Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 1:50:58 PM EDT
Well sort of. I (and I say *I* lightly, and under duress) broke a drag link on my swaybar. How, might you ask? Why, by hooking onto my swaybar with a tow strap and a Blazer, of course!. Snow handling isn't one of this car's finer points.

Anyway, I suggested that hooking onto the swaybar wasn't a good idea, but a man who shall remain nameless insisted that a cold-rolled steel swaybar WILL NOT break. He was right. The drag link did.

This man who may or may not be married to my sister felt pretty bad about it. So we decided to not cry over spilled milk, let bygones be bygones, shake hands, and holster our weapons. We then went to work fixing the problem.

Normal people with lots of money might call a dealer, wait 3 days and take it up the ass. We're not normal. Why do all that, when you can fix it yourself? I don't know either. Ladies and gentlemen, I present "An Illustrated Guide to Fixing a Fuck-up":

First, survey the damage. Yup it's broken. Second, cuss Ford for not painting the differential.

Next, grind the part down and have a closer look. Yup, broken. It's a clean break though, and it could be welded up without a problem.

Next, fire up the MIG and get to it. Threaten the welder with dismemberment if penetration is not sufficient.

Next, grind the weld down so that everything looks nice.

Grab a beer from the fridge and admire your handywork.

Finish cleaning the part, hang it from the rafters with bailing wire, and powder coat it.

Toss it in a $25 dollar oven purchased for just this sort of thing, and wait an hour.

Next, forget to take a pic of the completed part. Anyway, it came out REALLY glossy and it was re-installed. It actually looks 10x nicer than the other one. One of these days, I'm going to pull the other one off and re-powder coat it so they match.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Future thread title from SubnetMask:

"Why does my car pull to the right?"
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude you powder coat? thats awesome can i send ya some stuff
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Future thread title from SubnetMask:

"Why does my car pull to the right?"

The alignment is just fine.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I can hear that guy from tool talk grunting...good job.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't tell how many times I've almost bought the Hotcoat system.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I don't see why not, within reason.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#7]
considering it has a straight axle assy and not an independent rear, I doubt it will pull.

Gary
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#8]
is an entire ford 9" housing within reason .

J/k
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well sort of. I (and I say *I* lightly, and under duress) broke a drag link on my swaybar. How, might you ask? Why, by hooking onto my swaybar with a tow strap and a Blazer, of course!. Snow handling isn't one of this car's finer points.

Anyway, I suggested that hooking onto the swaybar wasn't a good idea, but a man who shall remain nameless insisted that a cold-rolled steel swaybar WILL NOT break. He was right. The drag link did.

This man who may or may not be married to my sister felt pretty bad about it. So we decided to not cry over spilled milk, let bygones be bygones, shake hands, and holster our weapons. We then went to work fixing the problem.

Normal people with lots of money might call a dealer, wait 3 days and take it up the ass. We're not normal. Why do all that, when you can fix it yourself? I don't know either. Ladies and gentlemen, I present "An Illustrated Guide to Fixing a Fuck-up":

First, survey the damage. Yup it's broken. Second, cuss Ford for not painting the differential.
alan.strawinski.net/images/mustang/Broken_Drag_Link/051216022312.JPG

Next, grind the part down and have a closer look. Yup, broken. It's a clean break though, and it could be welded up without a problem.
alan.strawinski.net/images/mustang/Broken_Drag_Link/051216022358.JPG

Next, fire up the MIG and get to it. Threaten the welder with dismemberment if penetration is not sufficient.
alan.strawinski.net/images/mustang/Broken_Drag_Link/051216022956.JPG

Next, grind the weld down so that everything looks nice.
alan.strawinski.net/images/mustang/Broken_Drag_Link/051216023658.JPG

Grab a beer from the fridge and admire your handywork.
alan.strawinski.net/images/mustang/Broken_Drag_Link/051216024152.JPG

Finish cleaning the part, hang it from the rafters with bailing wire, and powder coat it.
alan.strawinski.net/images/mustang/Broken_Drag_Link/051216025354.JPG

Toss it in a $25 dollar oven purchased for just this sort of thing, and wait an hour.
alan.strawinski.net/images/mustang/Broken_Drag_Link/051216024938.JPG

Next, forget to take a pic of the completed part. Anyway, it came out REALLY glossy and it was re-installed. It actually looks 10x nicer than the other one. One of these days, I'm going to pull the other one off and re-powder coat it so they match.

you pretty much deserve a broken Mustang...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
is an entire ford 9" housing within reason .

J/k

I don't think it will fit in the oven...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
you pretty much deserve a broken Mustang...

Oh, I got what was coming to me. *I'M* not the guy who broke it, but I could've put my foot down and said "Oh hell no, you Blazer drivin', tow-strap-hookin' Neanderthal!" At least my stupidity is compensated with tools from "Oh Now You've Gone and Done It Dumbass, Inc". I'm a huge shareholder.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I can't believe you did not think of the mounting of the bar.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:18:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I can't believe you did not think of the mounting of the bar.

I can.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#16]

You should be severly beat for driving a 2005 mustang in the winter.

Salt, rust, snow, ice, those are not good things for an American car.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Rust on a 2005

Dang I don't miss that crap. My eight and ten year old cars don't have a lick of rust save under the hubs where the condensation from the hot brakes sometimes collects. I grew up in Chicago with rust and just figured since I joined the Navy and started living in warmer climates that they just figured out how to treat medal to prevent rust.

Every differental on a 2005 Mustang I've ever seen is rusty. Mine looked like that before a single grain of salt ever hit it. It's not painted, and cast iron is gonna rust. Even in California.

I'm going to pull the rear off, blast it and powdercoat it sometime this year. This is also my stang's last winter. Truth be told, I haven't driven it in a couple of weeks. Rust scares me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You should be severly beat for driving a 2005 mustang in the winter.

Salt, rust, snow, ice, those are not good things

The car is driven up on ramps and pressure washed immediately after being driven. It's also it's first and last winter. One year of mild snow and salt (it's been a light year) isn't going to hurt a thing. I've seen cars around here driven daily for 10 years with nary a spot of rust. The owners are quite meticulous, though (like me).

At any rate, the plan is to park it as soon as I get a beater truck.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Pustang<Blazer
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Pustang<Blazer

You got that right!

<----------
2005 TrailBlazer owner
Former 2000 Blazer owner
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pustang<Blazer

You got that right!

<----------
2005 TrailBlazer owner
Former 2000 Blazer owner

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey Subnet check out the new sigline
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hey Subnet check out the new sigline

Heh.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Speaking of Mustangs:

Once upon a time, my dad purchased a 1986 Ford Mustang LX four-cylinder.  POS didn't even begin to describe it.

No working tachometer, radiator troubles, no working door lock, and the trans went out.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Rust on a 2005

Dang I don't miss that crap. My eight and ten year old cars don't have a lick of rust save under the hubs where the condensation from the hot brakes sometimes collects. I grew up in Chicago with rust and just figured since I joined the Navy and started living in warmer climates that they just figured out how to treat medal to prevent rust.

Every differental on a 2005 Mustang I've ever seen is rusty. Mine looked like that before a single grain of salt ever hit it. It's not painted, and cast iron is gonna rust. Even in California.

I'm going to pull the rear off, blast it and powdercoat it sometime this year. This is also my stang's last winter. Truth be told, I haven't driven it in a couple of weeks. Rust scares me.

Mine isn't.  It's painted, and the cover is shiny.  A couple brackets that attach to it are rusty though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Speaking of Mustangs:

Once upon a time, my dad purchased a 1986 Ford Mustang LX four-cylinder.  POS didn't even begin to describe it.

No working tachometer, radiator troubles, no working door lock, and the trans went out.  

Ahem. Speaking of Blazers, The Blazer that pulled me out has a broken temp guage, burns oil, a hood that shakes, sloppy steering, horrific gas mileage, an out of balance driveshaft, a slipping transmission, interior rattles, fading brakes, and alot of wind noise. So, what's your fucking point?

Comparing a new 300hp Mustang to an 86 Fox body with a 4 banger, is kind of asinine. Further, drawing comparisons between a Mustang of any vintage and a  Blazer - two COMPLETELY different vehicle types - is overwhelmingly retarded.

For the life of me, I will NEVER understand people's insistence on perpetuating car "A" vs car "B" arguments. KNOCK IT OFF. Do you people have any idea how ridiculous this crap is? If you've got detailed fleet service records, talk to me. Otherwise, STFU.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Rust on a 2005

Mine isn't.  It's painted, and the cover is shiny.  A couple brackets that attach to it are rusty though.

Well, I'll be damed. 05? How did I get shafted.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Speaking of Mustangs:

Ahem. Speaking of Blazers, The Blazer that pulled me out has a broken temp guage, burns oil, a hood that shakes, sloppy steering, horrific gas mileage, an out of balance driveshaft, a slipping transmission, interior rattles, fading brakes, and alot of wind noise. So, what's your fucking point?

Comparing a new 300hp Mustang to an 86 Fox body with a 4 banger, is kind of asinine. Further, drawing comparisons between a Mustang of any vintage and a  Blazer - two COMPLETELY different vehicle types - is overwhelmingly retarded.

For the life of me, I will NEVER understand people's insistence on perpetuating car "A" vs car "B" arguments. KNOCK IT OFF. Do you people have any idea how ridiculous this crap is? If you've got detailed fleet service records, talk to me. Otherwise, STFU.

Fair enough.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#29]
More on the rusty differential:

I'm reading this month's issue of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords, and they have pictures of a suspension upgrade on a CLEAN 05. The underside of the car is spotless. Hell, there isn't even a smudge on the stickers affixed to the diff. It's rusted just like mine. I'm suprised somebody here owns one that's actually painted.

Gunlovr8: Are you SURE your is painted, and not undercoated or something? Wierd.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I'm reading this month's issue of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords, and they have pictures of a suspension upgrade on a CLEAN 05. The underside of the car is spotless. Hell, there isn't even a smudge on the stickers affixed to the diff. It's rusted just like mine. I'm suprised somebody here owns one that's actually painted.

Gunlovr8: Are you SURE your is painted, and not undercoated or something? Wierd.

Yep.  Uploading pics, be up in a minute.

That pg 1 pic, I never knew they did that.

ETA:

It's a 6 banger, built I think in May 05
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#31]
EVERYONE knows you hook it around the axle near the diff......
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  Uploading pics, be up in a minute.

That pg 1 pic, I never knew they did that.

ETA:

i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/gunlvr8/DSCF0012a.jpg

i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/gunlvr8/DSCF0008a.jpg

It's a 6 banger, built I think in May 05

I think the rear diff is different on the V6. Hmmm....

Well, ya learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Well, almost everyone...

Keep kicking me while I'm down, guys.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#34]
For future reference, watch out for the brake lines on the rear axle.......
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:08:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, almost everyone...

The last time I have had anything to do with a tow strap and a sportscar we used a 1996 Camaro Z28 to tow a busted up prelude from WMUs campus to a highschool autobody shop. (approx 10-12 miles).  The sad thing is that the camaro still out-accellerated my car, by a lot.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, almost everyone...

The last time I have had anything to do with a tow strap and a sportscar we used a 1996 Camaro Z28 to tow a busted up prelude from WMUs campus to a highschool autobody shop. (approx 10-12 miles).  The sad thing is that the camaro still out-accellerated my car, by a lot.

Ouch!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#37]
When I buy a new vehicle I get under it and paint all of the bare metal parts. There are alot of them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Heres a friend of mines coating shop ....he can do anything for ya..http://www.coatingspecialties.com/
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Just take it to Brokedick Mountain. They can fix it, and your rear end too.

(sorry, couldn't help it)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top