Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/10/2006 1:03:39 AM EDT
Has anyone tried this gizmo, how effective?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:23:58 AM EDT
good way to get you a ticket...atleast here. If you get caught. Key word IF
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:27:22 AM EDT
there's a spray on type thats supposed to blind the traffic camera, disabling its ability to read and record the license tags, I think its not detectable
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:29:29 AM EDT
Everything is detectable.

And........ why not slow down in the 1st place?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:42:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:02:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

Some of us just don't like having cameras shoved up our wazoos every time we go to pick up a loaf of bread.

I'm about the most damned cautious driver in the world, but ever I have given thought to these things.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:09:14 AM EDT
I believe the spray is a high gloss coating that causes the flash from the camera to reflect. This results in an overexposure and your tag is difficult to read. I dont have firsthand experience with these cameras so take that for what it's worth.

The plastic cover plates that only allow your plate to be visible from directly in front of it seem to work well. They look like the privacy screens some folks have on their computer monitors.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:20:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MurdockTheCrazy:

Some of us just don't like having cameras shoved up our wazoos every time we go to pick up a loaf of bread.

I'm about the most damned cautious driver in the world, but ever I have given thought to these things.

- Whatever; its your money
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:58:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Steeljack:
there's a spray on type thats supposed to blind the traffic camera, disabling its ability to read and record the license tags, I think its not detectable

it is detectable, but you have to be looking for it
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:59:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Citabria7GCBC:

it is detectable, but you have to be looking for it

Exactly and its much harder to see then a polarizing screen.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:03:41 AM EDT
I have wondered about building a sort of slave flash unit - triggered by a flash -- burst of light -- which would set off a set of flash tubes to illiminate the front plate -- overexposing it, and the driver, so they can't identify the driver even if they manage to somehow get the license number.

I think the only real problem is how often it would false-trigger.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:05:38 AM EDT
Simple, easy solution. Just go so fast that the whole picture is blurred.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:11:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PhilipPeake:
I have wondered about building a sort of slave flash unit - triggered by a flash -- burst of light -- which would set off a set of flash tubes to illiminate the front plate -- overexposing it, and the driver, so they can't identify the driver even if they manage to somehow get the license number.

I think the only real problem is how often it would false-trigger.

hahahaha "incoming!!! incoming!!! return fire!!!" that's what it would trigger in me!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:13:36 AM EDT

http://www.phantomplate.com/photoblocker.html

They have a FOXNEWS video of a report about it at that site. In the video the Denver police conducted tests and they show the resulting photos. The spray was determined to work the best of all. Of course that is posted on a site trying to sell the spray so take it how you want
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:17:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By wolfman97:

I wonder if the camera works at 150mph...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:18:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 9:18:57 AM EDT by jason99xj]

Originally Posted By falaholic1:

www.youtube.com/w/TopGear---The-Flash?v=9ySYJTFpRpE
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:26:18 AM EDT
I saw some show about this. They were able to read all the plates once they used photoshop. I'm not sure how many places are using photoshop, but you can bet eventually they all will.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:31:39 AM EDT
Step 1:

Buy pickup

Step 2:

Leave tailgate down

A buddy of mine like his down for whatever reason, and was stopped once and told he culd only have it down if it was nessecary to fit whatever he was hauling... so now he hauls 1 2x4 10 inches longer than the bed wherever he goes....strapped in of course.

He swears he gets better mileage on the highway like that, I don't think it would have that much impact.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:46:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter:
...A buddy of mine like his down for whatever reason, and was stopped once and told he culd only have it down if it was nessecary to fit whatever he was hauling... so now he hauls 1 2x4 10 inches longer than the bed wherever he goes....strapped in of course....

Jeezis, which Soviet state does he live in? Next they'll be telling you that you can't use headlights -- even at night -- because they interfere with LIDAR!!?!

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:48:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By falaholic1:

I know for a fact the ones in Canada (BC) don't focus on bike plates over 150 kph.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:18:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TnSlim:

Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter:
...A buddy of mine like his down for whatever reason, and was stopped once and told he culd only have it down if it was nessecary to fit whatever he was hauling... so now he hauls 1 2x4 10 inches longer than the bed wherever he goes....strapped in of course....

Jeezis, which Soviet state does he live in? Next they'll be telling you that you can't use headlights -- even at night -- because they interfere with LIDAR!!?!

Just asked him, it was in NM. Google turned up this:

www.hometownsource.com/trooper/2005/November/29swinging.html

Here is the law that pertains to swinging or lowered tailgates.

169.43 Swinging gate on truck.
(a) No truck shall be operated on any highway with gate, loading rack, or partition carried in any manner on any part of the exterior of the truck, unless the top and bottom of such gate, loading rack or partition is securely attached to the truck, so as to prevent swinging or becoming loose.
(b) No truck shall be driven or parked on any highway with tailgate or tailboard hanging down or projecting from the vehicle except while such vehicle is being loaded or unloaded, and except when a load on the tailboard renders impossible the closing of the tailboard.

Hell we have Federal laws that regulate how much water your toilet can use per flush and your suprised by this? I would bet at least 50% of states have such laws.... lets see how many people can list here [/hijack]

He said it was explained to him that it was because it would extend past the bumper and be "unsafe"
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:46:18 PM EDT
I hate those fucking photo radars. I have been caught twice. Then a third time, when my brother was in town, I deliberately went past one at about 40 over. With my brother's bare ass hanging out the window. And my two middle fingers up.

When the ticket came in the mail, they had marked out my brother's ass with a sharpie.

When my brother lived here in town, he used to keep a lawn chair and sign in the back of his Jeep. When he'd see the photo radar van, he'd park, set up camp, and hold the sign up for other drivers that ratted out the photo radar. No shit.

Crazy fucker.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:42:36 PM EDT
The sprays slow down reading by the cheap automatic readers. Once a person gets to look at it with even minimal image processing gear you are cooked. I saw the ability of the readers developed for use in some Hughes programs, based on some military image processing systems, and the spray wouldn't slow that down. But they aren't cheap and generally aren't out there.

The screens are good for a fix-it ticket and are a guaranteed invitation for a pull-over in many states. Most states have Vehicle Code sections regarding obscuring plates. And those laws have been on the books since before the cameras.

CA Vehicle Code

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the
vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from
swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible,
and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible.---

(f) No covering may be used on license plates except as follows:
(1) The installation of a cover over a lawfully parked vehicle to
protect it from the weather and the elements does not constitute a
violation of this subdivision. Any peace officer or other regularly
salaried employee of a public agency designated to enforce laws,
including local ordinances, relating to the parking of vehicles may
temporarily remove so much of the cover as is necessary to inspect
any license plate, tab, or indicia of registration on a vehicle.
(2) The installation of a license plate security cover is not a
violation of this subdivision if the device does not obstruct or
impair the recognition of the license plate information, including,
but not limited to, the issuing state, license plate number, and
registration tabs, and the cover is limited to the area directly over
the top of the registration tabs. No portion of a license plate
security cover shall rest over the license plate number.
(g) No casing, shield, frame, border, or other device that
obstructs or impairs the reading or recognition of a license plate by
a remote emission sensing device, as specified in Sections 44081 and
44081.6 of the Health and Safety Code, shall be installed on, or
affixed to, a vehicle.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:10:07 PM EDT
Obviously drive 170mph and you will never get caught, accordingly to the video anyways. Anyone know about a road and car we can test this theory out?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:33:18 PM EDT

Yes there is....its called Krylon Flat Black.
The only downside to using it is that you have to climb those poles to get to the camera lens at each intersection.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:48:47 PM EDT
If you're going to all that trouble, why not just make up a phony plate number?

That's what I'd do, if I weren't the bestest most law abiding driver, ever.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:05:39 PM EDT
The absolute best way to get out of speeding tickets is to have a lawyer as your best friend

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:07:32 PM EDT

Wow... our favorite JBT to the rescue.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:28:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 4GodandCountry:

Wow... our favorite JBT to the rescue.

- Thanks.... glad to be recognized.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:13:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2006 5:39:43 PM EDT by Misery]
I try to tell people, just ignore those damn tickets. They have no proof you received the ticket in the mail, or that you are even remotely aware of getting tagged. They will sometimes try to serve you papers at the address on file for the plate, but it costs them money to do that, so one try is about it.

I use a UPS mailbox place, so the address for me isn't my home.

Yes, I've been pulled over since getting tagged about 3 times, and no it doesn't come up on the MDT when the officer runs your info.

So, put them through the shredder from now on.
Top Top