Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 6:03:39 PM EDT
Tomorrow the wife, 1 year old and I fly to Ireland for 2 weeks with the in laws. The flight is like 6 hours or so.

What sayeth the hive mind makes a long flight more comfortable? I'm planning on wearing nice loose clothing and bringing a good book.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you name your kids after any famous IRA members??
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Just relax. Bring a mini DVD player if you have one, or laptop. Or cash to buy earphones on plane.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Heavy drinking before you get to the airport. That way you pass out on the plane.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Lots of little thing to keep the child entertained.  My son has flown alot with me starting at 8mo.  Never had enough pacifiers.  You don't want to be the one on the plane with the crying child.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Big negative on that.

ETA
The priest who married us was named Father Michael Collins, does that work for ya?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Make sure you (and family) drink a lot of water before, during and after the flight.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Just don't bring any fire.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big negative on that.

Then there shouldn't be any trouble with the security part of the trip.
Have fun
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Leave your Bowie knives at home.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Dont say BOMB while on the airplane.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Apologize in advance to the person in front of your youngster. They will be playing with the tray table and kicking the seat in front of them.

Books are good. Small toys wind up getting dropped and roll back or get thrown forward which makes for a lot of clean up. Light snacks and don't overfeed him/her. Keep giving him/her water or diluted juice to counteract dehydration. Bring the comfort items like favorite blankie or stuffed animal.

Make sure you take all their fever/cold medicines--you don't want to be figuring out new brand names when your one year old needs meds. 1 year olds love licking the airport carpet and handling every surface on a plane and subsequently putting their hand in their mouths.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Lots of $4 beers and $5 mini bottles of wine
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Plane rides aren't that bad.  Just don't overpack, and bring some good reading along with a walkman with extra batteries.  Unless you are flying a 777 or 47 in biz or 1st class, then you can watch TV.  

I would disagree on the "get wasted" thing, if you are too far gone, they won't let you on.  Also, what if there is a problem on board, you might need all your senses to deal with it.  

Oh, and like Harry said, don't say the B word... Or the G word, or the K word...  annnd you probably shouldn't say allah akbar either.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Go to your local drugstore and get some of this:

NOW!!!

I never fly without it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Eat about 10 Krystal hamburgers before you take off.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If you see anyone on the plane you know named Jack, don't yell "Hi" to him...

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#18]
any over the counter sleep aid 1 to 2 hours before you get on the plane, it will relax you for the ride. and for the child can i suggest cough syrip
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Valium

ETA, seriously.  Call up ur doc, say "hey doc, I hate flying, I have a 6 hour flight tommorrow, HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!" and they will generally give you a script for valium or Xanax
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Trazodone 100mg

1 each

Goodnight
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#21]
My prayers are with you brother. A 6 hr. trip is a walk in the park for an adult, done it many times, but add into the equasion an energetic 1 yr. old and all bets are off to the outcome. Wife, our 14mo. old and myself took a trip to NY last summer (in a van) We thought of everthing except entertaing the kid, needless to say the kid won.
We had a hell of a time once we got there and I hope you do too. A BIG +1 on keeping hydrated on an aircraft.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

last time i flew international booze was free.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Make sure you (and family) drink a lot of water before, during and after the flight.

+1  Bring several bottles of water along, and a few snacks/candy bars or such.  Airliner air is very dry.  

A book that can hold your attention for a few hours is a good way to pass the time also.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#24]
XANAX

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Eat beans.  Lots of beans.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Prepare for boredom and misery
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#27]
The time of the flight has a lot to do with it - a late night flight and the kid will sleep right through.

As an adult, I take a couple of OTC anti-nausea tablets (Bonine or similar) and then down 2 mini-bottles of Chardonay the first chance you get... you will be seeing the inside of your eyelids for the next 4 hours. I wish I could promise you will wake up refreshed and aclimated to the time zone, but that would be a damned lie .

Good luck, and I hope you are not behind me.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#28]
When my daughters were babies/toddlers, I worked for an airline, so we were flying quite a bit.  

With a 1-year old, your happiness will be directly related to the happiness of the 1-year old.  

Some things that worked for me...
* sipper cup - I had the flight attendant fill it w/juice or I brought my own juice...also had water for the little one too.  Remember, some of those spill-free sipper cups are air-tight to keep from spilling, but as you go up in altitude, the air inside the cup expands which forces the drink back up out the straw...on to you.
* crackers/snacks/goldfish/last resort candy - use sparingly
* car seat - if the little one likes the seat and sleeps in it and you got an extra seat for them...you're golden if the kidlet falls sleep in the car seat.
* extra seat - when you check in, see if they have an extra spot so you can take your car seat on board.
* engines - sit near them - it's louder, but harder for other passengers to hear a cranky child and the engines always lulled my kidlets to sleep - this was probably the best trick I did
* climb/descent - during this time, your ears pop, but the kidlet doesn't know how to pop their ears, so keep that little jaw moving (food) to help the baby's ears pop and adjust to the cabin changes.
* I often took several pairs of earplugs with me and once or twice with a cranky kid, I offered earplugs, but nobody accepted and nobody ever complained.
* shifts - if the kidlet won't sleep, take turns with the wife and get some sleep when it's her turn on the watch
* walking - in post-9/11 days this is a bit different, but plan on a couple walks with the kidlet while at altitude...they like the change of scenery
* changing diapers - never really easy...some planes have a fold-down table in the lavatory to use, I usually just put the toilet lid down, sat on that and laid the kidlet in my lap to change their diaper...worked well...just don't drop the kidlet.
* bulkhead seats - they suck for travelling with kids...you won't be having them play on the floor in front of you..it ain't the 70's anymore.  Plus on the bulkhead seats, all your carryons are up above...sucksville
* carryons - It's pretty much for the kidlet.  Put the stuff you'll use during the flight at your feet (under the seat in front of you)...much easier than standing up over and over, particularly when the flight attendants don't want you to be standing at that time or something.
* "pre-boarding" - some airlines offer it if you have a kidlet - take advantage of it
* stroller - many airlines let you take this to the gate, then "gate check" it...be sure to get your baggage stub and you'll be golden.  Most airlines "gate check" the stroller then have it ready at the other gate for you when you deplane.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#29]
To have fun entertaining all those around you, indulge in massive amounts of green chili burritos and a six pack of Budwiper the night before the flight...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#30]
benidryl for the little one.  Just in case.  ENjoy, post pictures!!  What part of Ireland?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#31]
6 hours is a long flight?? I think not.

Anyway, I say sleep. You could always read a book, but sleeping is easier. Bring a pillow, and go lights out.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#32]
For our kids and flying, nothing works better than Dimetapp...  Administer the prescribed dosage approximately 30-45 minutes prior to takeoff and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Prepare for boredom and misery

Dude,
 Don't ever consider a flight to Asia if you think 6 hours is boredom and misery...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Depends on your point of view, when I was college recruiting a 6 hour flight would have been a joy for getting 5 hours of sleep.  In fact we considered a 737 a big plane.  For my Navy Reserve flights to Japan, Korea and the Philippines, a 6 hour flight would have been a piece of cake puddle jump.  Hell I sat on the ground at Sapporo for 4 hours once waiting for Narita to open up AFTER 15 hours from LAX.  Usually 12 hours from LAX to Narita, the winds were really horrendous that time, Narita closed for about 6 hours due to crosswinds and all of east Asia went into flight holds.

Wear loose shoes, your feet will probably smell, err SWELL, and kicking them off will be nice, also walking around with a kid or walking them to the lav keeps them quiet, most won't have too many problems.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Tomorrow the wife, 1 year old and I fly to Ireland for 2 weeks with the in laws. The flight is like 6 hours or so.

What sayeth the hive mind makes a long flight more comfortable? I'm planning on wearing nice loose clothing and bringing a good book.

Thoughts?

Just out of curiosity, what part of Ireland are you flying into and who are you riding on?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Depends on your point of view, when I was college recruiting a 6 hour flight would have been a joy for getting 5 hours of sleep.  In fact we considered a 737 a big plane.  For my Navy Reserve flights to Japan, Korea and the Philippines, a 6 hour flight would have been a piece of cake puddle jump.  Hell I sat on the ground at Sapporo for 4 hours once waiting for Narita to open up AFTER 15 hours from LAX.  Usually 12 hours from LAX to Narita, the winds were really horrendous that time, Narita closed for about 6 hours due to crosswinds and all of east Asia went into flight holds.

Wear loose shoes, your feet will probably smell, err SWELL, and kicking them off will be nice, also walking around with a kid or walking them to the lav keeps them quiet, most won't have too many problems.

My point exactly...  You have not suffered until you have flown 13 hours to Korea as a non-smoker stuck in the middle seat of a row in the smoking section.  Thought I was going to report into my first unit with emphysema...  I would have killed for only a 6-hour flight...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Valium or similar
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#38]
At least it's not from the east coast to Asia or something. 14 hours or so i beleive... My trick? Read a book, and forced myself to sleep a lot. I managed to skip drugs/sleep aids, but those have been useful in the past. These days I can fall asleep just about anywhere, anytime
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

That is how I fly.  That and I hit the airport bars on layovers.  Flying scares me, so I like to be "medicated" for it.  Well actually flying doesn't scare me, it is only the landings that scare me.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Agree with:
DVD
Drinking water.
Walking or stretching.
Bringing sippy cup and snacks.
Earplugs
Changing pad.

Suggest:
Bring a few new toys.  Somethings the little tike hasn't seen before.  Present them only when the tike is getting bored.

Disagree with:
Airborne (it is a vitamins and minierals fad created by a teacher!?)
Drinking alcohol (the more alert you are the easier it will be to take care of the little nipper)

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Make sure you are wearing your riggers belt, also take a black sharpie and put your SSN on your Chest, arms and legs
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:03:28 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is how I fly.  That and I hit the airport bars on layovers.  Flying scares me, so I like to be "medicated" for it.  Well actually flying doesn't scare me, it is only the landings that scare me.

huh?,  unless he's flying deep discount airlines, booze is included on international flights...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:09:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:13:37 AM EDT
[#44]
6 hour flight is actually not that long...my flights to SA last about 14 hours..anything over 10 hours is a long fligth imo.

Best thing for a long flight is lots of water....chewing gum and a good book i.e. ('In the company of soldiers', 'Shooter', 'Thunder Run') and a few magazines (the paper kind) of whatever you're interested in..i.e. cars, guns, boats whatever. 6 hours will zoom by quickly.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:09:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Wear a fake cast, you'll get on the plane with first class.  Also when the child is asleep, have your wife help you to the Handicaped Lavatory, It's really spacious in there, drop the diaper change tray and go for a good quickie.

Just kidding, seriously about an hour before the flight give your child the recomended dosage of children's tylenol.  At 1 yr old he's still going to be sensitive to pressure changes, and the tylenol should help aleviate any pain.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:00:53 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thoughts?

Just out of curiosity, what part of Ireland are you flying into and who are you riding on?

Flying Continental into Belfast Int'l.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:12:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Six hours is not a long flight.  

G
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:21:13 AM EDT
[#48]
try 14 on a 130-even sleeping in the net seats gets old
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:36:45 AM EDT
[#49]
I think the Airlines should make it mandatory to drug any child under five into a deep coma before flights.  I can't believe how self-centered some people are who bring a screamer on a flight. Misery man, misery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top