Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 5:44:40 PM EDT
  I'm going to turn 40 this year (August 29th) and I'm finding myself going through some typical mid-life metaphysical angst. I love my wife and am beyond fulfilled in that arena. I love being a dad and my son is everything I wanted and more. I run a growing company and have an enviable income and future. Still, I can't help but feel the angst of my own mortality and the fact that my life is pretty much half over. Now, the affair with my secretary, the Corvette and class 3 toys aren't going to fix this so give me a break on those well intentioned time honored ventures. Seriously, how did you move through this period in your life and what did you do that made things easier to deal with. Like I said, I'm a lucky man (I've dodged the bullet literally and figuratively) and I feel extremely blessed to be here in one piece getting ready to turn 40, but these mid-life feelings are puzzling and perturbing to me. Your advice and well intentioned ridicule will be greatly appreciated.

Harp
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm 26.  My midlife crisis was new pubic hair itching.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I went through that shortly after I quit fishing.

I had a mid-life and got married.

Shoulds stayed on course and sailed right past down the coast thru the Canal and into the Carribean. I'd be running a small sail charter business there if I did.

Pic, out.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#3]
at least you have a lot of accomplishments to be proud of.... the other day, i had a sort of quarter-life crisis..... i just thought "damn, my life is about one-fourth over, and i haven't really accomplished much yet."  it was kind of a sobering thought.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I turned 40 last November.

Nothing changed.

Live life, like every day is your last...and you'll have no mid-life to speak of.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#5]
it came and went and a great time was had by all!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Being that I can resist anything but temptation, I did it in a big way. It was very very self destructive, but it was also really really good.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
it came and went and a great time was had by all!

still got the Diamel pinkie ring?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Soon to be 41.    Have/had Corvettes most of my life, so that's out........

Definitely feeling the end approaching.   Life sucks, but not for what it is, but for what it's not.  

Feels like the career has peaked.   Have most of the material stuff I wanted, yet it doesn't do the trick.   I just want different stuff now.  Seems like most of what I have is wrong.

No kids, no prospects of having any.  

Just waiting to die now........
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm putting mine off for 8 more years then I'll be 50.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Purpose in life of to be happy, I dont deserve that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Go see the King Tut exhibit.

It will put your entire existence into perspective. You will realize that we are all just meaningless nobody's who will be completely forgotten within 3 generations in a vast sea of meaningless nobodies going back more than 5,000 years.

Back then people were kings and built pyramids and you probably can't name more than 3 of them. And those were people who devoted their entire existence to being "remembered."

So go have kinky sex with your wife, eat a juicy steak and stay up late watching a good movie with buttered popcorn. It's a short ride and the main thing is to enjoy your stay.

No matter what you have or accomplish, it won't be enough. You will want more, that is the nature of man. The wise man is the one who enjoys what he has and makes the most of it.

That said, your wants and needs are the "drive" and "purpose" that give meaning to your life. Without them you'd sit in a chair waiting to die.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#12]
... Always have been too busy with life to ever worry about how short it is

... I know, t sounds arrogant, but your life is exactly what you make it. You are only as happy and fulfilled as you want to be.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#13]
No mid-life crisis here.

I just wish I had more hunting spots and a running 4-wheeler to hunt from.

Oh yeah, more cash would be a bonus too. (Gotta drive to the huntin' spots).
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:37:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Soon to be 41.    Have/had Corvettes most of my life, so that's out........

Just waiting to die now........

Where in PA do you live?

I've wanted to drive a Corvette around the block a couple times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top