Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/9/2006 6:11:39 PM EDT
So whats a good cigar?   Give me a few different ones.  Looking for ones in the "cheap", "every-now-and-then", and a "Pround father of a new gun" price range.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#1]
step into my office man......   there's literally hundreds if not thousands of "good cigars"

it all depends on what you like in strength, flavor, and price

I've had cigars that I got in a bundle for under a buck a piece that I'd rather smoke over a $12 cigar any day
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#2]
macanudo!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends....

How often do you smoke?  

I imagine you're just getting into cigars so I would suggest trying a Fuente 858 for a high quality, mild, and "cost effective" smoke.

Buy three of them at your local shop and if you like them you can get them for about 3.25/stick (shipped) online when you buy a box.  I've seen prices go up to $7/stick at local shops....so you can definitely save money if you buy online and if you know what you like.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Any "cheap" cigar is typically not worth it...need to go middle ground...with that being said....

CAO Gold is very smooth and tasty.
Romeo & Julieta 1875 pretty good
Most H. Upman are good  

In a maduro wrapper the Perdomo Reserve Cabinet Series are very good.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
macanudo!

Oh good lord no!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
macanudo!

blech.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Cohiba

Montecresto (spelling on this one)
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
macanudo!

blech.

+2
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#9]
so what have you tried so far? didja like it ?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#10]

well, i for one like them.  do you dislike the light ones, the dark ones, or both?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
macanudo!

Macanudo 40 ring Churchill. The dark kind.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

well, i for one like them.  do you dislike the light ones, the dark ones, or both?

Sorry man, don't take it personal, I just don't dig em. I like my cigars to have some flavor in em, and I don't buy from Thompson's.

Macs are a great starter cigar. I smoked plenty of Baron de Roths and Hyde Parks before I found what I liked in a stick and I've never looked back.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I would love to know what happened to bill and monics cigar
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Backwoods, sweet and natural.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#16]
ask for these:

la gloria cubana serie R

Partagas Black

Arturo Fuente 858

Onyx

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I like the Java from Drew Estates. It has a real oily wrapper and it has been "infused" with a coffee like flavor.

They're around $4 in the stores, $2 online.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got a Romeo Y Julieta 1875 (I think it's a 5"x50, but I'm not sure) as my first cigar that I've yet to smoke, my tobacconist recommended it to me. That should do you.

Hey, let me just get this straight: you scorch the outside, then light the cigar with a few puffs, preferably with a match, right?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
ask for these:

la gloria cubana serie R

exactamundo!  #5 in maddy please! one of my very favs.

Quoted:
Hey, let me just get this straight: you scorch the outside, then light the cigar with a few puffs, preferably with a match, right?

yep. Just make real sure you let the match tip burn off the sulfur first. Rotate while you puff a little to get an even burn, and let it rest a good 30 seconds after getting a good light before you start smoking it. Remember to smoke it slowly. And for pete's sake, please don't use a zippo,
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
ask for these:

la gloria cubana serie R

Partagas Black

Arturo Fuente 858

Onyx

Dude that is uncool

If he does not smoke very often he will literally be on his ass....Even when I used to smoke a few gars a week... When I would get the La Gloria Serie R maduro...if I smoked it down pretty far I would have to sit for 30 minutes before I could drive home....

I think those have too much octane for someone just getting into it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I like the Java from Drew Estates. It has a real oily wrapper and it has been "infused" with a coffee like flavor.

They're around $4 in the stores, $2 online.

Stick with the Fuente 858, then move on to Torano Silvers and Golds, then the La Gloria Cubana Serie Rs......

At least try the 858s and as your "taste" for cigars develops you will ultimately seek a "stronger" cigar like the Serie R or the Edge by Rocky Patel.

ETA: After you smoke a few 858s treat yourself to a Hemingway Short Story (or Signature)....you can thank me later.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ask for these:

la gloria cubana serie R

Partagas Black

Arturo Fuente 858

Onyx

Dude that is uncool

If he does not smoke very often he will literally be on his ass....Even when I used to smoke a few gars a week... When I would get the La Gloria Serie R maduro...if I smoked it down pretty far I would have to sit for 30 minutes before I could drive home....

I think those have too much octane for someone just getting into it.

oops  good point, wasnt thinking like that.

How about....a Romeo y Juileta? light and smooth
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

How about....a Romeo y Juileta? light and smooth

After a few wood tip Swishers, R y J Torps got me started; and it wasn't a bad start.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Anybody ever have a 50 ring churchill madera from that little shop in Vegas thats directly NW of the corner of the strip and Freemont? They get like @2.50 for em and they are among the best cigar I've ever had!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Arturo Fuentes Hemingway Classic.

You'll never be sorry.

I smoked 150 to 200 cigars a month for 20 years and I never smoked cheap cigars.  I smoked them all.  I liked a light cigar in the morning, maybe a Macanudo or a Royal Jamaica.  By noon I was smoking a Partagas or a Hoyo De Monterrey and I’d end the day with a Punch.

My wife told me to get a less expensive habit like Crack.

I’d start the day light and end it with a little more robust flavor.

Yes I smoked Cubans and I loved them.  I wouldn’t suggest them to start with.  Once you acquire the taste you will enjoy the full flavor of a Cuban.   Until then you will think they are harsh.

I’ve smoked $25 cigars that were shit and I’ve smoked A Fuentes Curly Heads that I enjoyed.

No one can tell you what you like.  Experiment with many brands and enjoy.

Like women and guns you have to feel it out to understand what you like.

At the ripe old age of 44 I found I had 90% blockage in my heart and the doctors told me to quite so I did.  I still sneak one in once in a while when I’m on a weekend out of town shooting with they guys.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

or Swishers
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Onyx Mini Belicosa is a nice smoke.

Partagas 1845s.

I also like Cohiba XV 749s.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#28]
+1 for Onyx.

Passed out a box at a GF's brother's wedding one time.

Became very a popular guy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Try these for starters:

Avo Bellicoso
Butera Maduro 650
Montecristo #2
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#30]
As a new smoker you CANNOT go wrong with a Macanudo. Hampton Court preferbably.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#31]
AVO #6
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Try a different one (but not macanudos) everyday before lunch & write each one down - soon you will see a trend in your tastes.

Most of all - Enjoy.

Whatever you do you should stay away from eherf.com......

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Wouldnt call myself a new smoker but nowhere close to an "expert".  A fewI have tried- Quorum: Churchill and Corona, liked both. Have had a few Punchs.  Got a box of HOYO DE MONTERREY: JOSE GENER, cheap and I got what I paid for.  When I was in Canada I picked up a few Guantanamera, It was good.  Anyway I was looking in a magazine I got and they have Havana Honeys. Anyone ever had these.

Next question- How does this ordering work? Do I have to be home to sign for them?   Will they drop them off in the leasing office if Im not around.  Is it easier to go to a gar shop?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Partagas Black

Black Perla

Oliva 'O' Maduro

Flor de Oliva (any flavor, they're all good)

A. Fuente Hemingway
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#35]
You can't go wrong with Punch anyday. I especially like the roth. in oscuro.  I do like the HdM Rothschilds in maduro, but I keep having burn problems with them. Please stay away from flavored cigars.

For what you're looking for I'd reccommend the following

Sancho Panza Double Maduro- Quixote
Mayorga robustos
Maria Mancini Magic Mountain- DeGaulle
Carlos Torano 1916 Cameroon- any size
CAO Brazilia- Gol
A. Fuente Curly Heads

IM me for more info
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I've had a couple of cohibas and thought they were outstanding , anyone have a reccomendation on a similiar smoke that;s not as pricy and a source or outlet..... much appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
You can't go wrong with Punch anyday. I especially like the roth. in oscuro.  I do like the HdM Rothschilds in maduro, but I keep having burn problems with them. Please stay away from flavored cigars.
For what you're looking for I'd reccommend the following

Sancho Panza Double Maduro- Quixote
Mayorga robustos
Maria Mancini Magic Mountain- DeGaulle
Carlos Torano 1916 Cameroon- any size
CAO Brazilia- Gol
A. Fuente Curly Heads

IM me for more info

Just wonderin, why?

What about Roughnecks...these look interesting
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#38]
flavored cigars, no matter the cost, are just a step above smoking blueberry or coconut phillies
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Arturo Fuentes Hemingway Classic.  

How's the Partagas 1845 Limited Reserve 1995?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I still like to have a Partagas once in a while  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Well thanks for everyones opinions.  This should give me a new start on finding better ones, hopefully.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Here are 2 killer sample packs that will run the gamut from full bodied, to mild-mannered.
Theses are two very good brands.
found @ cheapercigars.com

CAO Canmemorativo Sampler
(the CAO comes with a brochure that exp[lains the flavors of each cigar in the line-up... kind of like a primer before you try them) you could also look at their website for a description of each cigar.
Mx2 "Beli" (7 x 56)
L'Anniversaire Maduro Churchill (6.86 x 48)
Gold Label Corona Gorda (6.5 x 50)
Brazilia Samba (6.25 x 54)
L'Anniversaire Cameroon Belicoso  (6 x 54)
Criollo "Pato" (4.86 x 50)
Italia Ciao (5 x 56)

6 Taste of Torano Sampler
Carlos Torano Reserva Selecta Torpedo (6.25x52)
Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Robusto(5x52)
Carlos Torano Cameroon 1916 Robusto(5.5x50)
Carlos Torano Exodus Silver Robusto Corlo(4.8x52)
Carlos Torano Signature Robusto (5x52)
Carlos Torano Casa Torano Robusto(4.75x52)

The Torano's are a very inexpensive cigar for the level of quality and flavor you get.
The CAO's are kind of the MAcanudo of 5 years ago, in that they are a "namebrand" cigar, and get lots and lots of advertising and hype, and the price is a little high.
However, they are an extremely good cigar.  If you like medium or mild cigars, I would recommend the CAO Criollo (pronounced cree-yo-yo) or the Torano 1916 Cameroon.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#43]
tag for Valentine's Day!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Now for a question... anyone like the Sancho Panza Double Maduro's or Extra Fuerte's?
I have been itching to buy some, but am usually dissapointed with "less-than premium" cigars.
But these seem to get high marks on forums and in magazines.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#45]
+1 romeo y julieta
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
So whats a good cigar?   Give me a few different ones.  Looking for ones in the "cheap", "every-now-and-then", and a "Pround father of a new gun" price range.

If you would like, RUSSUANCATKILLA, IM me your snailer and I will send you out a sampler of cigars that I think you will enjoy.

I have more than I will ever smoke, and I would be happy to send you some.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#47]
The best thing you can do is just try as much different stuff as possible, and never assume that more expensive equals better or that you'll like what other people like.  I've had a pretty broad variety of smokes for someone my age and always go back to Punch which are neither very expensive nor all that popular.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
macanudo!

I agree 100% with this recommendation. I find most cigars too strong and inconsistent from one to the next. Macanudos are the one brand that are mild (yet very flavorful), and very consistent from one to the next. I prefer the larger diameter Macanudos, simply because they draw and burn better.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#49]
My votes:

Punch Gran Cru
anything by Lars Teton (if you can find them)

M590man
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Dont IM me if you can't receive IM's              

Yes, IM your address and I will get a few out (bunch) out.

Disclaimer:

This is a cigar thread, please remove the Lars from the thread since they are not cigars yet mearly oil and perfume fermented tampons that happen to burn in a way that allows them to be smoked.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top