Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 6:44:07 PM EDT
I had insomnia the other night, so I taught myself to play holdem online.  

Either the people playing are idiots, or I'm having the run of a lifetime, but I'm up $1000 already and I'm still pretty new.   I've got a good head for the probabilities, and was always good at blackjack, but I don't get the big hoopla on this game.   Bet about 10 hands in the hole before the flop, and then just play the odds on the turn and final card and it seems that there are enough agressive idiots and total "uninitiated" folks that you can school them rather frequently.

Weird.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup, you can make some money...the problem is it gets boring as hell...then you start playing hands you should not and start loosing....I prefer playing at real tables...but if you can fight the boredom...you can do it!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
we have these friends that we occationally get together and play all nighters....he brags about his internet poker "abilities"   i clean them out time after time
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:35:32 PM EDT
[#3]
LOL...

I'm watching people play into the most god awful shit.  

Some of them are literally gambling addicts.   They'll pay to see your cards, its seems, no matter what they're holding.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been learning to play online at a free site (pokerstars) for the past couple of weeks.  I've never played before, but I learned the rules on a web page and started playing.  The free tables are full of absolute idiots - I start with a $1000 in free money at a table, and build it up to $30-40k rather quickly, and I make a lot of mistakes since I'm not really sure of the right move some of the time.

I'm pretty sure things would turn out differently if I played for real money.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#5]
what stakes are you playing? what site?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#6]
yea it gets real boring after awhile.
ive seen some people throw in a couple thousand just to see your hands. as long as you got something good and ppl are playing foolishly youre golden
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#7]

I play online (partypoker) and I'm terrible. I slug it out at the 5+1 sitngo tables.  

I don't lose money, but I don't really make much either.  Mostly I do it for the fun I guess.

I am the king of 3 and 4th place finishes.

My partypoker name is group1cards if anyone sees me.

I once saw a guy call another an asshat and I asked if he was arfcom but he didn't reply.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:47:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I love Teas hold-em.  I've played on poker stars before but I stopped.  The game is vastley different online vs live table.  I do well online but I found playing online hurt my live game.  Online everybody calls everything and it's hard to bluff or strategize.  Fun game though.

-Jason M

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:26:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Playing poker correctly is one of the most boring things in the world (to me).  That said, I helped save up for the down payment on my house through it.  

I much prefer $20 weekly games with my friends where we just BS and have fun.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:37:54 AM EDT
[#10]
In real life >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Online

I've won once at my local sports bar in the 4 mos or so of playing 1-3times a week.  Took 2nd a couple times, 3rd a couple and so on.

Course, then there are always the idiots.  Had QQ first starting hand of the night (start with $4000 in chips) and I raised 500 preflop and 2 people stayed.  8JK came out and I bet up and so did this one dude.  Well, another 8 ended up coming out and that eventually gave the fuckin fag trip 8s cuz he had a fuckin 8-10 offsuit.
I still had like 1200 after that hand but jesus people are morons.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#11]
a few weeks ago, i caught a rerun of the WSOP, and figured i'd go try to learn to play online.

night 1:  lost half of the $1000 starting chip allowance.  (free site)

nights 2-4:  turned the remaining 500 into 15k on the 10/20 limit tables.

i look at 75-80% of the flops, which has won me more hands than anything else.  of course, at a $20 big blind, i'll call with virtually anything.  if someone raises the blinds, then i'll drop down to suited, connectors, or paint...most of the time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, I play at Atlantic City, and online at Empire Poker. I play a lot of sit an go Tournys. Usually finish 1 or 2nd. I will start with a $5 then when I get in the money in 3 I go to $10, then when I win 3 go to $20 etc. If I loose, I go back to $5 and start fresh. Making money at it. Takes discipline to just play good starting hands, but when you show the others you are tight, towards the middle you can loosen up and start stealing pots.

Aviator

HUH?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Playing poker correctly is one of the most boring things in the world (to me).  That said, I helped save up for the down payment on my house through it.  

I much prefer $20 weekly games with my friends where we just BS and have fun.

I play everyweek with about 5 - 10 people (varies week to week).

We play Hold 'Em off the bat to get it out of the way (tourny).

then it's dealer choice.  We have a few games we've come up with that make it interesting, like Bermuda Shorts, Skid Mark, and so forth.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I love Teas hold-em.  I've played on poker stars before but I stopped.  The game is vastley different online vs live table.  I do well online but I found playing online hurt my live game.  Online everybody calls everything and it's hard to bluff or strategize.  Fun game though.

-Jason M

I think it has more to do with the experience level of the players.  Noobs get big-time pot commitment and will call damn near anything once they've made a couple of bets.  It makes it hard to bluff or to raise before the flop.  Experienced players will judge you by your betting and will have enough grasp of the odds to get out when they should.  You have to use entirely different tactics for newbs v. experienced players.  For newbs, slow-play monster hands, repeat.  For experience players watch the WSOP or something similar, their strategy is much more complex.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:33:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I play in the college poker championship, but yea online players are terrible.  Everyone thinks they're the shit and stuff.  However, it IS good practice for when you get to the real deal.  I play at www.fulltiltpoker.net
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm playing tonight...every Tuesday night at 6:30 in fact at a private pub.

tournament style so there are no limits.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Low limit poker on PartyPoker has paid for my last 3 firearms, and will probably be the major source of funding for my impending C&R collection.

I multi-table, play tight, and watch TV at the same time.  It's pretty easy when you are only playing about 15% of the hands.  It's also insanely boring, but it's sort of like being paid to watch TV...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I play real games all the time......I have a couple weekly games and I play in larger tournaments every so often.  I refuse to play on the internet b/c I personally think it is a little shady.  

It seems to me that there is a full house, straight, or flush on every hand.  This makes sense.  It is only logical for the computer program to deal more than one person a monster hand so that the pots become bigger which will, in turn, lead to the website making more money since they get a cut of each pot.  

A buddy of mine makes a living playing on the internet, though.  You can check out his website at Indianamatt.com......
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It seems to me that there is a full house, straight, or flush on every hand.  This makes sense.  It is only logical for the computer program to deal more than one person a monster hand so that the pots become bigger which will, in turn, lead to the website making more money since they get a cut of each pot.  

This simply isn't true.  If you don't believe me, pick up a copy of PokerTracker, which acts as a database for your poker games.  It tracks every single hand that you are involved in on Party Poker and its affiliates.  You can use it to look at not only your own distribution of cards but also the distribution of cards on the flop, turn, and river.  There's no shortage of people on the internet who have 10s of thousands of hands in their database( I have 75k hands in this year's database), and I've yet to see a single person who could point to an actual problem with the distribution of hands.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
LOL...

I'm watching people play into the most god awful shit.  

Some of them are literally gambling addicts.   They'll pay to see your cards, its seems, no matter what they're holding.

I knew NOTHING of poker in October.  I didn't even know what a straight was.  We went to Vegas, and my brother gave me a 15 minute tutorial.  I won $200 the first day.

You're right - there are people that call everything.  Supposedly there is some monthly tournament in Ft Collins, by the way.  If I hear about it I'll let you know, if interested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top