Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/9/2006 6:37:28 AM EDT
Family says school resource officer shot their dog

WSMV-TV
COLUMBIA, Tenn. -- A Columbia family said a school resource officer shot their dog as school was ending for the day.

Betty Rimaudo said an officer at Highland Park Elementary School, who has not been identified, shot the family pet in front of her daughter on Friday. The Rimaudo family lives next to the elementary school.

"I saw the officer standing there and I said, 'Did you shoot my dog?' At that he responded, 'Yes, I shot your dog,'" Rimaudo said.

Maury County officials were unavailable for comment.

Rimaudo said she was inside her home when the dog was shot. She said the officer told her the dog got loose and charged at a teacher.

Rimaudo said the dog had never bit anyone.

"I want to know why you would shoot my dog on my property and in such close distance to my children," she said. "I don't think there is an answer for shooting a pet on private property in front of children."

Rimaudo said she is considering contacting a lawyer if the school doesn't explain the actions.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#1]
sung to the tune of Feliz Navidad:

"Police shot my dog.
Police shot my dog.
Police shot my dog, la la la la,
Police shot my dog..

I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas..."
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:41:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Sick of this shit. Every billy-badass quick to drop a dog. Hope this guy gets raped anally by a Rott.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:45:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you guys feel the need to post every dog shooting story that is published?  Damn, talk about beating a dead horse.

Anyways, There is so little to go on in that story it isnt even funny.  However don't let that stop the usual suspects from posting thier typical comments.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:46:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Do you guys feel the need to post every dog shooting story that is published?  Damn, talk about beating a dead horse

Yeah, much better off to ignore what's going on.    Ostrich out.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:47:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you guys feel the need to post every dog shooting story that is published?  Damn, talk about beating a dead horse

- No one is talking aboit ignoring something, but damn.  Mention an animal getting shot and its like a freaking PETA rally in here at times.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:49:43 AM EDT
[#8]
He's coming straight for us!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Okay, but the DOG WAS IN HIS OWN YARD.

Maybe they have an electric fence.

My neighbors have them.  They also have aggressive dogs that run right to the edge of THEIR PROPERTY

I don't draw down and shoot them.

I don't enter THEIR PROPERTY either

One more reason I favor REAL FENCES, not the hidden electrics
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yeah, I'm sure the teacher would've appreciated the officer not shooting - instead, gambling on whether or not the dog was going to bite her.    

Justifiable, IMO

Except the Dog was on PRIVATE property.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:53:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- No one is talking aboit ignoring something, but damn.  Mention an animal getting shot and its like a freaking PETA rally in here at times.

Well, the story is pretty vague, but IF the dog was shot on private property....I can't see a reason for that. If the dog was on the elementary school property and charging a teacher....maybe.

But if it was on private property....it sounds like just another unneccessary shooting by a guy with something to prove.

However it is difficult to make a call either way on this one....waiting for further details....
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Okay, but the DOG WAS IN HIS OWN YARD.

Maybe the beagle was one of those vicious "guerilla" type dogs that can hit-and-run across borders
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:54:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Where's that little popcorn-eating smily when I need it?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:58:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:06:31 AM EDT
[#15]
What was that teacher doing on private property?
If the dog was on private property, was he really much of a threat?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What was that teacher doing on private property?
If the dog was on private property, was he really much of a threat?

- Once again, not enough facts.  It isnt clear if the teacher was on school property or private property (I would guess the latter if the SRO was there). Who is to say that these people's dog was unchained in their unfenced backyard and charged at the teacher when she came near the property.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:11:33 AM EDT
[#17]
There's not enough information to blame anyone as far as I can tell.  

One thing I've always wondered though, if a person was the victim of some kind of wrongful action on the part of police, and then sued, what happens to them after the court case?  Wouldn't they have to move?  I can't imagine you could go back to regular life in the same town after wrecking a cop's career by winning some multi-million dollar lawsuit.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Not enough info and what info is available only comes from a very one sided force.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:15:42 AM EDT
[#19]
SRO's (School Resource Officers) were the positions we gave the RAWEST rookies, or officers that we were about to fire and were on probation. It was the last step before we showed them the door.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:17:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
SRO's (School Resource Officers) were the positions we gave the RAWEST rookies, or officers that we were about to fire and were on probation. It was the last step before we showed them the door.

- Really?  Here you have to be on atleast 3 years before becoming an SRO. A number of squared away people work as SROs around here.  Guess it all depends on your department
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#21]
flame suit on/ sound of shots fired is heard, strange man in uniform is in my front yard with a drawn weapon with my kids in the immediate vicinity...

he better learn to run QUICKLY or identify himself immediately

otherwise he's dead...

sorry, flame away-
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:20:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

the same as it is here.  In fact, the last SRO was a rookie and on probation.  He was fired after he arrested (cuffed and detained) a middle-school student for "talking back".
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
flame suit on/ sound of shots fired is heard, strange man in uniform is in my front yard with a drawn weapon with my kids in the immediate vicinity...

otherwise he's dead...

sorry, flame away-

Once again, someone has to flaunt their IQ level like they are bragging about a golf score.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

otherwise he's dead...

sorry, flame away-

Whatever.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

otherwise he's dead...

sorry, flame away-

Once again, someone has to flaunt their IQ level like they are bragging about a golf score.

speaking of IQs...you obviously disagree with my post...so you insult me personally.

interesting concept, one that I'm sure will live on due to your unfailingly intelligent posts.

Offering a counterpoint would be too difficult for someone with your mental magnitude?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:34:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

otherwise he's dead...

sorry, flame away-

Whatever.

fine, maybe my post was bit over the top/melodramatic, but the information provided does nothing to curb any anger towards an SRO with an itchy trigger finger.

hopefully, more info will turn up...

I'm calm
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:35:30 AM EDT
[#27]

Those are the ones I would least want around my kids.

In our area SRO's (whom I know) are more carefully selected, good guys, and the kids all like them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

You are too ignorant to be a leo, for the sake of the public in general, please resign and take up gardening.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:37:27 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't want to sound like an idiot here, but what is a school resource officer?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:38:16 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

otherwise he's dead...

sorry, flame away-

WTF? Assuming you actually take the time to look at what you're about to shoot, you would clearly see that this was a police officer. Jesus Christ.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- Really?  Here you have to be on atleast 3 years before becoming an SRO. A number of squared away people work as SROs around here.  Guess it all depends on your department

We've got one.. "Squared away" isn't really how I'd describe him  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I don't want to sound like an idiot here, but what is a school resource officer?

Police officer assigned to a school, kind of a security/mentor/friend thing.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Family says school resource officer shot their dog

WSMV-TV
COLUMBIA, Tenn. -- A Columbia family said a school resource officer shot their dog as school was ending for the day.

Betty Rimaudo said an officer at Highland Park Elementary School, who has not been identified, shot the family pet in front of her daughter on Friday. The Rimaudo family lives next to the elementary school.

"I saw the officer standing there and I said, 'Did you shoot my dog?' At that he responded, 'Yes, I shot your dog,'" Rimaudo said.

Maury County officials were unavailable for comment.

Rimaudo said she was inside her home when the dog was shot. She said the officer told her the dog got loose and charged at a teacher.

Rimaudo said the dog had never bit anyone.

Yeah, every Pit Bull owner I have ever seen in person or read about in the paper, who's dog chewed the hell out of some poor kid, said the same thing.  "What? my dog? he's so gentle"
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

otherwise he's dead...

sorry, flame away-

speaking of IQs...you obviously disagree with my post...so you insult me personally.

interesting concept, one that I'm sure will live on due to your unfailingly intelligent posts.

Offering a counterpoint would be too difficult for someone with your mental magnitude?

\

What exactly do you want me to "counterpoint"? What exactly did you contribute to the discussion aside from comic relief?  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are too ignorant to be a leo, for the sake of the public in general, please resign and take up gardening.

He should seek another job because he's 100% correct?  Do you work for the GSA by chance?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Yeah, I'm sure the teacher would've appreciated the officer not shooting - instead, gambling on whether or not the dog was going to bite her.    

Justifiable, IMO

According to the lady's comments, the dog was shot on her property.  How is this justified?  How about he shoots your dog when it growls at someone passing by your property.  Don't worry, it's justified.

I live right across the street from 3 public schools and my dogs bark all day at buses, kids at recess, passing cars, pretty much anything that moves.  I'd be pretty pissed if anyone shot them for being protective of my property/family.  Fortunately the police in my town (as in 99.99% of other towns) aren't that stupid.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:30:13 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the same as it is here.  In fact, the last SRO was a rookie and on probation.  He was fired after he arrested (cuffed and detained) a middle-school student for "talking back".

don't police departments try to give tests to screen out fucksticks like that?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

don't police departments try to give tests to screen out fucksticks like that?

...oh, wait, you're serious?  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

otherwise he's dead...

sorry, flame away-

OWNED!

How was this justified
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kudos to your department.  LEO's need to have above average personal restraint IMO.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#43]
So.  Just to make sure I understand.  The next time a person comes running towards me and I think they might look hostile, I should just blast away because "what am I supposed to do?  Wait to find out if they are going to attack me?".

Anyway, not much in the story to go on.  So I can't get into it on the basis of the story.  However the "I'll just shoot any animal I think looked at me wrong and figure out the details later" crowd here pisses me off as much at the kill-an-officer crowd does.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#44]
There's a lot missing from this story but if someone shoots my dog on my property in the vicinity of my kids there is going to be a problem. Depending on the location of the kids in the yard he could have shot one of them, then shooting the dog would be the least of that guy's problems.

I don't see where it says what breed of dog it was, nor did it say the dog died. I'm not saying I want to get dog bit but some people have an irrational fear of dog bites. It could have been an ankle biter for all we know.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

otherwise he's dead...

sorry, flame away-

OWNED!

How was this justified

DANG!!  268 posts in 9 days!!!!  34 a DAY!!!!  Whose little juvenile pissant troll account are you?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#46]
i think its only fair that unattended children should be shot as well.  
After all the normal kids are at home doing their homework.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#47]
and for the record ive been charged by many a big dog. IN EVERY case they were just happy to see me and just wanted some attention
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I think cops should be able to shoot at just about anything, say, if someone comes out of their apt. Oh wait, that DID happen.

Lotsa good cops out there, some real dickheads too. It's time to weed a few of the dickheads out and put them in the soup line.

If the kids that owned the dog were right there, I would imagine that POSSIBLY the dog was running to them. Hell I drive in the drive and if the dogs are out they will come a runnin at about 30MPH. Well hell, that sure looks like a charging dog to me. I'll make sure I shoot my dog next time. Only way to make sure.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
sung to the tune of Feliz Navidad:

"Police shot my dog...."

You bastage.  Now I have that stuck in my head.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top