Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/8/2006 4:01:01 PM EDT
One of the guys that wrote a book on primitive archery lives in my neighborhood. He put a posting on craigslist, he wanted to know if anybody wanted to learn how to make a bow. I took him up on it.

We met in his back yard. He bought a stave of red oak from Home Depot and had a bucket of tools to work with. This guy has apparently done this thousands of times and has shown a whole bunch of people how to make bows and bowstrings and they get together once a month and go shooting.

I now have a bow leaning against my bookshelf that this guy pretty much just made for me with a little help from me, and then we shot for a little while. It shoots pretty good, by the way.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:03:03 PM EDT
Have you shot it at a target yet ?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:04:04 PM EDT
Pics???
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:05:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Roadhawk:
Pics???

+1

How much did the stave cost?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:06:35 PM EDT
If you ever really get into it, make your own adjustable bow string rig with a 2x4 and some dowels, bolts, and wing nuts. All you need is a router. I can make a quality bow string in about 5 minutes with some Dacron and nylon serving, and it's tight as heck.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:09:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BallisticTip:
Have you shot it at a target yet ?

Yeah, we shot at a burlap bag full of plastic bags. I wasn't too confident to shoot very far, I'd never shot a bow before, so at about 20 yards I was hitting within a one foot circle. He could hit a beer can at that distance.

Very fun.

The stave was $6. And we made the bowstring out of a spool of cotton thread, it took about five or ten minutes to make.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:16:53 PM EDT
I have a friend from highschool who is a " NA" and he makes long bows out of osage.

I still haven't gotten him to lighten up on the price though.

I've never seen a "osage" tree, so I have no idea if that is worth it

GM
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:42:50 PM EDT

Cool.

tagged for pics.
Top Top