Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2001 6:20:33 PM EDT
Circa 1987, here's my nitrous oxide injected FZR1000 equiped with a Canadian Bristol AeroJet solid fuel rocket engine.  The engine is live, and you can see the squib (firing device) wired up in the front of the rocket.  Rated at 350 pounds of thrust for a 12 second burn.....I never had the balls to light it up.  The nitrous always ran good, and I still enjoy taking the bike out and burning a couple of bottles of N2O.

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp
www.tromix.com

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1531281&a=11594753&p=52639365&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1531281&a=11594753&p=52639375&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

Link Posted: 8/6/2001 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The Tromix .458 SOCOM made me wonder, but now I know; YOU'RE NUTS.

(that's awesome)

Miller
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#2]
FAL_762:  ... now I know; YOU'RE NUTS.
View Quote

LOL!
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have a pic of the back end of the bike, but the license plate read "ICBM" (InterContinental Ballistic Missle) and the plate frame read "Nitrous Oxide Injected Cop Duster"

I was a bit cocky back then.  (Age 21)

Link Posted: 8/6/2001 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

(that's awesome)

Miller
View Quote

That just about sums it up!

So what is the top end on the bottle?
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nah, he still hasn't fired off the rocket.

How much do those things go for per charge, anyway??
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#7]
jessum peets; you know when you think you have seen everything, then bam, oh here comes tony.
all i can say is [size=6]DAMN[/size=6].
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Rated at 350 pounds of thrust for a 12 second burn.....I never had the balls to light it up.    

View Quote

OK this coming from a guy that fire's a .458 out of a rifle primarily designed to fire a round tad bit bigger than a .22 LOL [:D] Dude I say do it and get it on tape. Find a flat straight road somewhere and light fires.

I have a feeling Tony was the kid that modified everything he got his hands on. Any plans for a automobile model? Maybe throw in some grenade launchers instead of headlights. That. I would love to see. Wonder if you need to register both with Dept. of Motor Vehicles and the BATF. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#10]
As a kid (about age 12) I dicked around with an old lawn mower and built a supercharger device and ran the thing on alcohol....ended up throwing a rod.  We lived out in the middle of nowhere so we didn't have any grass to mow anyway.

You guys haven't seen shit yet.....I'm just getting started..............

I have a micro turbo-shaft jet engine sitting here ready to be dropped into a real "JET" ski.  Made by BMW back in the 60's, it powered an experimental James Bond gyrocopter, but I got my hands on it awhile back, and it will be going into a real Tromix style JetSki.

Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't have a pic of the back end of the bike, but the license plate read "ICBM" (InterContinental Ballistic Missle) and the plate frame read "Nitrous Oxide Injected Cop Duster"

I was a bit cocky back then.  (Age 21)

View Quote

Dude, you kill me !!!

You're getting "paid" to play with guns, Nitrous, and rockets ???

You're living my dream !!!

By the way...

The license plate on the back of my '70 Camaro says : "YUL-LOSE"

Street legal and goes 8.40's @ 160 MPH...w/DOT tires & mufflers.
(with the help of a little "Juice")

You guys looking for any help ?[:)]

Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Tony,

Just to let you know that jet engine was not used to power the Gyro-Copter it was used to power the BD-5J mini jet that was used in another Bond film. The one in which the back end of a horse trailer opened up and this tiny jet with folding wings rolled out and proceeded to wipe out the bad guys. I actually saw this jet in action and I really wanted to get one, it only cost about $25,000 at the time. If you do use it in a jet ski remember that it powered that mini jet to a top end of app 350mph. The first Ar-15 poster to enter orbit you will be remembered always.  Oh one last thought a man driving a jet powered SUV just crashed at an Air Show in Mass he was going over 300 mph. But at least he is still alive and will recover.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Someone on AK-47.net posted a photo they took of Jay Leno on his jet turbine powered motorcycle.  They were at the gas station on the way to a car show, when Leno pulled up alongside them to fuel up.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I remember reading a "Strange but true" newspaper article awhile ago about a guy who apparently mounted  a JATO (Jet Assist Take Off) unit to his Chevy Impala.

I sorta remember the article saying there was a mile of skid marks, before the tires popped and the car "took flight".
It was airborne for quite awhile before it smashed into the face of a cliff about 100 feet up...
Nothing was found remaining any larger than teeth...
They calculated the speed to be over 300 MPH.
What a ride that must have been...

Strange but true...

Anyone else see this article ???

He wasn't related to Tony Rumore was he ? [:)]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Strange and false about the JATO rocket - Impala car. Several cybermyth sites have debunked it and I had an email dialogue with Randy Cassingham, This is True publisher (thisistrue.com), who was the first to research it and find no records of it ever occurring. Supposedly it happened in Arizona, which the state has no record of the incident.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#16]
all i got to saw is where can i get one?????
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 12:37:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 2:06:13 AM EDT
[#18]
The 12 second burn is the killer. No off switch on solid fuel rockets. There was a "Darwin Award" piece circulateing the net a few years back about a guy that strapped a JATO rocket to the back of his '69 Chevy. A cop found his car smoldering in the side of a cliff in the desert somewhere. True or not, that story seems to apply to this bike. 12 seconds is a LONG time.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 4:07:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I'll pilot it!
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 4:12:46 AM EDT
[#20]
This all reminds me of the British made Egli Turbo...  A motorcycle rated to top 350mph!
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 5:07:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This all reminds me of the British made Egli Turbo...  A motorcycle rated to top 350mph!
View Quote

I think that's the one Leno has; turbine powered, not rocket.  Said he melted the bumper cover on a Lexus at a stoplight one time.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 7:01:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 7:17:58 AM EDT
[#23]
What's more, the Egli was a factory production bike.

I used to follow the latest info about speed demons, since I had an 82 Yamaha Seca Turbo...

It was nothing to regularily hit 120+ on the interstate. We could rather easily hit top speeds in excess of 160!  I never had the balls to push her all the way ([i]+/- 180[/i]), but in retrospect, wish I had, because at those speeds, you're just as dead anyway!

Oh to be young and dumb again.  If I could turn the clock back 15 years for just 1 week, I'd take all those opportunities ([i]chances[/i]) that I let go by...

Those first generation super bikes had more power than anyone needs, before the insurance regs required they reduce power. This was in the very early days of insurance  "blacklisting"! While new state of the art design engineering has produced superior bikes, the old ones were like the classic muscle cars that are seldom seen burning up the asphalt these days.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#24]
The bike is way too cool.   You da heat!  I'm just a dumb grunt, but passed this on to an engineer friend of mine who came up with the following:
Based upon Force=Mass * Acceleration and given that the bike + the rider = 600 lbs
    350=600*accel or .58g's
the acceleration of gravity is 980 centimeters/sec/sec or 32.14 ft/sec/sec
    32/14*12*12
    =18.56*12*12
    =2672.64 ft traveled in the 12th sec = (2672.64*60*60)/5280=MPH= 1822 mph terminal velocity (ignoring friction and drag)
You'd probably continue to accelerate until your tires blew (somewhere >180 if you could hang on that long) at which time you would become a long smear on the tarmac.  My engineer friend recommends you stick to the nitrous.

Keep up the psycho work!

Semper Fi,
Bill T
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 7:51:11 AM EDT
[#25]
lets hope the straps hold the rocke t down-otherwise you will have a 12 second up the ass burn!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top