Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/9/2006 3:58:15 PM EDT
I'm curious how many people here get flack from friends about carrying a gun? Take out the friends that carry themselves, we know how they feel about it, and think of the people you are friends with that don't carry. Do you guys get a ton of crap from them about carrying and "What are you carrying that thing for?" type of questions? I am getting so tired of friends giving me a hard time about carrying. Usually it's girlfriends of my friends but even some of my friends give me a hard time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:00:04 PM EDT
No! Most want to know how to get one. My suggestion...Change friends!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:00:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:01:20 PM EDT
take the flack, they will love you when you save their liberal asses!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:02:40 PM EDT
None of my "non-gun" freinds know I am carrying anyway.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:05:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GUNGUY1911:
None of my "non-gun" freinds know I am carrying anyway.

Good point but it seems to come up in conversation with the guys when we are out, at dinner or whatever. We start to talk about guns and carry seems to come up a lot.

For the record, I live in VT and most of us up here are liberal.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:06:59 PM EDT
Not trying to be flip, but, why would they know?

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:12:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2006 4:14:11 PM EDT by POW-MIAneverforget]
i get a lot of crap from my liberal aunts and uncles, who all coincedentally live in MA. when they give me flak, i just smile and laugh, i ask them why they need airbags? they never use them. (they always tell me i'll never need a gun and i should sell them). When they really get on my nerves i get the AR carbine out, strap on the drop leg holster, and then sit on the roof, and tell them i'm waiting for STHTF

(Edit) the reason they know i carry is because i often open carry at my house, and then toss on a sweatshirt before leaving the property.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:18:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By POW-MIAneverforget:
i get a lot of crap from my liberal aunts and uncles, who all coincedentally live in MA. when they give me flak, i just smile and laugh, i ask them why they need airbags? they never use them. (they always tell me i'll never need a gun and i should sell them). When they really get on my nerves i get the AR carbine out, strap on the drop leg holster, and then sit on the roof, and tell them i'm waiting for STHTF

(Edit) the reason they know i carry is because i often open carry at my house, and then toss on a sweatshirt before leaving the property.

Pretty much the same. I usually have a sweatshirt on over my OTW holster. VT it's legal to carry open or concealed so if the sweatshirt creeps up I don't worry about it.

I get the same thing but I like the response about the airbags. I usually just say that a gun on your side is better than a gun in the safe.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:19:50 PM EDT
Usually if people find out, they want to know how, not why. I've only been asked "why" about 3 times. I always say "Because the world is full of people who need shooting, and I may run into one of them." That quiets things down.

Even my wackiest lefty friends have expressed gratitude for the feeling of safety they derive from my carrying a gun. I've had people I didn't know were aware that I carry ask me when walking out of a restaurant at night "Ya got your gun?" When asked what made them think I carry, they usually said "I just assumed. . . ."
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:20:10 PM EDT
I try not to tell anyone...and if it comes up...I will lie...I don't need people knowing...it is better, I think if they do not.

Especially don't tell, or let your kids know. Next thing you know is your in a dangerous situation where you don't have a chance to draw and your kid says, "Quick daddy, use your gun and shoot him." DOH....RIP
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:21:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2006 4:23:35 PM EDT by cyrax777]
its called concealed for a reason. last thing I need is for one of my friends to blurt out "HEY MIKE YOU GOT YOUR GUN ON YOU!!"
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:21:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Yossarian:
I try not to tell anyone...and if it comes up...I will lie...I don't need people knowing...it is better, I think if they do not.

Especially don't tell, or let your kids know. Next thing you know is your in a dangerous situation where you don't have a chance to draw and your kid says, "Quick daddy, use your gun and shoot him." DOH....RIP

We never talk about family matters except in private, and we never discuss family matters with strangers. Daddy's guns are a family matter. Repeat as needed.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:24:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cyrax777:
its called concealed for a reason.

+1
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:32:08 PM EDT
The majority of my friends are a little "gun shy", so I don't tell any of them when I'm carrying. They think I'm nuts just for owning a gun. I showed one of my buddys my AR and he about crapped his pants.....I think he thought I was going to go rob a bank or something!

Seriously.....don't tell your friends you are carrying...and if they ask you.....lie if you have to. You don't need anyone picking a fight and then yelling over to you "Hey Joe........pull out your 9 and pop a cap in his ass".

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:33:25 PM EDT
Frankly, I don't have anyone that gives me crap about it or disapproves of it. On the contrary, they either have them, want them or wish they had one. Cost is the biggest issue with the non-CHL holders I know.

I think there's something just plain goofy with someone that has a problem with CHL's.

HH

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:43:03 PM EDT
Friends? None are liberal, and all are fine with CCW. Family? Maybe 50/50. Relatives in Toledo are wierd about it. Some will not allow me to carry in their homes, so I won't visit much.

"Hey, don't be a stranger!"
"Pull your head out of your ass, and I'll drop by more often. I don't know if it's ever occured to you, but you live in a pretty rough neighborhood."

Relatives in rural counties are fine with it. If they're not relatives or friends, they have no idea.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:51:53 PM EDT
Again, most times it's not an issue and most people just know that I always have it on me. I said CCW but I sometimes carry open and occasionally the sweatshirt creeps up and it becomes visable - I don't worry about it too much cause so many people carry.

For instance, (this is why it was on my mind) my buddy and I were headed out with my wife, daughter and his gf. I carry open at home but was tossing on a sweatshirt cause it was cold out. Buddy's gf gave me shit for it. He wants to buy one and carry which is good in my book because he's a smart, safe citizen and I think we need more people like that carrying anyway but money is his holdup. His gf is not too keen on guns at all and rolls her eyes when we talk about them. So we are heading out and she knows I am carrying and starts to give me shit about it. I'm not too fond of her anyway but she's my buddies gf so not much I can do about it. She knows I am gonna carry no matter how she feels about it and I always shut her up but she continues to give me a hard time. Most people don't know that I carry but when it's open at home - they tend to see it. My wife sometimes doesn't even know I carry so it's not that random people or friends in public give me a hard time, just in situations like that or when it gets brought up to wife's friends. I'm a gun nut so guns get brought up a lot when I'm with friends.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:53:08 PM EDT
I don't think anybody would be surprised if I carried, knowing me. Most don't consider it an issue.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:56:57 PM EDT
In Minnesota I carry openly or Concealed.

I do a both.........I open carry my Primary gun and Conceal my Backup.

I have several freinds that hate the fact I carry but, they got over it!
Top Top