Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/9/2006 8:32:05 PM EDT
with his car.  The kid, which I know too, is 5 years old.  HE IS FINE! Only a scratched up face.  He fricken' got his head ran over by a car!

Nephew was killing ants with a magnifying glass behind his uncle's car.  

Somebody explain the physics of a 5 year old's head withstanding a car tire running it over.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Somebody explain the physics of a 5 year old's head withstanding a car tire running it over.

An angel on his shoulder is the only thing I can think of.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The bones in a child are not fused yets and will give some.  So as long as it doesnt pop, there should be minimal damage.  Also it depends on the vehicle's weight and speed.  A small sedan's rear wheels would not have that much pressure to 'pop' the kids head.  

Children are quite reslient.  I have seen kids fall 2-3 stories and walk away with a scratch and a bloody nose.

An adult under the same circumstances would be FUBAR.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#3]

If the tire went directly over the skull, the kid should be dead.

Anything else is not "running over" and is simply embellsihment.

The tire could push the kid's head out of the wa before crushing it, or the kid could have moved at the last minute, but the tire going over the head....no way.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

No physics. Devine intervention.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#5]
He didn't run it over, the tire must have pushed his head to the side while  backing up and it scraped the pavement, seems to make the most sense.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, this can happen and the child can survive.  I have seen a kid that was run over by a pickup that was in his yard. The grass was thick and the soil was loose and damp.   His head got driven into the soil and the truck went over it.  The kid did have tread marks on his face and lots of lacerations but thats about it.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:38:50 PM EDT
[#7]
to everyone calling bs

abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=News&id=185436"Toddler survives being run over by van four times"
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#8]
It's weight distributed over the contact patch of the tire.

a 3000 pound car does not mean 3000 psi, say the tiure contact patch is 7" x 3", times 4 tires that's 84 square inches distributing the weight, or ~ 36 psi. Wouldn't be comfortable, but not necessarily lethal.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The bones in a child are not fused yets and will give some.  So as long as it doesnt pop, there should be minimal damage.  Also it depends on the vehicle's weight and speed.  A small sedan's rear wheels would not have that much pressure to 'pop' the kids head.  

Children are quite reslient.  I have seen kids fall 2-3 stories and walk away with a scratch and a bloody nose.

An adult under the same circumstances would be FUBAR.

+1
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Take home message.  Kids are mushy and pliable.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:45:47 PM EDT
[#11]
It also sounds like it was a rear tire, much less force to contend with.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

yea some force up above defn was looking over that kid above

God bless
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Now he really is a young kid with a skull full of mush.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

a 3000 pound car does not mean 3000 psi, say the tiure contact patch is 7" x 3", times 4 tires that's 84 square inches distributing the weight, or ~ 36 psi. Wouldn't be comfortable, but not necessarily lethal.

My mom backed over my foot in an Infinity J30.  Wasn't pleasant but was far less painful than when a horse stood on my foot as a child.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I was run over as a child. The damage occured when the vehicle, which stopped due to my yelling, was then thrown into reverse by the paniced driver.

The spinning rear wheel expelled my leg from under the car and tore the side of my leg open.

surprisingly, a few years later you wouldn't have been able to tell.

Best part: tie between
a) me being unhappy with the prospect of the surgery and trying to convince the surgeon that the cleanup wasn't necessary, (I didn't want to wear a gown...)  saying it was not necessary because (in my opinion at the time, and I thought it was a good argument) those tires looked pretty new,

and

b) the look on the gas station attendant's face when he looked into the back seat of my mom's car and saw my wide open leg. Mom decided she'd get me there faster than waiting for the ambulance, but then she needed to stop for gas...

Blood all over the inside of that big station wagon. And somewhere I've got a small container of the parking lot gravel they pulled out of my leg, since the surgeon decided it would be worth proving to me the cleanup was necessary. Funny guy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:06:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Ever try to crush an egg in your hand?

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Had a local boy who had his legs runover by a John Deere crawler tractor.  The weight pushed him into soft soil and the treads simply moved over his legs without crushing them, He had a major laceration and a huge bruise for a few weeks/month but is fine now. A week off his feet and some time with crutches that was all.  He was lucky it was in the early spring and the soil wasn't rock hard and dry. That probably would have had a much different ending.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

This is easy to explain - your friend is gay, and Miata's don't weigh very much.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Must of been one of those defective chevys
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Your friend sounds like a real fucktard for managing to run over his nephew.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:33:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Damn!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Don't be so quick to judge.  Lots of kids get run over because they get in a spot under the car that is not visible from the drivers seat.  SUVs are the worst about it.  These aren't all done by brainless morons, it can happen pretty easily.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:40:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Take home message.  Kids are mushy and pliable.  

I'd listen to him.  He's a DOCTOR!  

Seen any bad kittys lately, Doc?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't be so quick to judge.  Lots of kids get run over because they get in a spot under the car that is not visible from the drivers seat.  SUVs are the worst about it.  These aren't all done by brainless morons, it can happen pretty easily.

I guess I never realized how hard it is to make a quick visual check if anything is under your vehicle before pulling away. I do all the time out of habit (growing up in a house with 4 cats means any number could be hiding under your vehicle).
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Damn that's amazing.  I'm gonna have to try that with my kid tonight.....
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm gonna have to call bullshit. I think the explanation about the kid's head being hit and pushed to the side is more likely. Think about it people. You run over a person's head against the pavement, pliable skull or not, and it's going to be flattened/crushed like the melon it is! Obviously a car has a suspension that will give somewhat, but you realize that a head is a pretty big bump for the car to go up and over.

The bad news is I can't say "try it sometime yourself and see!"

Besides, he just has some scrapes. He would be bruised up badly (not to mention dead) and have tread marks on his face if his head got ran over. Hell if you pinch/mash your skin with a few pounds of pressure it will cause blood to seep into the epidermal layer and cause it to redden.

Think about it a little more before saying it's possible.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Ever try to crush an egg in your hand?

HA! Years ago I had a bartender bragging that he know all the bar tricks from college, yada yada yada.

I bet a him he couldn't fit an egg in his mouth and seal his lips shut.

He did, and 2when I protested his lips were not sealed, he stuck his face out close to me.

I gave him a light uppercut and announced to the bar that we were going to see if he was a spitter or a swallower!

I didn't get thrown out because he knew he would look like an ass for 86ing me.

He spit it out and simply announced to the bar "I deserved that."
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#28]
almost a date with darwin
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#29]
I call BS as well.

Do you want to know why?

Go to rotten.com and do a little search. There is a quite unpleasant picture of a teenager whose head was also run over, this time by his father's car. It took me a few minutes of looking into the bloody mess to find the components that make up a face, like a jaw bone, a eye, etc.

NO WAY his head was run over by a car. Slightly pliable skulls?! That would just make his head burst much more easily.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
with his car.  The kid, which I know too, is 5 years old.  HE IS FINE! Only a scratched up face.  He fricken' got his head ran over by a car!

Kids are remarkable.

I have watched kids smack their heads into a brick wall and split their heads open and never shed a tear. I watched the same kid play with a rubber band and get smacked with it cry for half an hour.

Adults have it wierd too.

When I was shot, I handled it fine. I was a little pale and trembly, but that is to be expected after being shot. A month or two later I knicked my finger with a knife while cutting something. The second I saw the blood my head started spinning, I puked my guts up and then passed out cold. I awoke laid out on a bench about 15 minutes later wondering what the hell had happened.

That was the only time in my life I have ever reacted like that to seeing my own blood. I guess it was delayed trauma or something.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The tire could push the kid's head out of the wa before crushing it, or the kid could have moved at the last minute, but the tire going over the head....no way.

Not necessarily.

You are thinking as if the entire weight of the vehicle was lowered directly on to the kid's skull. If you examine real life incidents of people being run over, you discover that a lot of people walk away from being run over without serious injury because the full weight of the car wasn't on them and the whole thing happened very quickly.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

When you have kids, you will feel differently.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I guess I never realized how hard it is to make a quick visual check if anything is under your vehicle before pulling away. I do all the time out of habit (growing up in a house with 4 cats means any number could be hiding under your vehicle).

A good habit to be in, but little someones can still end up getting where they shouldn't be when you do everything humanly possible.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I'm gonna have to call bullshit. I think the explanation about the kid's head being hit and pushed to the side is more likely. Think about it people. You run over a person's head against the pavement, pliable skull or not, and it's going to be flattened/crushed like the melon it is! Obviously a car has a suspension that will give somewhat, but you realize that a head is a pretty big bump for the car to go up and over.

Besides, he just has some scrapes. He would be bruised up badly (not to mention dead) and have tread marks on his face if his head got ran over.

Someone say pavement?  Not the original poster...ARDOC says he's seen it as a Doctor that it can happen on soft dirt..Besides, I'm willing to bet some who goes by "AR15BUBBA" might know a few people who park their cars on the lawns
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not necessarily.

You are thinking as if the entire weight of the vehicle was lowered directly on to the kid's skull. If you examine real life incidents of people being run over, you discover that a lot of people walk away from being run over without serious injury because the full weight of the car wasn't on them and the whole thing happened very quickly.

You're talking about an arm or a leg, which are fairly solid with a solid bone core. When people get their chest cavity (which has pliable cartilage linking the bones if I rememeber correctly), or head ran over, the cavity gives and bones break and  your head bursts. You're talking about a thin/hard outer shell with squishy insides as compared to squishy outside wrapped around a hard/dense bone core. The two are very different.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:56:35 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I call BS as well.

Do you want to know why?

Go to rotten.com and do a little search. There is a quite unpleasant picture of a teenager whose head was also run over, this time by his father's car. It took me a few minutes of looking into the bloody mess to find the components that make up a face, like a jaw bone, a eye, etc.

NO WAY his head was run over by a car. Slightly pliable skulls?! That would just make his head burst much more easily.

The contention is not that nobody has ever been killed by being run over.

A child's skull IS more pliable, meaning that it has more give to it than an adult's skull, which means that injuries that might be serious on an adult are often less so on children. Nature's way of helping children survive the bumps and bangs of childhood.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Besides, he just has some scrapes. He would be bruised up badly (not to mention dead) and have tread marks on his face if his head got ran over.

Someone say pavement?  Not the original poster...ARDOC says he's seen it as a Doctor that it can happen on soft dirt

You'd still have serious bruising/lacerations even being ran over in soft dirt. And for the dirt to give that much it'd have to be like the other story, soil for farming, that's not been compressed over time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
You're talking about an arm or a leg, which are fairly solid with a solid bone core. When people get their chest cavity (which has pliable cartilage linking the bones if I rememeber correctly), or head ran over, the cavity gives and bones break and  your head bursts. You're talking about a thin/hard outer shell with squishy insides as compared to squishy outside wrapped around a hard/dense bone core. The two are very different.

What I was trying to convey is that there are circumstances under which it is possible for a person's head to be run over without being killed.

I have personally been run over by a golf cart with 2 people in it, and while far from being pleasant, it didn't cave my chest in despite being on pavement.

The human body is capable of surviving some wierd stuff.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

My imagination or does a 3000 lb car have as much contact with the road as my 215 lb body with size 14 shoes?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
What I was trying to convey is that there are circumstances under which it is possible for a person's head to be run over without being killed.

I have personally been run over by a golf cart with 2 people in it, and while far from being pleasant, it didn't cave my chest in despite being on pavement.

The human body is capable of surviving some wierd stuff.

A golf cart is not nearly as heavy as a car.

I will not dispute that it's crazy what some people can walk away from. I just don't think somebody could walk away from this. Simple scrape/scratches lead me to dispute the claim. The injury would be far worse from being compressed against a car's tire.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My imagination or does a 3000 lb car have as much contact with the road as my 215 lb body with size 14 shoes?

I think I'll go run over a scale sometime. It should be about as high off the ground as a child's head. We'll see how many pounds it registers on top of it. I realize that PSI isn't the same thing, but we could see how much weight would be distributed ontop of a similar area. I just did the math, and you're still talking about 756 pounds being placed and rolling over on top of a child's head. Still think it's possible??? 36 psi isn't that much... pshhhhhhhhhhhhh maybe not by itself.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#42]
BS or not, my initial response is, "Whoa!"
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I suspect the whole story isn't being told here... like maybe the ants had had enough of being tortured
by this kid and they sent a column of highly motivated and determined worker ants who got inside the car and released the parking brake.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#44]
I had a car roll completely over my foot once, slowly, with only a regular shoe on, and it was a heavy car, not one of those little ones like a Corolla.  It didn't do any damage.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#45]
I ran flat over my dog's stomach with my truck and he just jumped up and ran off.  It was the rear wheel, though.  The dumb thing still chases cars, too.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm not saying it's completely impossible for a person to survive. I'm saying this kid's head wasn't ran over because his injury would be more severe than a simple scrape.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Something similar happened in Charleston a few months ago when a news caster Nina Sousamann (sp?) ran over the head of the child of her co-host.  Almost killed him.  He had cerebrial fluid leaking out his nose.  He had to have survey and appears to be recovering.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#48]
No offense ,and Im glad the kid is alright but ,this has "Jerry Springer" written all over it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Two days before Christmas a church group was doing an old fashioned hay ride through the small town where I work.  20-25 people, mostly kids on a trailer with hay bales being pulled by a Suburban through the streets singing Christmas Carrols.

6 year old boy gets sick/dizzy or something, leans over to throw up and falls to the street.  He was run over by the trailer tire on his hip/leg area.  Broken pelvis and scatches and bruises. Trip to the hospital but I think he will be fine.

I was the second Deputy there and went right to him to check his medical condition and calm him. The first Deputy was stopping traffic and most of the other adults were standing around trying to call his mom on a cell phone.  His step dad was there by his side.

Paramedics arrived and cut his socks and pants off.  The little boy who was laying in the street and 9 PM said, "I don't want to be naked!" I thought that was a good sign, but when they gently rolled him to put the back board under him he screaned, "You're hurting my leg"  I found out the next day he had a broken hip.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

We have about as many cats now. I never check under the vehicle, as most cats are smart enough to get out from under them when you turn the engine on, and those that arent (I havent owned one of those yet) wont last long in this world anyways.

The only exception is maybe when we have a cat that has had kittens, because maybe the kittens probably arent that bright yet, althought most we've had seem to have been.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top