BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
It is an absolutely amazing movie, and definitely one of the best three sci-fi movies of all time.  

Yup.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Once again you guys can't keep sci-fi seperated from fantasy...matrix and Star wars are fantasy...might as well put in movies with unicorns and fluffy floating shit and TomCruise.....the force and black men having little white jedi's and  use the force neo and we are going to get cookies from the old black lady wizard with the weird oriental bald kid looking for a glowing parrot do not make a science fiction movie.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Once again you guys can't keep sci-fi seperated from fantasy...matrix and Star wars are fantasy...might as well put in movies with unicorns and fluffy floating shit and TomCruise.....the force and black men having little white jedi's and  use the force neo and we are going to get cookies from the old black lady wizard with the weird oriental bald kid looking for a glowing parrot do not make a science fiction movie.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:24:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Aliens.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#5]
What I liked about Blade Runner was that is was just enough Sci-Fi to be Sci-Fi but still not so far in the future that we could not live to see it. Make sense?

I don't seperate Alien/Aliens/Blade Runner/Matix, etc... as best/better movies. They all kick ass in thier own way and help define the genre. IMHO they are all on equal footing and are MUST owns for Sci-Fi goobers such as myself!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, Blade Runner is one of the top 5 Sci-Fi movies of all-time.

Forbidden Planet (1956)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Alien (1979)
Blade Runner (1982)
The Thing (1982)  (much better than the original, and truer to the story by John W. Campbell)

Others:

Day the Earth Stood Still (1950)
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Star Wars (1977)
Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Terminator (1984)
Aliens (1986)
Terminator 2 (1991)

Here's a list from IMDB of the top-rated sci-fi movies (not all of which are really sci-fi, but still valuable):

www.imdb.com/chart/scifi
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I would say yes
although i really think the matrix is up there too , but some people will argue
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I liked They Live better
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#9]
You must be crazy.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I liked They Live better

I come to chew bubble gum and kick ass and im all out of bubble gum
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:53:25 PM EDT
[#11]
maybe a little crazy
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
maybe a little crazy

but do you have the special sunglasses ?
I figure that movie would be popular with the tinfoil crowd here
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
maybe a little crazy

but do you have the special sunglasses ?
I figure that movie would be popular with the tinfoil crowd here

no sir....got the contact lenses
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:50:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
THE THING

www.bigdeadplace.com/images/thing.jpg

Deckard is very definitely a replicant.

That's why the other bladerunner puts a unicorn in his house.  To let him know that his unicorn dream was implanted.

Hmm.  I didn't take it that way.

Also, deckard's eyes glow every once in a while.

The theatrical cut downplayed this aspect of the story.

I'm going to have to check that out now.  I have both versions here.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:05:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here's a list from IMDB of the top-rated sci-fi movies (not all of which are really sci-fi, but still valuable):

www.imdb.com/chart/scifi

What kind of list is that!???

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Manchurian Candidate
The Incredibles
Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Fail-Safe

How the hell can ANYONE call those "science fiction"!???
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Well, that's true in certain respects, but until lately, no-one has has the budget {or courage} to do a real science fiction movie drawn from the finer novels.

What a movie like "The Chronicles of Narnia:" with it's CGI characters, props and costumes will do is prove that the seminal sci-fi movie can be done.

It will take far-sighted vision and all the CGI methods to date to really do "Ringworld" or "The Mote in God's Eye" properly. Did you know that the movie rights to "Ringworld" have been purchased from Larry Niven? We can only hope. . . . . .
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The funny thing about your argument is that Blade Runner has a unicorn in it  

(but I see your point)
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Manchurian Candidate
The Incredibles
Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Fail-Safe

WTF Fail Safe is excellent and the Incredabiles is cool  but none of the above are sci fi
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Not the best, but really good.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:34:21 AM EDT
[#20]

I saw it last weekend, it was a little bit of a letdown.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:59:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Yup.  Best ever.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#22]
it was the shit in its day
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#23]
The Matrix is the best sci fi movie, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Blade Runner has the best soundtrack of any Sci-Fi movie ever.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is an absolutely amazing movie, and definitely one of the best three sci-fi movies of all time.  

Yup!

I agree, and not meaning this as an insult to those who said it stunk, but it's a litmus test of a movie-watcher AFAIK.

Generally, if you don't like Bladerunner, your tastes in movies tends to involve more girls in bikinis and car chases with fiery explosions. Bladerunner has action, but it's a cerebral movie and that's what makes it great - it does it all and was very much ahead of its time. If you like pure entertainment, it's not a great movie.

If you like a movie that makes you think, makes you figure things out, and doesn't spell out every damn detail like you're a retard learning to make a pop tart, then Bladerunner is the tops.

My .02

I must be the bikini and explosion type because it isn't in my top list. It's been awhile since I've seen it so I might like it better now.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Been awhile since I saw bladerunner, but I'd NEVER put it at #1...2001 is pretty close to #1, tied in my mind with Aliens.

ST's Wrath of Kahn is right up there too.

Ice Pirates however, is solidly at the bottom of the pack. The amazing thing is that I actually watched that train wreck all the way through just because I couldn't believe a movie could POSSIBLY be that bad. I was wrong.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#27]
yes
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#29]
as stated above, some of you guys need to learn what the genre sci-fi entails.

alien/aliens is not sci-fi
star wars is not sci-fi

gattica is, as well as frankenstein.

sci-fi is not just a space movie, or something futuristic.  it is a combination of content and thematic elements.  alien is a monster movie.  the exact same movie could have been made about a gorilla in 1880.  aliens is a combat/action movie.  alien:  resurrection, however, is a sci-fi film, because it deals with technology from a thematic standpoint.

look at the first terminator film.  it includes robots, cool guns, and time travel, but it really isn't about these things.  it is a run/action picture--sarah running from the monster.  but then we get to t2, and things change.  all of a sudden, we start seeing time travel, not as a plot device, but rather as a human conundrum.  we have to deal with the real issues of time travel.  we have to consider the moral implications of the read/write switch on the csm101's cpu.  the last line of the film makes a compelling case...

"if a machine can learn the value of human life, maybe we can, too."

this is what sci-fi is.

if you want to get a better understanding of what sci-fi entails, quit watching movies for a while, and go read some of asimov's short stories.  i think you'll begin to understand the difference.

(and yes, the matrix is most certainly sci-fi.)
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes it is, without a doubt #1.

"You know the score pal..."
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Spaced Invaders.  "Prepare to die, Earth scum!"
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Been awhile since I saw bladerunner, but I'd NEVER put it at #1...2001 is pretty close to #1, tied in my mind with Aliens.

ST's Wrath of Kahn is right up there too.

Ice Pirates however, is solidly at the bottom of the pack. The amazing thing is that I actually watched that train wreck all the way through just because I couldn't believe a movie could POSSIBLY be that bad. I was wrong.

Yeahbut ... Ice Pirates is so bad it's good!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#33]

I've seen things... you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion ... I watched c-beams glittering in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments... will be lost .... in time, like tears ... in rain.

-Roy Batty

BC
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Aliens
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Do androids dream of electric sheep?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I'm listening to it now!

and I like the original 1950's version of The Thing better than the remake.

The remake useda lot of prosthetics, the CGI of the 1980's
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#37]
nope
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#38]
one of the best, but not the best
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:44:18 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
A list for those who know sci-fi.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan  Most realistic space battle ever filmed.

Didn't that take place in a Nebula, and they couldn't see each other?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top