Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2006 3:26:41 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a portable shooting bench, and have eyeballed a nice piece at Sportsman's Warehouse with a puffy, rubbery top and a very solid, powder coated base. It's light, has a nice padded seat, and is quite stable when you sit on it. Sadly, I didn't write down the name - its like "Buck Master" or something "hunty" like that. It's $139, a tiny fraction over my budget, and lacks an elbow extension. They had another piece that was about a hundo, but it was wobbly and had no elbow extension either.

Went to Gander and looked at a Shooter's Ridge unit that seemed OK, and it had two things none of the others had - an elbow extension. I can't understand why they'd make these without some ability to plant your elbow on a firm surface. It also had the nice $80 price I like, but it's not the most stable thing I've seen. There's another $80 unit at Gander called the Big Game Freestand Deluxe Shooting Bench. It looks like a nice piece, but they didn't have one erected for me to test.

What I need is input - what do you guys have, and do you like it?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine was free.  I like it. Its my home-made bench.  Made from an old twin size bed frame, and a door.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag

I was at Spoortsman Warehouse yesterday looking at the same one.  I almost got it, but thought Id look around a bit.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend is a welder I drew up a plan and he cut and welded it. There is a trailer spindle and bearing set to pivot on.
Works well with the Prairie dogs.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine is "home made" with 1 1/2" Top with legs of 3/4" gal pipe. seperate seat.

Legs screw into threaded flange to make it portable.

GM
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been using one made by clamping a piece of plywood with a 2x2 piece screwed on into a black and Decker Workmate.  It's was cheap and easy.  To make, but not quite high enough.

Have an old folding table whose legs are going to be donated to two "new " shooting benchs.

Going to make one from plywood and three legs if the above don't work out.  Probably use the same tops and just add angled removable legs.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Some of the models I saw at Cabelas were absolute shit. I can't remember which it was though
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:51:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a shooting bench from Knothole Designs - an older fella in Mona, WY (him and his wife are probably the entire population ) for $90 + shipping, with two sandbags and a sandbag rest.

It is easily the most solid affair I have ever sat on.

I went to the Pawnee Grasslands, and shot the AR and the PTR in what were initially 30+ mph winds (they died down within about an hour to about 10 mph). The table felt like it was poured concrete.

Folds up like a piece of origami, and seems really well crafted. Has to be seen to be believed!

All in all, it's 48" by about 30" x 3" folded, fits into the backseat of the Baja BMW 325Is you are seeing, (how this car goes offroad into washes without boggin down amazes me) with room to spare is just GREAT.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn Easy, that is SLICK.
Think he'd sell one? Or do you even just have the plans you could post?  I'd like to have one that pivots, due to the fact my high spot is smack dab in the middle of the praire dog town.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a "Buck Bench" and, even though I like it, it could use a larger table on it.  Shooting my scoped M91/30 on it is a little uncomfortable.

heres a pic from cabela's web site:

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:37:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Damn Easy, that is SLICK.
Think he'd sell one? Or do you even just have the plans you could post?  I'd like to have one that pivots, due to the fact my high spot is smack dab in the middle of the prairie dog town.

I used a trailer spindle and bearing set. I had a local machine shop turn a hub to fit bearings. The a friend welded tabs on the hub and pipe on the spindle. The legs are removable and adjustable for uneven terrain. The seat is a boat seat that swivels. I will make the seat slide back more and center the post under the table to steady it more in the wind. We have umbrella brackets that screw into the ground to stop table movement.
They are real easy to make Rod is a much better welder than me
There is some other interest in these from people but Rod can't keep up with demand.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Harris weapon mounted, two-legged model.

Yes, I like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top