Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 7:48:54 PM EDT
So, what truly is a "man".

Does he let things roll off his back? Not caring?

Or does he stand up for himself/others and not take the abuse?

Or... is it more of in the middle, and not so black and white?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Isn't there some saying by one of the founding fathers (TJ?) to the effect of; in trivial matters, go with the flow, but on principle, refuse to yield.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#2]
A man chooses his battles wisely, then nukes everything from orbit, just to be sure.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#3]
sometimes it's cowardly to fight, and sometimes it's cowardly not to fight.

the answer is situation dependent.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Isn't there some saying by one of the founding fathers (TJ?) to the effect of; in trivial matters, go with the flow, but on principle, refuse to yield.

I'll have to remember that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Google tells me that the exact quote is "In matters of style, swim with the currents. In matters of principle, stand like a rock" - and it does appear to be Thomas Jefferson
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Sometimes being manly makes you look and sound like a friggin' moron.

It doesn't make you less manly if you choose your open confrontations wisely.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Real men stand behind their principles. They don't "keep it real". A real man can walk away from words.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Choose your battles. To stand up and fight does not make a man righteous. It would depend on what he stands up and fights for.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A man chooses his battles wisely, then nukes everything from orbit, just to be sure.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Google tells me that the exact quote is "In matters of style, swim with the currents. In matters of principle, stand like a rock" - and it does appear to be Thomas Jefferson

+1
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I say in the middle, because standing up to every little injustice would be stupid/childish/overwhelming/suicidal.

I accidently voted "Stands up, speaks his mind, doesn't take disrespect", because I was thinking "middle" and voted for the middle choice. Then I noticed your middle is at the end.
I know; Reading is fundamental.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top