Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/8/2006 6:15:49 PM EDT
Yeah I know about 80% of you will say the Bible, but I'm wondering about other books.

Thinks like the "how to have maximum willpower" "how not to procrastinate" etc.

For example, books like the list I found on this dude's website: www.mikemahler.com/reading.html

Business, Being Successful, and Interactions with Others

The following are a list of books that will make a tremendous impact on your business life. In addition, these books will provide some insight on how you and others operate. The more you know about yourself and others the stronger you are.

What Would Machiavelli Do? The Ends Justify The Meanness by Stanley Bing
Several years ago, a friend recommended that I check out a book entitled The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli. While I though that the book was excellent; I felt that the language was archaic and that the book was difficult to comprehend. Stanley Bing addressed this problem effectively with his outstanding book. Stanley's book is both entertaining and educational and packed with information that every businessperson needs to know. While I do not necessarily recommend that you practice some of the teachings in Stanley's book, Stanley does go over many things that you absolutely need to know. Knowing when and how people are trying to manipulate you is critical and this book will reveal a great deal about common methods that many people use.

The Art Of War by Sun Tzu
This book is a classic that every man and woman should have in his or her personal library. In fact, if you have not read this book, then get off the computer and go pick up a copy at your local bookstore. If you are too cheap for that, then at least go to your local library and get a copy now. Sun Tzu was a brilliant warrior and you do not have to be a soldier to benefit from his work. Anyone that is a management, a coach, or any other position in which you are in charge of others needs to read this book. This book will teach you how to rally the troops to get the job done. In addition, this book will teach you how to act in various situations to stack the deck in your favor. If that does not motivate you to read it, then you obviously do not care about being successful in any way.

Think And Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Forget about Tony Robbins and all of the other modern day motivational speakers and self-help gurus. This is the book that started it all and the only one you need to read on how to acquire wealth and achieve your goals. Napoleon engages with the reader effectively and this may very well be the one book that changes your life. I have read it dozens of times and still turn to it when I need extra motivation to carry forward. While the focus of the book is on the acquisition of wealth, you can use the principles that Napoleon reveals to be successful in any endeavor.

A Book Of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi
While this is a book on effective sword fighting, the parallels to self-mastery in any field are amazing. As you learn about how to be an effective swordsman, you will earn how to master whatever your field it. While Sun Tzu's "Art Of War' focuses on how to lead a group, Musashi's "Book Of Five Rings" focuses on how to lead yourself. Both are necessary as being in the world for most of us means that we will be interacting with others and need mastery of self to do so effectively.

Unleashing The Warrior Within by Richard Machowicz
I had the pleasure of doing an interview with Richard when I first got started in the training world. Richard is a serious stud and unlike other people that write books about goal setting and motivation, Richard actually practices what he preaches and reveals clearly how his philosophy kept him alive in dozens of near death situations. Richard is a ten-year veteran of the elite Navy Seals and in addition to writing books and doing seminars, Richard provides security for many of Hollywood's elite. He does not insult your intelligence with this book and demonstrates clearly what it takes to be among the elite.

Management Secrets of the Rogue Warrior by Richard Marcinko
Richard Marcinko is another veteran of the Navy Seals and knows a thing or two about how to motivate others and what it takes to be successful. What Stanley Bing did for Machiavelli's work, Richard has done for Sun Tzu's work. If you have trouble getting all of the content in "The Art Of War" then read Richard's books to see the teachings in a modern context. Applying Richard's teachings might not make you the most popular person, but it will certainly make you a leader and someone that stands for something, rather than being a politician.

Sex Money Kiss By Gene Simmons
I am not a fan of the band KISS. However, they are one of the most successful rock bands and their success goes way beyond making records. Now band has the level of branding that they have. The tremendous success of the band has a great deal to do with Gene Simmons. This is a very interesting book about Gene's philosophy on life and his ideas on how to make a ton of money. Gene is an engaging writer and conveys his points clearly and in an entertaining manner. He is a straight shooter that is not trying to be PC or win the popular vote. You may not agree with everything he believes, but this book will give you a lot to think about.

Pulling Your Own Strings By Dr Wayne Dyer
That is right the bald guy that is on PBS all of the time talking to a room full of smiling ex-hippies. This is one of Dr Dyer's older books and is much more hardcore than his new age stuff. Dr. Dyer reveals all of the different ways in which people try to victimize others and the numerous ways in which people victimize themselves. One of the best lines from the book is "Risk taking is at the heart of not being victimized by institutions and bureaucracies." Everyday you will come across people that play power games with you. These people can come in the form of co-workers, friends, family, bosses, etc. Learn how to be aware of people that are trying to pull your strings and what to do to avoid being a victim.

Every time I've read a book like that on someone's suggestion I've ended up thinking "well, that was xx hours of my life I'll never get back".

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:29:13 PM EDT
if theres a motivational book that will change my life around, I'd read it in a heartbeat.

Of course I'd probably only get to the second page before my neighbor came to my place wanting to hit up the bar. After that the book would never be picked up again.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:44:21 PM EDT
"How to make friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie is a great book.

A must read.

Most self help books are brrrrrrrrrrapppppppffffftttt (insert fart sound).

The best self help you can get is to get off your ass and start doing new stuff. New experiences and challenges build self confidence, not reading some crapola in a book.

Sometimes you feel happy, mostly you feel awful. Tough titty. The pain of life will always be there.

The secret to life is an annoyingly positive attitude and a high pain tolerance.

what else is there? Embracing your inner child? HA HA HA.

A guy who learns to take a punch in the face will have a better life than somebody who reads a lot of BS in a book.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:45:42 PM EDT
Double Your Dating worked pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:20:22 PM EDT

Might I suggest "No Second Place Winner"? Survival is its own reward.
Top Top