Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 8:40:47 AM EDT
Anybody have any experience with the products currently on the market to DIY a garage floor?  I am particularly interested in the preparation work necessary, results received and your experience of the durability of the end product.

Garage floor has just been poured within the last six months.  It has no paint or other sealant products applied to it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used the DuPont product on my floor and it's OK.

However, if you have a new garage flloor that you want to preserve, have it done professionally.
There's a huge diffrence in quality and thickness when professionals do it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Anybody have any experience with the products currently on the market to DIY a garage floor?  I am particularly interested in the preparation work necessary, results received and your experience of the durability of the end product.

Garage floor has just been poured within the last six months.  It has no paint or other sealant products applied to it.

I used the one Home Depot sells that you mix with a can of actuator and sprinkle on paper flakes while it is wet.

It looks good, but appears a little thin. Cleanup is easy.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#4]
make sure your floor is CLEAN
the temps are warm enough
and make sure the floor is CLEAN
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
make sure your floor is CLEAN
the temps are warm enough
and make sure the floor is CLEAN

I had an older floor with cracks and gouges.
I filled the cracks and the gouges and acid etched the floor to make sure I got everything.
Worked OK, but still thin (Two gallons of total epoxy per side).  I used the small cans of silicate to add a gripping surface to the floor.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#7]
All I can say is you'll need twice the amount the cans of epoxy tell you that you need.

Figure out the square footage - then double it!

YMMV.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought mine from Griot's Garage.  It'll work well if you follow the instructions (degrease, etch, etc)  About 3 gallons for a large 2 car garage.  It's a two day job, so plan ahead.  Day One: clean out garage, prep surface, lay down first coat late in the afternoon.  Day Two:  Lay down second coat early in the morning before the first coat hardens too much.  Then it's another week before the paint is hard enough to drive on.   Home Depot sells a kind of thin concrete mix that you can pour to smooth out the surface.  Wish I knew beforehand.  Rent the gas-powered power washer instead of electric one.  You need enough power to wash out all the dust from acid etching.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#9]
You'll need to vacuum any dust, totally remove any stray oil or grease, then etch the new 6 month old floor with muriatic acid to give it tooth. Zep Purple works fine for oil spots. The directions for the etching will be on the package of muriatic acid.
It's a very durable product but a bitch to touch up later. My personal preference, and what I suggest to my customers and use in my own garage and basement, is an epoxy fortified latex porch and deck paint. You touch up just the wear areas every few years with a brush or roller.
FWIW
YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top