll move up here in droves.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
ELECTRIC GROUNDS.

Rubber is more of an insulator than a conductor, IIRC.

That's exactly his point, my friend.  Rubber isolates the body from the ground...  Ergo, no dissipation and no electrocution.  Something must be grounded for current to seek its source.  High-voltage boots are complete rubber composite, which means you get the "buzz" without the "hangover."  If you're in a car and a powerline falls down on it, stay inside and you're safe.  Jump out and never touch both the car and the ground at the same time, and you're safe.  Put one foot on the ground, you are officially Elmo on tannerite.    

BTW, are you EVER going to answer my PM?  Been waiting 2 weeks.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What a snowchain?

What's snow?

doesn't in come in 8 balls in california?

So much for leadership by example

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:00:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Ooops!

You sent me a PM?  

I don't think I got it!!  

... can you resend?  Or send it by email.  I'd been looking for an email from you, but didn't want to hassle you.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#30]
The government figures "Well we gotta spend this money on school buses. We'll waste/pocket half of it. But now we need to make each dollar do twice as much. So make the buses twice as useful. The school buses we intend to buy will double up as Minesweepers."
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Sometimes they are regular snow chains just hanging on hooks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Maybe not the same thing but...If you look at a lot of the high efficiency autos they now have low rolling resistence tires.  These tires for whatever reason will not  dissipate the staic electricity that a moving vehicle builds up so they added what looks like a grounding strap that hangs from the bottom of the car.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ooops!

You sent me a PM?  

I don't think I got it!!  

... can you resend?  Or send it by email.  I'd been looking for an email from you, but didn't want to hassle you.

Aw shit.  Are you kidding?  I had like 100 questions I wanted elaboration on for those papers, and have been thinking you were still on vacation.  You never got the damned PM?  Are you sure?

Hamburger balls.  OK, I'll see what I can remember and read them all again.  They were fairly generic questions, but I put a LOT of effort into that PM.  Nuts.

I'll get something to you tomorrow.  Sorry, bud.  I thought you had it and would answer it in your own time.  Rats.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ooops!

You sent me a PM?  

I don't think I got it!!  

Aw shit.  Are you kidding?  I had like 100 questions I wanted elaboration on for those papers, and have been thinking you were still on vacation.  You never got the damned PM?  Are you sure?

Hamburger balls.  OK, I'll see what I can remember and read them all again.  They were fairly generic questions, but I put a LOT of effort into that PM.  Nuts.

I'll get something to you tomorrow.  Sorry, bud.  I thought you had it and would answer it in your own time.  Rats.  

I'll send you an IM - already sent you one, so look for a second one.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Bus Bling
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:21:46 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ooops!

You sent me a PM?  

I don't think I got it!!  

Richard,

The "Send & Save Copy" button is your friend.  It has been mine in the past, as well.  

If someone doesn't get the PM, you've still got a copy of it you can copy/paste from, so no add'l brainpower/memory spent on remembering.

Best,

Jake.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:31:03 AM EDT
[#37]
learn something everyday here.

WRT to grounding issue....ground straps are as old as cars and recently making a comeback for some reason. Tires don't dissipate the charge, and the charge builds until it jumps the gap to the ground....in a big spark.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top