Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 5:50:23 AM EDT
www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=15441

Iran military top brass killed in plane crash

11 people killed when military plane crashes near Orumiyeh after pilot loses control.

By Hiedeh Farmani – TEHRAN

Several top brass in Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards were among 11 people killed in a military plane crash in the northwest of the country on Monday, the second such deadly incident in barely a month.

The plane came down near Orumiyeh in a mountainous region of northwestern Iran after the pilot lost control following landing gear problems, and all 11 people aboard were killed, officials said.

"The plane was carrying eight Revolutionary Guards commanders and three members of the crew. Rescue workers are on the scene but some of the bodies have not yet been identified," said Jamshid Mohammadzadeh, deputy governor of West Azerbaijan province.

Among the victims were Ahmad Kazemi, the commander of the Revolutionary Guards ground forces, and seven top commanders, including an intelligence chief.

The crash came barely a month after a decrepit Iranian military transport plane plunged into the foot of a high-rise housing block in Tehran after suffering engine failure.

A total of 108 people were killed in the December 6 incident, which raised concerns across the country about the state of the planes used by the military.

Monday's crash occurred at around 9:30 am (0600 GMT) near the village of Aidinloo and was due to a problem with the landing gear, the province's governor Rahim Ghorbani was quoted as saying by the official IRNA news agency.

"The wheels would not open and the pilot wanted to land the plane on earthy ground, but he lost control, the plane crashed and was smashed to pieces," Ghorbani said.

Revolutionary Guards spokesman Masoud Jazayeri said on state television "the bad weather conditions as well as technical problems were responsible for the crash, which happened near the Orumiyeh airport".

The area around Orumiyeh, near the border with Turkey, is mountainous and weather conditions there are notoriously bad during the winter months.

"Before the crash the pilot had informed the Orumiyeh control tower of the technical problems and that two of the engines had broken down," MP Reza Talai-Nik, head of the parliamentary defence committee, was quoting as saying by the Mehr news agency.

The Revolutionary Guards Corps was set up in the wake of the 1979 revolution to defend the Islamic republic from "internal and external threats". It is now one of Iran's most powerful institutions and counts an estimated 350,000 men.

Iranian media said the Hercules plane involved in December's crash - bought from the United States before the Islamic revolution and starved of spare parts - had been ordered to fly despite warnings from its pilot.

Defence Minister Mostafa Mohammad Najar had faced possible impeachment over the crash but the motion was subsequently taken off the parliamentary agenda.

Since the revolution, clerical-ruled Iran has been subject to tough US sanctions, hindering the purchase of critical spare parts for all US-made planes in its air force, civilian flag carrier Iran Air and domestic airlines.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#1]
And how can they explain that most muslims are poor despite having all that oil? and why do they keep losing wars with the unbelievers?

Well, allah likes the Jews and Christians a lot better than his own sheeple
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:01:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you think they still get their virgins?  Or is dying in a plane crash not considered virgin-worthy?

CO
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:04:15 AM EDT
[#3]
bush did it -woot!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:06:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#5]
My guess is they will blame it on the Jews.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:21:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:23:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Or us.  But then we're controlled by the Jews so yes, it is all the Jews.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:25:54 AM EDT
[#8]
The article states that their air planes lack the necessary parts...I guess them Iranians on board got tired of flapping their arms.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#9]
duper
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Finaly , SOMEBODY gets it !    
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#11]
The invisible flying Jew gremlins did it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards

hr

I have a persian freind who served in their (Iranian) army and he talked about them.  He said they were quite well trained by the USA and were extremely competent.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Earthly Ground?  What was his other option?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I worship a Jew as My Lord and Savior.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top