Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/10/2006 10:51:11 AM EDT
I'm re-painting a room. The trim (baseboards, door frame, window sills, etc) is all oak... or some kind of wood.

Rather than replacing it all, is there any reason I should NOT just paint over it?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:55:38 AM EDT
If they were stained and varnished, paint over them first with a good stainkill or your paint will chip off every time they are bumped.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:56:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:57:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:02:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:

Originally Posted By out-a-ammo:
If they were stained and varnished, paint over them first with a good stainkill or your paint will chip off every time they are bumped.

I thought about that but he said "re-painting."

Re-painting the room. Not the trim.
The trim is still "wood looking".
I kind of assumed it was that pre-stained trim you can buy, but I don't know. It was in the house when we bought it. I assume because the majority of the floors are hardwood and it matches. But I plan on laying a piece of carpet in the room so the wood trim really doesn't go with the planned "look" of the room.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:02:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2006 11:03:37 AM EDT by Mike_Mills]
If the wood is truly oak, you may have trouble painting it. Oak has very large open pores. When painted, these pores result in a surface texture that many find objectionable.

The pores have to be filled before finishing with a surface finish (varnish, paint, etc.) but this takes a lot of extra time.

If the wood is unfilled oak, you will likely be better off removing it and replacing it with new, pre-primed trim.

Put another way, if the wood has a smooth surface then paint away. If it has a super rough surface, replace it.
Top Top