Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 4:35:49 PM EDT
I'm soon going to be in the market for some kind of low magnification optic for my black rifle. I have seen much about the Aimpoint, Eotech, etc. I have not, however seen much posted concerning ATN products. I know they're mainly known for their nightvision offerings, but has anyone here had any first hand experiences with their Reflex model red dots? Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I got one on the way via UPS. Hope I didn't mess up! Thankz for all the damn input!
'Cheese
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Since you already ordered one the answer is no
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#3]
never used one but i here they have an awful reputation
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Heavy as a tank and won't hold a zero to save its ass, you should be able to recoup most of it on Ebay when you decide to get a better one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]
So, ya'll are saying that I've bought myself a g*ddamn turd?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So, ya'll are saying that I've bought myself a g*ddamn turd?

No you bought a heavy turd that tends to have a nice yellow tint to the glass!! Congrats!!  This was covered about a week ago when someone asked about ATN.  I don;t think he bought one though after the input on the other thread.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#7]
define "turd"...

If it gives you pleasure to shoot it, then it is not a turd. Most scopes can outshoot most shooters when you're talking about a standard AR and blasting away with Wolf, Silver Bear, Winchester White Box, American Eagle, etc...There's a lot of talk (bs) about sub MOA groups with AR's, especially on this board. Fact of the matter is that the ATN scope is not the weakest link when sitting on top of a non-SEVERLY TWEAKED Ar-15.

All I'm saying is don't go buying any match grade ammo for it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I had an ATN scope back when, cheap scope on a cheap put-together AR.  Never had any problems with it holding zero.  Don't know about durability as I sold AR with scope not too long after.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, where the hell were all of ya'll when I asked the FIRST time! Day'um! I thought I was doing something respectable, by buying what I thought was a upper level red dot. I could've bought a Hakko and all I would've had to put up with was the discerning looks from all the "silver spoon" Trijicon shooters. Why me Lord?! Why me?!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#11]
If it works for you, then great!

If it doesn't work, Ebay it and buy something else.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, as for it being heavy; just how heavy can a red dot be? What's it made of, lead? I don't think a little red dot scope could weigh all that much! I'm disappointed in that, I'm not buying any of the "prestige" that the 'spensive sighting systems have. Could affect my overall satisfaction rating..... Awww, F*ck it! I'm still excited about my purchase! I'll piss and moan only after it proves to be a "turd". Delivery is expected Tuesday afternoon. Range report will be posted sometime before next weekend.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#13]
My reflex sight is okay for the range but that's as far as I'll go.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#14]
i have a 5X33 l i think for my bushmaster.   it works great.  1/8 clicks.  bullet drop compensator.  not had a problem  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#15]
good evening.

if you are talking about the 'digital ultra sight', they are pretty cool.  they make one that has 4 reticule patterns and one that has 5.  the one that has 5 has a 2 moa dot [single dot].  it is a pretty good sight as far as red dot sights go.  mine holds zero just fine, but i loctite scope mounting screws too.  use the loctite that wicks.  i think that  is 209.  gun room is upstairs and i am lazy.

i also have a 6-24 ATN scope.  big heavy sucker.  81mm objective i think.  good scope but way too heavy for anything but benchrest stuff.  the yellow glass takes some getting used to.  it is the one with the bullet drop compensation cams.  it is on a longer range rifle.  varmint gun.

i debated with myself a long time before i bought the dot sight because i thought i wanted an EOthing.  for my purposes, this is fine and cost about half as much.  it is on a 16" ar that is my 'go  to' and close quarter gun.  the 'carry' ar if you will.

it ain't any big trick to shoot ragged holes with it all day long at 50-75 yards.  this is 5 or 10 shot ragged holes.  more if you want but it gets hard to count the holes then.  my youngest boy likes it too.  he can shoot better with it than he can with a glass scope.

don't let these guys get you down.  everybody has an opinion, along with some other stuff.  try it.  see if you like it.  if it works for YOUR purposes, then it is ok.  a red dot sight isn't a precision shooting instrument anyway.  the dot covers your target.  

it is my opinion that a lot of people are far too anal about 'group size'.  minute of headshot is good enough for me.  of course, a lot is going to depend on your own shooting skills and the purpose of the rifle/scope/optic/etc.  in one way or another, there is always some compromise involved.

if you are looking to punch small holes in paper, you will probably be happier with something else.  if you want a quick to sight, light, reasonably accurate, 'fighting sight', it will probably work for you.

i hope this helps.  which sight did you order?  i lust after some of their night vision stuff.

peace.
billr
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
good evening.

if you are talking about the 'digital ultra sight', they are pretty cool.  they make one that has 4 reticule patterns and one that has 5.  the one that has 5 has a 2 moa dot [single dot].  it is a pretty good sight as far as red dot sights go.  mine holds zero just fine, but i loctite scope mounting screws too.  use the loctite that wicks.  i think that  is 209.  gun room is upstairs and i am lazy.

i also have a 6-24 ATN scope.  big heavy sucker.  81mm objective i think.  good scope but way too heavy for anything but benchrest stuff.  the yellow glass takes some getting used to.  it is the one with the bullet drop compensation cams.  it is on a longer range rifle.  varmint gun.

i debated with myself a long time before i bought the dot sight because i thought i wanted an EOthing.  for my purposes, this is fine and cost about half as much.  it is on a 16" ar that is my 'go  to' and close quarter gun.  the 'carry' ar if you will.

it ain't any big trick to shoot ragged holes with it all day long at 50-75 yards.  this is 5 or 10 shot ragged holes.  more if you want but it gets hard to count the holes then.  my youngest boy likes it too.  he can shoot better with it than he can with a glass scope.

don't let these guys get you down.  everybody has an opinion, along with some other stuff.  try it.  see if you like it.  if it works for YOUR purposes, then it is ok.  a red dot sight isn't a precision shooting instrument anyway.  the dot covers your target.  

it is my opinion that a lot of people are far too anal about 'group size'.  minute of headshot is good enough for me.  of course, a lot is going to depend on your own shooting skills and the purpose of the rifle/scope/optic/etc.  in one way or another, there is always some compromise involved.

if you are looking to punch small holes in paper, you will probably be happier with something else.  if you want a quick to sight, light, reasonably accurate, 'fighting sight', it will probably work for you.

i hope this helps.  which sight did you order?  i lust after some of their night vision stuff.

peace.
billr

It's the 5 reticle Digital red dot I have on order.  I'm not looking for a Nikon Monarch in this thing, just a quick aiming, short range, defensive sight. I figure it'll be adequate for 100yd shooting. It's hilly around here, with lot's of foliage. Not too many opportunities for 1000K shots anywhere around these parts!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#17]
wally world sell the 1x red dot for 175 around here
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Got mine for $139 on eBay!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It's the 5 reticle Digital red dot I have on order.  I'm not looking for a Nikon Monarch in this thing, just a quick aiming, short range, defensive sight. I figure it'll be adequate for 100yd shooting. It's hilly around here, with lot's of foliage. Not too many opportunities for 1000K shots anywhere around these parts!

Where you at in NC?  I was born and raised in McDowell County.  Damn do I miss WNC.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Well, as for it being heavy; just how heavy can a red dot be? What's it made of, lead? I don't think a little red dot scope could weigh all that much! I'm disappointed in that, I'm not buying any of the "prestige" that the 'spensive sighting systems have. Could affect my overall satisfaction rating..... Awww, F*ck it! I'm still excited about my purchase! I'll piss and moan only after it proves to be a "turd". Delivery is expected Tuesday afternoon. Range report will be posted sometime before next weekend.

Just how heavy is pot metal?  Just giving you shit...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where you at in NC?  I was born and raised in McDowell County.  Damn do I miss WNC.

I am a native of Mount Airy, N.C.  AKA "Mayberry RFD". Home of Andy -by God- Griffith. Hilly and beautiful. I lived outside of Houston, Texas for about a year, but moved back home. Can take the man out of the mountains, but..... So, you're in Korea? Stationed? What's the story?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am a native of Mount Airy, N.C.  AKA "Mayberry RFD". Home of Andy -by God- Griffith. Hilly and beautiful. I lived outside of Houston, Texas for about a year, but moved back home. Can take the man out of the mountains, but..... So, you're in Korea? Stationed? What's the story?

I've been thru Mt Airy a few times, very nice area.  I'm in the Air Force and stationed here in Korea for  68 more days, then I'm moving to FL.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been thru Mt Airy a few times, very nice area.  I'm in the Air Force and stationed here in Korea for  68 more days, then I'm moving to FL.

Cool! My father was in the Airforce many years ago. The recruiter promised all kinds of great jobs, but stuck my dad with a cooks position. He come looking for that lying sack o' shit recruiter, the first chance he had. It worked out in a positive way for him though. He got stationed up in Alaska, somewhere near the Knacknac (sp)? river. Had a blast hunting, fishing, etc.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I had one. Took it out twice and the reticle turned sideways inside the scope

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I had one. Took it out twice and the reticle turned sideways inside the scope

Did you have to pay extra for that feature?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Isn't that then "gangster lean" model sold to gang members?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#27]
My brother has an ATN Digital.

Works fine for him.

I wouldn't go into combat with one, but for plinking, I see nothing wrong with it.

Hell, I'd even use it, in a pinch, for defensive purposes, but I'd feel much better with an EoTech.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#28]
ATN!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Yuck it up all ya want! I'm very pleased with my purchase! It suits my intended purposes very well. If there's any complaint, it's that there's a little residual reflection in the glass coming from the sides of the diode housing. It's not a major bother though. It seems to hold zero on my RRA very well and I was very impressed with how fast it helped me target. Reflex seems to be a very good adjective for this sight.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#30]
marginal at best , you can get better stuff for the same $$
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

such as???
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

such as???

for a magnified scope virtally anything made by bushnell and some of the lower end nikons

I have had many a customer come in to get ATN stuff boresited and mounted  alot of them would not adjust or  stay zeroed
for a reflex sight like you got those are not bad  not alot out there besides holosites and Eotechs
and they are a ton more money
I personally would prefer one of the bushnell red dots with the diffrent reticles  they sell for around $75 and would be just as goood or better than the ATN

but as always YMMV and it just my opinon

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, I can see where someone might have a different opinion that myself..LOL! I got a pretty good price on it, and it meets my requirements well. Oh yeah, I just had to have that "gangster lean" look on my RRA! Heh-heh!
Cheese'
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
mine broke about 2 months ago. 5x33pro it's over 10 years old and i have litterally beaten the shit out of that scope. the scope NEVER had a zero problem and it along with the rifle has been dropped more than a few times. The scope still works but the battery compartment for the illuminated reticle fell apart. after the abuse it's seen i am amased it lasted as long as it did. It has a lifetime warranty for such thing but i'll probably stick this one on a 22 until it finally just dies.

is that like a double-negative?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top