Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2006 4:17:05 PM EDT
i broke the roll pin on my extractor today at the range.  is there another alternative to this besides buying a new extractor/pin set from PJS?   can i just buy a roll pin from somewhere, and if so, about what size would i need?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Reason #537 not to buy foreign, exotic firearms.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, if it's just a roll pin, measure the hole, measure the length and order new ones from an industrial supplier... Think Steyr makes special Aug-qualified roll pins?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#3]
i replaced a specially custom crafted ruger made 10/22 roll pin (technically, it was a solid pin) with a cut off piece of a tent stake.

it's worked fine for years.

(it's the pin that the bolt hits when it goes back all the way)
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#4]
no, but its not really a roll pin, its solid.  i didnt know if i could just walk into home depot and buy one.   its kinda hard to measure when its in three pieces and i dont have the middle one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i broke the roll pin on my extractor today at the range.  is there another alternative to this besides buying a new extractor/pin set from PJS?   can i just buy a roll pin from somewhere, and if so, about what size would i need?

I just took a picture of the roll pin from my AUG A1. How exactly did you break this? Its a super solid piece of metal, makes the AR15 pin look like a toy. Anyway, yeah you'll need to talk to PJ's about this part. Its cheap though and I assume you have his website address right?  Buy a parts kit while you're at it. I've put tens of thousands of rounds through my AUG's without a single parts breakage but you never know.

steyr_aug.homestead.com/SPECIALS.html

steyr-aug.com/spartskit1.jpg

p.s. If you have an AUG you really shouldnt be sweating the price of a parts kit. I mean AUGs are about $4000.00/piece. You shouldnt be "making" your own parts my friend.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
no, but its not really a roll pin, its solid.  i didnt know if i could just walk into home depot and buy one.   its kinda hard to measure when its in three pieces and i dont have the middle one.

measure the hole it goes through, and the width you would need.

oh, to heck with it, just take the gun in home depot and shout "Listen up!  I need someone to help me!"  then explain what you need.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/burleysmythe1/AUG004-2.jpg

I just took a picture of the roll pin from my AUG A1. How exactly did you break this? Its a super solid piece of metal, makes the AR15 pin look like a toy. Anyway, yeah you'll need to talk to PJ's about this part. Its cheap though and I assume you have his website address right?  Buy a parts kit while you're at it. I've put tens of thousands of rounds through my AUG's without a single parts breakage but you never know.

steyr_aug.homestead.com/SPECIALS.html

steyr-aug.com/spartskit1.jpg

p.s. If you have an AUG you really shouldnt be sweating the price of a parts kit. I mean AUGs are about $4000.00/piece. You shouldnt be "making" your own parts my friend.

yes i believe its the one in the pic, its the pin holding the extractor to the bolt. i was shooting and then i noticed that it stopped extracting.

im not really sweating anything, but im leaving for basic in 7 days and i dont like leaving loose ends.  i was hoping to fix it quickly so i can store it at my dads while im gone, and maybe he would like to shoot it while im away.

i would not be asking if anybody knew what size the pin was if i had the means to measure it right here and now.  i dont have a caliper handy to measure the width of the pin or even the length.   my pin broke in three places and im missing a piece.   i was thinking somebody might be able to tell me right off the bat if it is something i can replace at home depot with a regular pin, or even a size in metric or standard.

as far as how i broke it , i believe its my fault.  i had an expanded case in the chamber, and the bolt was stuck as the extractor was stuck on the case.   i hit the bolt handle downward against the edge of the table to try and free it.  just like i do with my ak's, but i guess it doesnt work with an AUG.  it freed the bolt but broke the extractor pin.  then i took the barrel out and popped the case out with a cleaning rod, but it stopped extracting, so i took it apart and found the broken pin.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You must have a very dull and boring gun collection then
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must have a very dull and boring gun collection then

actually quite a variety, I think the US of A makes some very fine weaponry!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Er...dude, an AR15/M16 roll pin will fit just fine, or it should anyway.

The bolt  isn't much different on that side of the bolt.

Haven't tried it, but the pin that holds the extractor on looks just the same on mine as an AR's.

Give it a try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top