Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:05:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Tie a stick of dynamite to a tree about chest height.

Wait for an animal (deer, bear, Al Sharpton, etc) to walk in front of the tree.

Blow up the dynamite.

There you go, you've just replicated a suicide/homocide bomber

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:06:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, my suggewstionb has already been said. Go fishing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:07:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I wonder if this thread can be used as evidence in court against ARFCOM if something bad should happen ? ATF agents have most likely traced the original posters IP and they should be knocking on his door any minute now....

I'm all for civilians owning all kinds of stuff,but I draw the line at dynamite.

Uhh...yah...

You own guns again...why?

Why should you get to draw anyone's line?

Ahh..a resident of MA...say no more.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:10:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Civillian dynamite, and military dynamite at not even close to the same thing.  I don't know why military dynamite is even called that as it doe not have the nitroglycerin in it, and is almost totally stable.
Neither is the same as TNT.  TNT is weaker than civillian, and IIRC military dynamite as well.

i do not know the REF (relative effectiveness factor) of civilian dynamite, but ammonium nitrate is .43, M1 military dynamite is .92, TNT is 1.00 and C4 is 1.34.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:10:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Is it TNT or Vibrogel?

BTW, when handling the caps, keep your wires separated and covered in electrical tape, the caps are sensitive to static electricity.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:11:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wonder if this thread can be used as evidence in court against ARFCOM if something bad should happen ? ATF agents have most likely traced the original posters IP and they should be knocking on his door any minute now....

I'm all for civilians owning all kinds of stuff,but I draw the line at dynamite.

Uhh...yah...

You own guns again...why?

Why should you get to draw anyone's line?

Ahh..a resident of MA...say no more.  

It was a bad attempt at a joke dude,I don't give a fuck what people own..LOL
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:28:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Which is it, TNT or dynamite?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:41:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Very effective for removing stubborn tree stumps.  I've sent many 100 feet in the air with it.  Also, if you have constipation, a stick stuck up your bunghole is guaranteed to clear up all blockages.   Some folks prefer it over the fishing pole, but its frowned upon.

SIIHPAPP?

No pre-detonation pics please. Pics of the splatter afterwards is acceptable.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:48:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Hold my beer and watch this!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I might just say that on the video.  Just for the record...i've made contact with a guy that has messed with this stuff before.  He said he would help me on his day off.  I'll bring the beer and dynamite.  He'll bring the knowledge.  God forbid he blows himself up.  I'm taking pics either way.  Just won't be as cool with body parts flying around.  

I'll keep you guys updated.

PS - I don't care if law enforcement comes.  I got the stuff legally, and it's my land.  Nothing they can do.  As long as i'm not killing animals or starting a fire, they can't do anything.  Thanks for the safety suggestions guys.  I'm too young to die.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Be careful with the energetics. Wear gloves--you do not want a headache from the nitrates. Find someone who knows what they're doing.

Post pics...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Years ago I worked at a fertilizer plant.  All the fertilizer came in bulk train cars, which we conveyed to a storage facility.  When the fertilizer got hard, we would drive a hole with a 2 inch pvc pipe into the fertilizer pile, get a stick of dynamite from the shack, get a cap from the other shack, shove cap in end of dynamite, shove dynamite in hole in fertilizer pile, trow up the hood of the work truck, and touch the cap wires to positive and negative.  BOOOOOOM!!!

Usually brought the pile down with one stick.

We had a bulk rail car come in once with the fertilizer had gotten wet and hard, and would not flow out of the bottom of the hopper.   So we drilled a hole into the fertilizer from underneath.  The boss got a stick of dynamite and cut it in half.  He figured that would do the job.  He figured WRONG.  Blew the frickin lids of the top of the car, and blew the bottom hopper clear off.  We got in big shit for that one.  Man...it was fun though
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Turn off that radio!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Besides, how does one legally 'come across' TNT, anyway? [no need to answer that, it's a rhetorical question].

The state that I live in allows you to obtain dynamite with nothing more than a signature and a little money.  I would suspect the guy pockets the money but who knows.  I shouldn't say that though...not very nice of me.  I did my part so that's all that matters.

I assume it requires a cap to detonate?  

Btw, how much $$ ?

Yeah the guy gave me blasting caps for the job.  I asked him what they were...said they were called #8's.  Said it would get the job done.  I have no clue...never messed with this stuff before.  I think i'm going to get some help on the little experiment of mine.  Don't wanna die over something stupid.

As far as price I don't know if I got a good deal or not.  I paid $125 for 5 sticks.  Does anyone know if I did okay?  He said it was a good price.  It's worth it to me so I really don't care at this point.  As long as they work that is.  Not that i'm going to put my head down the hole and check if they don't.

I feel like a little kid.

LISTEN UP!
Do not blow yourself up.  

I assume you have safety fuse and not electric blasting caps.  Time the fuse - cut off a foot of it, and measure with your watch how long it takes to burn that foot.  Give yourself enough time to get away and behind cover.  I would go three minutes.  Here's why.  You want double ignitors on every charge you set.  You do NOT want to hear a pop when one cap goes off and have a stick of dynamite that you must now retrieve from under a stump or rock.  Make sure you know what burning safety fuse looks like - it doesn't spark or smoke much.

Make sure you know how to light the fuse if you didn't get fuse ignitors.  Cut the fuse at an angle.  Generally if lighting with matches, hold the head of a wooden match against the inner core of the fuse (the part that burns is inside and the outside is a weatherproof fabric), and light the match head with another burning match.  This gives a good flare for good ignition.  Have both fuses (one for each cap remember) and your matches set up and ready to go.  Light the fuses separately though, keeping track of the time when the first one was lit and when the second one was lit.  If you got fuse ignitors, light one of your fuses with a match and set the other fuse up with the ignitor that you just pull after the first fuse is lit.

I will not get into crimping caps, other than to say you need a brass cap crimper.  Do not crimp with your teeth.  If you live you will not have an upper or lower jaw or a nose.  I have seen pictures.

The cap goes in the dynamite - dynamite is soft.  You can use a nail to make the hole.  Through the side at a 45 degree angle then hold the cap and fuse in place with electrical tape.  One hole for each cap.  I assume you do not have det cord.

Do not do anything illegal or stupid.  Making things go boom is fun, seeing treestumps, cattails, satchels of used kitty litter sent sky high is exhilirating, and it can be relatively safe if you take the time to learn and practice safe procedures.

Seriously bad advise was posted above about storing dynamite in ammo cans underground.  Don't do this.  If you are going to store any, and can do so legally and safely, a cool dry place where you can rotate it and check for leaching or crystallization is imperative.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How big is this explosion going to be guys?  Should I blow all 5 at once or 1 at a time?  Give me some idea of how much damage 1 stick will do.  I wouldn't want to start a fire or anything I can't control.

ETA:  Going to try and get some again.  Check back tomorrow.

5 was more than enough for a beaverdam.  You won't start a fire if you aren't screwing around with buckets of gasoline.

Try a half stick, try the second half stick, then decide whether you are going to do 4 singles, 2 doubles, a single and a triple, or the whole shebang.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A weather balloon with propane ,argon ,and acetylene in it ...

+1

Static electricity is not your friend.

Edited to say there is some really stupid advice on your thread.  Take note.

Edited again.  If you have a blasting cap left over and an old ammo can or something similar that seals up well, put a blasting cap on a minute of fuse, light fuse, drop fuse and cap in the ammo can and close the lid.  Then get the hell away.  Post pics.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Seriously bad advise was posted above about storing dynamite in ammo cans underground.  Don't do this.  If you are going to store any, and can do so legally and safely, a cool dry place where you can rotate it and check for leaching or crystallization is imperative.

If I may quote myself:

Quoted:
I've never stored [or owned] any High Explosives, so take this or leave it, but I'd buy some ammo cans, wrap the sticks in tin foil, then stick them in the cans with some hydrosorbent silica gel and burry them [deeply, in an unused area] on that land.

But, that might not be legal, or smart, considering that TNT degrades and becomes shock-sensitive over time.

I never claimed to be a High Explosives expert, nor do I play one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I made that clear in my post, I also pointed out that it might not be a good idea due to the fact it degrades over time.

The items highlighted in red in my post are called 'Darwinism Warnings', anyone dumb enough to take said advice without first consulting with a true expert in the field takes their life in their hands, and if they get hurt it's simply evolution in action. Those rules apply to about 90% of what's posted on AR15.com .

That being said, I bow before the superior knowledge of a true explosives expert, and will retract my statement.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't worry guys.  I've got a guy who has experience with this sort of thing.  I'm gonna let him do all the work.  I'll just sit back (way back) and enjoy the show.  I'll hold my torch lighter in one hand and my beer in the other.

Thanks for the safety advice again.  I'll be sure and play this one safe.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Don't worry guys.  I've got a guy who has experience with this sort of thing.  I'm gonna let him do all the work.  I'll just sit back (way back) and enjoy the show.  I'll hold my torch lighter in one hand and my beer in the other.

Good to hear, can't wait to see these pics.

Mind if I ask what state you're from? If this stuff really is legal there, I may just be moving .
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to hear, can't wait to see these pics.

Mind if I ask what state you're from? If this stuff really is legal there, I may just be moving .

IM Sent
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#22]
All I will say is it looks like Darwin is about to strike.

If you don't know what you're doing, why on earth would you buy this shit?

If you want to know how to store it safely, read the BATFE Orange Book.

If you want to have fun with explosives - buy Tannerite, or come to the event where I work.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I will assume that you have nitroglycerin based dynamite.   I hope you are aware of its querks, it is not very forgiving of mishandling like C-4, it is sensitive to HEAT, SHOCK, and FRICTION.  Nitroglycerin based dynamite has a tendancy to exude, means nitroglycerin has leeched out of the desensitizing materal and that my friends is very bad situation.   Wear gloves and avoid inhaling fumes off of the dynamite unless you like headaches from hell.

Unless my land was in bumfuck Egypt, I would highly recommend you don't put shit on or around the explosives.   Explosives tend to chuck things farther than one would think, I have been hundreds of meters past the "safe distance' and heard incoming steel, it's not a comforting feeling. Some guys here at ARFCOM found out about placing shit around tannerite, which is pansy stuff compared to dynamite, and one of their vehicles go hit by some frag.    

All I am trying to get at is don't be stupid and careless when working around explosives.  Be safe, use common sense/intelligence as Mr. Murphy and Darwin will be looking over your shoulder for the first opprotunity to ruin your day.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I will assume that you have nitroglycerin based dynamite.   I hope you are aware of its querks, it is not very forgiving of mishandling like C-4, it is sensitive to HEAT, SHOCK, and FRICTION.  Nitroglycerin based dynamite has a tendancy to exude, means nitroglycerin has leeched out of the desensitizing materal and that my friends is very bad situation.   Wear gloves and avoid inhaling fumes off of the dynamite unless you like headaches from hell.

Unless my land was in bumfuck Egypt, I would highly recommend you don't put shit on or around the explosives.   Explosives tend to chuck things farther than one would think, I have been hundreds of meters past the "safe distance' and heard incoming steel, it's not a comforting feeling. Some guys here at ARFCOM found out about placing shit around tannerite, which is pansy stuff compared to dynamite, and one of their vehicles go hit by some frag.    

All I am trying to get at is don't be stupid and careless when working around explosives.  Be safe, use common sense/intelligence as Mr. Murphy and Darwin will be looking over your shoulder for the first opprotunity to ruin your day.

Roger Wilco
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:27:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Years ago I worked at a fertilizer plant.  All the fertilizer came in bulk train cars, which we conveyed to a storage facility.  When the fertilizer got hard, we would drive a hole with a 2 inch pvc pipe into the fertilizer pile, get a stick of dynamite from the shack, get a cap from the other shack, shove cap in end of dynamite, shove dynamite in hole in fertilizer pile, trow up the hood of the work truck, and touch the cap wires to positive and negative.  BOOOOOOM!!!

I heard about some guys in Texas that did this with thier big pile of ammonium nitrate fertilizer. The town ceased to exist. Windows miles away were broken.

I have used "dynamite" that was TNT, ammonium nitrate and fuel oil. no headaches.

I'll be happy to fly in expenses paid to help. I've done this before without mishap.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:36:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I may quote myself:

I never claimed to be a High Explosives expert, nor do I play one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I made that clear in my post, I also pointed out that it might not be a good idea due to the fact it degrades over time.

The items highlighted in red in my post are called 'Darwinism Warnings', anyone dumb enough to take said advice without first consulting with a true expert in the field takes their life in their hands, and if they get hurt it's simply evolution in action. Those rules apply to about 90% of what's posted on AR15.com .

That being said, I bow before the superior knowledge of a true explosives expert, and will retract my statement.

I am not an explosives expert.  I did not intend to offend you.  I highly doubt this guy would have buried a cache of dynamite.  However, I have seen dynamite that was stored for a while start to leach and crystallize, and I thought it prudent to offer a serious warning to him and to any other doofuses (high school and college age in particular) who have fantasies of having a dynamite cache somewhere in the woods.  Same with the acetylene in a weather balloon and the bucket of gas "ideas."

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:09:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Okay, I'm feeling better now. SAFTEY FIRST!!!!

tagging for pics too.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:24:43 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Besides, how does one legally 'come across' TNT, anyway? [no need to answer that, it's a rhetorical question].

The state that I live in allows you to obtain dynamite with nothing more than a signature and a little money.  I would suspect the guy pockets the money but who knows.  I shouldn't say that though...not very nice of me.  I did my part so that's all that matters.

I assume it requires a cap to detonate?  

Btw, how much $$ ?

Yeah the guy gave me blasting caps for the job.  I asked him what they were...said they were called #8's.  Said it would get the job done.  I have no clue...never messed with this stuff before.  I think i'm going to get some help on the little experiment of mine.  Don't wanna die over something stupid.

As far as price I don't know if I got a good deal or not.  I paid $125 for 5 sticks.  Does anyone know if I did okay?  He said it was a good price.  It's worth it to me so I really don't care at this point.  As long as they work that is.  Not that i'm going to put my head down the hole and check if they don't.

I feel like a little kid.

LISTEN UP!
Do not blow yourself up.  

I assume you have safety fuse and not electric blasting caps.  Time the fuse - cut off a foot of it, and measure with your watch how long it takes to burn that foot.  Give yourself enough time to get away and behind cover.  I would go three minutes.  Here's why.  You want double ignitors on every charge you set.  You do NOT want to hear a pop when one cap goes off and have a stick of dynamite that you must now retrieve from under a stump or rock.  Make sure you know what burning safety fuse looks like - it doesn't spark or smoke much.

Make sure you know how to light the fuse if you didn't get fuse ignitors.  Cut the fuse at an angle.  Generally if lighting with matches, hold the head of a wooden match against the inner core of the fuse (the part that burns is inside and the outside is a weatherproof fabric), and light the match head with another burning match.  This gives a good flare for good ignition.  Have both fuses (one for each cap remember) and your matches set up and ready to go.  Light the fuses separately though, keeping track of the time when the first one was lit and when the second one was lit.  If you got fuse ignitors, light one of your fuses with a match and set the other fuse up with the ignitor that you just pull after the first fuse is lit.

I will not get into crimping caps, other than to say you need a brass cap crimper.  Do not crimp with your teeth.  If you live you will not have an upper or lower jaw or a nose.  I have seen pictures.

The cap goes in the dynamite - dynamite is soft.  You can use a nail to make the hole.  Through the side at a 45 degree angle then hold the cap and fuse in place with electrical tape.  One hole for each cap.  I assume you do not have det cord.

Do not do anything illegal or stupid.  Making things go boom is fun, seeing treestumps, cattails, satchels of used kitty litter sent sky high is exhilirating, and it can be relatively safe if you take the time to learn and practice safe procedures.

+ eleventy billion
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:28:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope you know how to crimp - without loosing a hand or your head.  

A loost hand or head would be a bad thing.

The Lose Nazi™ strikes again.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:17:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Update time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:21:27 AM EDT
[#32]
+1

Pictures requested by the soverign nation of Missouri.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:28:47 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
+1

Pictures requested by the soverign nation of Missouri.

The soverign Nation of Missouri has been recognized and will be addressed as soon as I've got something for you.

Don't worry guys...as soon as I get around to it pictures will follow.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:45:28 AM EDT
[#34]
calling bullshit onthis until this guy shows some damn pics!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:05:37 AM EDT
[#35]
One word, or rather sound....

MOOOOOOOOOOO!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:07:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Might not be easy to do, but I'd save it for the 4th of July...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:11:57 AM EDT
[#37]
i think you're going to want to use some gasolene in some way.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:21:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Bump bump BOOM
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:38:32 AM EDT
[#39]
tag for the outcome......

Hell maybe some of the global imaging satellites will pick it up and it will apear on google earth 2007
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#40]
tag
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#41]
How about a quick pic of the five sticks just to hold us over until you  
get your Darwin award
blow the stuff up.

J/K

Be careful.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Here is a picture for you guys.  They are no longer in my possesion because my help said he would rather hold on to them.  (Safety reasons)  I guess we'll blow them up whenever he has time.  I haven't talked to him in a few days now.  I'll keep you guys updated.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Under a steel rim

Inside an old fridge

Maybe in an old van or ambulance.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#44]
BTT

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Tagola.

ARH

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#46]
I subscribed to this thread for the outcome.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Hopefully you'll still be recognizeable after putting the caps in the sticks.  

Be safe, try to find somebody who knows the stuff before losing life/limb over it.

Pics will be required

DO NOT try this!!!!!!!!!! How old is this so called dynomite? Real dynomite contains nitroclycerin, which is highly unstable and it gets worse with age. Bad MOJO, if it is TNT which is highly stable to pressure use the #8 BC. Dont become a Darwin Award victim
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:12:19 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
dude, don't blow your self up

I will try not too...i bought some extra fuse.  I'll keep WAY back.

Famous last words:

"Hey guys, watch this!"

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top