Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 4:45:54 PM EDT
I have.

Though, I have only noticed it on one stretch of road thus far.  It is along, FWIW, Route 47 in Illinois.  I have noticed it along that route whenever I have driven it...from Champaign all the way north to the western Chicago suburbs.  Weak reception for most of the way, with complete loss of signal frequently.

It doesn't make sense to me, and thus far it is the only part I have seen it.

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Not more than a few seconds...usually when I am on a road with extremely tall trees and little shoulder area.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#2]
If it were wooded, I might understand.  But 47 goes right through some of the most treeless, flatest, and boring farmland countryside you will ever find.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had a few dead spots, seems no rhyme or reason to them.

I cant even listen to regular radio anymore, even though the quality is better, I still cant stomache the comercials and the pos DJ's
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I've noticed that sometime when I'm passing a tractor trailer I loose reception.  Also, powerlines crossing the road can make me lose the reception.  I'm on I95 for about 35 miles each way to work and I know 2 over passes that I'll lose reception under yet when I go under larger overpasses I retain the reception.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#6]
A couple times I had crummy reception on I-65 through Kentucky (mostly the hilly areas). Other than that perfect, except in obvious places like under bridges or thick trees.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I was down in Mexico a couple of weeks ago, strong signal the entire time
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't experienced the problem.  Interesting.  Could be some local interference.  Call or e-mail XM.  They have been pretty responsive.  Also, just like any radio, much depends upon the antenna.  Do you have the external antenna?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Took you long enough.  I put that up a couple days ago for no other reason than to irk you...for some childish reason.

Tee-hee

Quoted:
Why in heaven's name would you want that sig pic? That's like trick or treating in Israel dressed like this: www.tampabayprimer.org/images/suicide.jpg

anyway my Sirius worked fine, except under heavy tree cover, or in tunnels.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Is your antenna on the roof of your vehicle?  If not where is it?
The satellites are in orbit over the equator.  The antenna needs to see the southern sky.
The receivers can switch from satellite to transmitters that are located in major cities.  I've seen them work with poor antenna placement in town but not on the open road.

I've had one for years and the only time it drops (besides tunnels) is when there is a high bank next to the road that blocks the antenna's 'view' to the southern sky.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top