Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 7:38:04 PM EDT
i just decided to quit, i am tired of smelling like shit. i have decided this will be my new years plan. any tips on how you quit would be appreciated.

i know tommorow is going to suck :P
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
i just decided to quit, i am tired of smelling like shit. i have decided this will be my new years plan. any tips on how you quit would be appreciated.

Yeah, don't smoke.

That's how I did it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#2]
DO NOT START CHEWING. I quit and took up chew instead now im more addicted to dip than the cigs.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, don't smoke.

That's how I did it.

+1

I quit 14 years ago by simply not ever picking another one up.  If it ain't in your hand .... pretty tough to smoke one.

best of luck
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Good luck on it. My date is the 15th of this month. The best advice I can give is everyday you wake up just say , Today I'm not going to smoke . One day at a time
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I successfully used the patch to quit. Been almost 1 1/2 years now and I feel alot better! Good luck and stick with it!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Drink lots of water to flush the nicotine out of your system
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I am ready to quit, i just need to get off my ass and do it, when i think of the cash i spend on them, i think about the nice rifle i could buy in a few months if i saved that cash.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Next three says will be hell.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 on the not picking up chewing, much more addictive than smoking, I tried it.

I recommend nicorette.  It won't make you happy but it will keep you from killing anyone.  At least it does for me.

On second thought, maybe I shouldn't be pffering any advice on this topic.  I've been chewing nicorette for three years now.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I recommend nicorette.  It won't make you happy but it will keep you from killing anyone.  At least it does for me.

On second thought, maybe I shouldn't be pffering any advice on this topic.  I've been chewing nicorette for three years now.

prolly more expensive then smoking LMAO
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#11]
My Dad died from lung cancer.  Ugly, shitty death.  

I sure miss my Dad.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I just stopped buying them. I stopped asking people for one, and I stopped accepting them from people that offered them.

I know it's hard, but man up and put them down. It's really the only way to do it. They might be chemically addicting, but most of it is in your head. If you're getting headaches and stuff you just need to find another way around them other than smoking. The patch helps keep you from biting people's heads off though. I never got on the patch though, I just stopped.

Go camping for a weekend or something, don't bring any with you, you'll feel better come monday.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Warn all of your friends and family that you will be a complete obnoxious pain in the ass psycho hormonal bitch of a human being for a few weeks.

Don't worry, it will be a self fulfilling prophesy, and they may appreciate the heads up before you freak out because someone was breathing wrong.

Best of luck.  I've been there.

Stealth
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

prolly more expensive then smoking LMAO

It is more expensive than smoking or chewing!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I quit cold turkey....it sux for a few days, but when the urge to light up strikes, you have to just tough it out.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I used a form of Zyban but I cant remember the name.
TIPS;  Change your habits for as long as it takes to be able to resist temptation such as if you like to go to a bar and have a beer, DONT, its one of the worst things to do cause you will have a beer and break down for the smokes in a depressingly short time.
THINK about the times when you NORMALY have a smoke without thinking of it such as after a meal, dont sit there, get up and MOVE, do the dishes ANYTHING to break the normal next act of smoking a cigarette. If you smoke in the house for example while surfing the net, if you desire a smoke shut off the computer and do something different to take your mind off the normal co-habit of having a smoke. Its like the way pancackes and syrup go together. If you want to give up syrup stop having the pancakes that will tempt you to have the syrup.
Good luck, I quit a bunch of times for up to a year at a time but when I quit for good 7 years ago it was because I TRUELY WANTED to quit. No just kind of wanted to cause I knew I should or tried to because my wife wanted me to. If you REALLY dont want to quit your wasting your time.  
I cant emphesize enough that for the next few weeks at least when you really want a smoke stop whatever it is your doing and do something that you usually cant or dont smoke. Get up and leave the room, leave the house, stop working on whatever it is your doing, take a shower, take a walk, REMOVE YOURSELF FROM THE ENVIRONMENT THAT ACTS AS A TRIGGER TO SMOKE.  Do something that will make you concentrate or distract you.
Good luck and the first few months are the hardest. For 4 or 5 years I would get a craving out of the blue but usually just for a few moments and it get easier to ignore but there are STILL times I want a smoke. I glad I quit,  I feel so much better and you never realize how bad you stink untill you quit for a few months.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
DO NOT START CHEWING. I quit and took up chew instead now im more addicted to dip than the cigs.

+1 Inspector 1.
I quit smoking 3 yrs. ago, started on nicorette gum for a few months. I stopped off one night at the grocery store and they were out of the gum, what do you think I bought? Been hooked ever since. Quitting chewing tobacco is the hardest thing I have tried 3 times and lost.
Best of luck.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:18:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Congratulations!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Good luck Bro.

operator...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#22]
buy a carton.

chain smoke until you puke. then do it again. and again till the carton is gone.

from then on, the thought of smoking will make you sick to your stomach.

iv'e never done it, but had a few friends suceed with that method.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#23]

When I have children, I will bring them to the hospital I'll be working at and let them visit with the COPD patients gasping for breath while lying in bed on 4 lpm of O2...  

If watching someone fighting emphysema for every lifegiving breath doesn't turn you off from smoking nothing will  Poor bastards...

EPOCH

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I used Welbutrin myself. It worked well i guess but what really did it was my wife telling me she would kill me and the fact my surgeon was going to give me a nicotine test and if it showed nicotine he wouldnt give me the back surgery i needed. i had to not smoke at all for a month and after that i was pretty good about not smoking. i still very very rarely smoke one. i figure one every month isnt going to do much more then what the air i breath is doing. it is really tough to keep it to one a month or so. good luck
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I quit 15 times already today.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I successfully used the patch to quit. Been almost 1 1/2 years now and I feel alot better! Good luck and stick with it!

I agree that the patch took the edge off.

Buy a pack of the 21's, and slap one on tonight.  One good thing (?) about the patch is that if you decide that you HAVE to have a smoke, you have to take the patch off, and wait a few hours, which gives you time to reconsider.

good luck!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Warn all of your friends and family that you will be a complete obnoxious pain in the ass psycho hormonal bitch of a human being for a few weeks.

Don't worry, it will be a self fulfilling prophesy, and they may appreciate the heads up before you freak out because someone was breathing wrong.

Best of luck.  I've been there.

Stealth

Quoted:
Next three says will be hell.

+1

+1

I was an emotional train wreck during the first week or so. Nothing makes you happy, and nothing feels right.  Hopefully the people around you will be understanding and supportive.

Its hard, but worth it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Good Luck with it!  The first week is the worst...I was a crabby moody asshole (not much different than usual depending on who you talk to ).  After that it gets progressively easier.  Just remember, a day at a time.  Buy yourself lots of gum and drink lots of water (I also spiked up my caffene level to fill that void for a little while and then backed off of that.)

I haven't had one since last April.  One of the best things I ever did.   Still have the half a pack of Marlboros sitting in the glove compartment of my car...the messed up thing is that if I throw them away, I'll probably start craving them because I have none...psychalogical I suppose.

But regardless, Good Luck...smoking was one of the dumbest things I started, and quitting was probably one of the smartest things I've done.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#29]
For me, the patch took the edge off and made the first week much more manageable.  The other important thing to think about is understanding what your smoking "cues" are.  For example, I used to light up the minute I got into my car or anytime I left a university building (quit while I was in grad school).  Being actively aware of when your body is going to want a cigarette makes you a bit more prepared to handle the cravings.

Good luck.  The next few days will suck, but you'll thank yourself in a few months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top