BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:14:40 AM EDT
[#1]
eodtech2000,

So those are kind of like the 40mm grenades for the MK19, right?  The ball of the round has to make X ammount of clockwise/counter-clockwise turns (going down range), the munition arms after said ammount of revolutions, and then explodes on impact.  

Cool, I thought 40mm was the only round to use that concept.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:20:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
eodtech2000,

So those are kind of like the 40mm grenades for the MK19, right?  The ball of the round has to make X ammount of clockwise/counter-clockwise turns (going down range), the munition arms after said ammount of revolutions, and then explodes on impact.  

Cool, I thought 40mm was the only round to use that concept.

Actually there are shitload of fuzes that use centrifugal force to arm.  It usually takes a certain number of revolutions to get everything lined up.

The 40mm fuze is a whole nother animal, it is a much more complex fuzing mechanizm.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:08:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Put 'em in the microwave and see if anything happens???
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:27:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The M174 (.50cal blank) is used for destroying explosive devices, its a disruptor charge meant to blow apart an explosive device without detonating the device's explosives, IIRC.

Basically, it was easier for them to design it using a .50cal case and such, rather than start from scratch.  Do NOT screw around with it, if its still live you could be in a world of hurt if it went off.

Kharn

Huh?  So how is it supposed to work?  You find an IED, you put this in a 50, aim it at the IED, detonate it remotely, and the blast will rip apart the IED w/o setting it off?

No, its only used in a disruptor, you couldnt set up the wire in a real .50. The disruptor is a tube about 12" long (imagine a 12" long segment of .50cal barrel), either attached to a robot or sandbagged in place, insert M174, close breech, hook up detonating wire, point at IED and hit the button when you're a long way off. The escaping gas does the damage, instead of a bullet.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#5]
[Joe Dirt On>]Lets shoot bottle rockets at them![<Joe Dirt Off]

Samuel
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#6]
So, attaching one to an arrow and shooting it way down range wouldn't be a good idea??

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#7]
where does one get one of those .50 cal devices?

I collect ammunition, and that would certainyl be a neat one to add.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't listen to any of these guys Jason. They just want you to go ahead and set these off and kill yourself so they can comfort poor, lonely Allison after her loss.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Hold my beer and watch this!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Tactical nuclear bullets!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like military explosive stuff.

I would try to get rid of it immediately in a manner untraceable to myself.

I would also get rid of the pics and delete this thread.

I don't know who your buddy is, but the .mil usually frowns on folks handing out those kind of party favors.

By the way: If stuff looks explosive, DON'T GO TAKING THAT SH*T APART!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Wait a damn minute.  If I get killed or thrown in jail, who'd going to take pics of Allison??
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So, attaching one to an arrow and shooting it way down range wouldn't be a good idea??

ah hell give that one a try. lemme know how it works out, and maybe I'll buy the others from ya.
<--------------------------------------------------------

l
                                                                  l
                                                                  l
                                                                  l
                                                                 \/
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah,  I've got a pile of Easton XX78's that need something to do!
eta:  For the alphabet agent watching, this is all make believe.  I do not own such products, nor ever had any such products in my possession. In fact, if any such products did exist, they were all lost in a tragic boating accident.  In the Ocean.  On the west coast.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Jason,
There are military bases with EOD units/detachments all over GA.  Give the nearest one a call, tell them you "FOUND" these items and ask them if they would kindly dispose of them for you.  Safest way for all concerned.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Jason,
There are military bases with EOD units/detachments all over GA.  Give the nearest one a call, tell them you "FOUND" these items and ask them if they would kindly dispose of them for you.  Safest way for all concerned.

+1
Do not drive the device to the facility
Some moron did that at my place about a month ago, with a (training, inert) mortar shell during lunchtime.  Everyone wanted to kill him for shutting down the main gate of the facility for an hour while our EOD guys took care of it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#17]
this would be cool.

Tree, heavy avail on ground. place 20mm tip facing up on that.  suspend another anvil 10' or so off the ground above the tip.  get back behind something at 200+ yards.

shot rope.

see if it goes boom.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Wait a damn minute.  If I get killed or thrown in jail, who'd going to take pics of Allison??

I've seen this 'Allison' you speak of. If someone has to do it, I'll step up and take one for the team.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Jason,

I would be honered to fill that role for you. As well as any thing else that needs filling for poor Allison.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jason,

I would be honered to fill that role for you. As well as any thing else that needs filling for poor Allison.

Who's Allison?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey isn't that one of the arrow heads that this guy used?

I heard it's great for shooting down helicopters and keeping the VC off your tail.

WBK
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jason,

Who's Allison?

Pony up for a team membership and find out

btw- Jason....the last set were incredible!  

WBK
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top