Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 5:31:45 AM EDT
www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/003200601101784.htm

EU court: airlines must compensate passengers for delays

Brussels, Jan. 10 (AP): European airlines lost a legal bid today that aimed to strike down new EU rules guaranteeing passengers compensation for flight delays or cancellations.

The European Court of First Instance said the rules were a fair penalty that didn't discriminate against low-cost carriers, dismissing the airlines' claims that the rules infringe on international agreements and breach existing legal principles.

The new rules came into force in February. They oblige airlines to pay passengers up to USD 725 if they are bumped off a flight, double the previous limit. Similar compensation is on offer if the airline is held responsible for cancelling a flight.

Delays of two to four hours will require airlines to serve snacks or full meals, while delays over five hours entitle passengers to a refund and a hotel room if necessary. Refunds for round-trip flights must be offered if the journey is no longer necessary, for example if a business meeting is missed.

The court said air passengers whose flights are delayed suffer more than train or ferry travelers.

"Because, in particular, of the location of airports, which are generally outside urban centers, and of the particular procedures for checking-in and reclaiming baggage, the inconvenience suffered by passengers when such incidents occur is not comparable," it said.

It rejected a complaint by the European Low Fares Airline Association that the rules were unfair to budget carriers.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:40:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Without seeing the whole regulations regarding what has to happen for the airline to get fined I think it's a generally bad idea.

The airline wants to get its customers to their gate on time just as much as they want to get there.  And I'm willing to bet that the top reasons for delayed flights are:
    Weather:  Not much that anyone besides Haliburton can do about that
    Broken planes:  I'd just as soon that the airline fix them first
    ATC delays:  By their nature there isn't much that the airline can do about that

The only part I agree with is paying a traveler for getting bumped.  How many other industries get away with this?  Ever show up football game only to find that your seat was also sold to a nice couple from Tulsa?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:53:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Without seeing the whole regulations regarding what has to happen for the airline to get fined I think it's a generally bad idea.

The airline wants to get its customers to their gate on time just as much as they want to get there.  And I'm willing to bet that the top reasons for delayed flights are:
    ATC delays:  By their nature there isn't much that the airline can do about that

The only part I agree with is paying a traveler for getting bumped.  How many other industries get away with this?  Ever show up football game only to find that your seat was also sold to a nice couple from Tulsa?

At the Fiesta Bowl this year, there were 8 people with seats 7 & 8.

Methinks someone was copying those tickets.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:56:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Exactly. I don't want the airline taking off in dangerous weather, or dangerous maintenance conditions for fear of being fined.  I'd rather live and be a little late.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:58:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Airlines need to stop overbooking, or pay the consequences
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:01:15 AM EDT
[#5]

I really don't care what happens to the US airline industry. It sucks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:02:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree with the overbooking and getting bumped. I can't see the rest,since I would rather not be flying if the plane was broken, or the weather so bad. Better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:12:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Overbooking shouldn't be allowed, especially at holiday time.  If someone is a no-show, they still paid for their seat.  The airline doesn't lose any money.  They just can't sell the same seat twice in advance.  They can take standby passengers at the last minute though.

That would make the most sense to me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:14:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Overbooking shouldn't be allowed, especially at holiday time.  If someone is a no-show, they still paid for their seat.  The airline doesn't lose any money.  They just can't sell the same seat twice in advance.  They can take standby passengers at the last minute though.

That would make the most sense to me.

+1

If someone wants to be on standby for an empty seat that's one thing.  And heck, if the seat's empty, but still paid for, the airline is ahead because a lighter plane is more efficient.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:19:19 AM EDT
[#9]
The only time they ask for volunteers to get bumped and recieve a free round-trip ticket is when I'm on a schedule and cant take the offer.

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top