Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2006 9:22:23 AM EDT
Not much to comment on here - it's just a huge freaking explosion.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#1]
that's a ready made recruiting video for EOD right there
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Boom.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats big.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure there was some 7.62x39 in there that I could have put to good use...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#5]
OH HELL YES!!!!!  

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm sure there was some 7.62x39 in there that I could have put to good use...

A lot of the ordnance I see in there is in really shitty condition and only God knows how it has been stored for the past several decades.  I wouldn't want to shoot ammo that has in sun or been in 100 degree heat for years, you would be taking your chances to see if the propellant hasn't broken down by shooting it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Holy Christ that was big.

It was like a mini nuke going off.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
OH HELL YES!!!!!  

Glad you found the video and liked it - I was thinking of you when I posted it, I just couldn't remember your name. We really need a "find a member" tool that lets you search for aliases
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I really like that
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#11]
We did a half million pounds once in the mid 80's at UTTR.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Big bada-BOOM!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Question for the EOD guys:  When you dispose of big pile of ordnance like that (~100,000 rounds), is there any chance that some rounds get blown away from the controlled detonation and don't detonate themselves?  I was wondering what, if any, precautions you have to take to ensure that the disposal effort itself doesn't scatter still live rounds.  Maybe this is a stupid question given the size of that explosion, but you know what they say about stupid questions.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#15]
haha that's weak,  I have seen demo shot upwards of 300 TONS before

humidity and overcast though were beautiful, thats what allowed the blast wave to be captured on camera,  prob surface laid too
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#16]
PWNT

ETA: Forget the math, I forgot to carry the 2.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Huge freaking explosions make me smile.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#18]
A kiloton is equilvalent to 2,000,000lbs of TNT.

This was 0.15kiloton, assuming 100% TNT, about 1% the size of Hiroshima.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
A kiloton is equilvalent to 2,000,000lbs of TNT.

This was 0.15kiloton, assuming 100% TNT, about 1% the size of Hiroshima.

Kharn

Yeah, I saw that right after I posted it, and deleted it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Damn.......
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
OH HELL YES!!!!!  

I'd bet that sight has a special peasure for an EOD Tech, huh?

Afghanistan, I presume
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#22]
     Does anything in the stash survive the blast ?. You know like spam cans of ammo and containerized grenades ? Will EOD still have to blow up any remnants ?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#23]
they have "kickouts" all the time eh,  sometimes junk just goes everywhere
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#25]
tagged
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The bigger the explosion, the more assured the detonation is of every piece of ordnance within it.

I doubt that a single shell failed to detonate in that bad boy.    But in a much smaller explosion,
unexploded rounds often do scatter.

I'd like to see the crater that made.

And I'd like to recycle the leftover metal for cash.

CJ

I dunno dude, Im not an EOD tech or anything but I have seen some amzingly HUGE explosions (300+ tons)  that still dumped UXO all over the place
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
that's a ready made recruiting video for EOD right there

+1

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Just reaffirms my faith in peak ammunition!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#30]
too bad they butchered man in the box for the video :p
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Remember folks, there is no problem too big nor too small that can't be solved by an application of high explosives!

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#32]
tag for work broadband.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:31:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Inspirational
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#34]
how LOUD would that be?  what kind of hearing protection is issued to EOD guys?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#35]
holy fuck

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

CJ

Sure, you pick it up!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Holy Christ that was big.

It was like a mini nuke going off.

Reminds me of the opening shot of The Atomic Bomb Movie, where they set off 100 tons of TNT to set a standard in bomb yield.. Of course this one is bigger..

So nice..  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I doubt that a single shell failed to detonate in that bad boy.    But in a much smaller explosion,
unexploded rounds often do scatter.

I dunno dude, Im not an EOD tech or anything but I have seen some amzingly HUGE explosions (300+ tons)  that still dumped UXO all over the place

If you watch the video, there is a picture of all the ordnance sitting out at the detonation site - there seems to be a bunch of yellow-tipped green things run in series atop the ordnance. Might those have been what blew it up? It would make more sense, it looked like they had about 1 of those things per 2 crates of ordnance.

(look at the video, about 65% the way through - after the big aerial shot)
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

If there's kickout it's because they didn't use the 10:1 rule? In theater there wasn't much issue with being frugal when it came to throwing a little extra on the shot.

One was to avoid some major kickout is not to do a sruface detonation, but to dig a nice big hole to put everything into. The ordnance isn't usualy stacked too high, unless it's all high explosive rounds. All of the C4 is put on top of everything, so it all blows down, not up... and when in a hole not out. So if something doesn't go, it usually ends up pounded into the ground anyway.

Here's another explosion... I posted this a while back, but I likes it.
Save Target As... don't play it directly, save it to your hard drive and run it please.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If there's kickout it's because they didn't use the 10:1 rule? In theater there wasn't much issue with being frugal when it came to throwing a little extra on the shot.

One was to avoid some major kickout is not to do a sruface detonation, but to dig a nice big hole to put everything into. The ordnance isn't usualy stacked too high, unless it's all high explosive rounds. All of the C4 is put on top of everything, so it all blows down, not up... and when in a hole not out. So if something doesn't go, it usually ends up pounded into the ground anyway.

Here's another explosion... I posted this a while back, but I likes it.
Save Target As... don't play it directly, save it to your hard drive and run it please.

Yes, the + P rule (P = Plenty).

If everyone watches the first sequences of the explosion, you will see a couple of kickouts.   Good EOD techs will have minimal kickouts but there are some other EOD techs as Pathfinder74 also knows are kickout extradonaires and frag magnets.  

Hey, Pathfinder, remember Whitbeck (squanky), I was at one of his "shots" which was a stack of shit 5 feet high. IIRC it was me, Rick Porter, Heubner, and Buckwalter.  We went diving for cover, after we saw a couple 155 HE kick out in our direction at high speed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Hey, Pathfinder, remember Whitbeck (squanky), I was at one of his "shots" which was a stack of shit 5 feet high. IIRC it was me, Rick Porter, Heubner, and Buckwalter.  We went diving for cover, after we saw a couple 155 HE kick out in our direction at high speed.

Whitbeck... didn't leave a big impression on me. Seems like a nice enough guy, but beyond that he didn't come off as a super-tech.

I've been on more than enough shots where there were large chunks of shit flying out. Come to think of it I was on an incident and we sent a piece of frag through the windshield of a bulldozer. I was just an E-4 at the time but I should have known enough to tell the TL that setting up the shot about 50 ft away might end badly.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#43]
The other day EOD set off 10 in a row here (about 3 sec intervals). I must have missed the giant voice notification and when the explosions went off the 3rd one started to worry me and after the 5th I was just about ready to shit (thought were were under rocket attack).

They are quite often pretty big explosions.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah, my unit got in a little trouble when they blew out a window in the control tower in Bagram.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#45]
That blowed up real good!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whitbeck... didn't leave a big impression on me. Seems like a nice enough guy, but beyond that he didn't come off as a super-tech.

I've been on more than enough shots where there were large chunks of shit flying out. Come to think of it I was on an incident and we sent a piece of frag through the windshield of a bulldozer. I was just an E-4 at the time but I should have known enough to tell the TL that setting up the shot about 50 ft away might end badly.

Whitbeck definitely wasn't a super-tech but I had some hilarious incidents with him.   We got called out on a night time incident, blew some 40mm grenades up and headed back.  Since we never went through the hassle of getting NOD's out of the vault, we always used our headlights.   I had my high beams on and we went by a whole convoy of troops from Ft Lewis who were using NOD's, about a Brigade in size.  

The Brigade CSM and Commander tried to chase us down, I floored the pedal and we sped off, cut the lights and took a route we knew well and we stopped.  The CSM and Brigade Commander were cussing all over the radio to range control, they didn't know who it was but they wanted our asses.   The next day, in our unit's morning brief, 1SG Downs could barely stop laughing, he said they wanted our asses but he told that Brigade CSM and Commander they could kiss his ass as EOD doesn't play by Training rules for light discipline.  We did however have to buy Top Downs a beer.

I remember another incident, we had finished and were going back to the tower to inform some Lt Col that everything was good to go.  Well, the snow had melted and had left this huge mudhole, Whitbeck bet me that I couldn't make it through it, so I floored the humvee and we hit the mudhole at about 40 mph, we disappeared in a wall of mud and water.  We had mud coming into the humvee above the gas pedal.  We immerged on the otherside completely blind and dripping in mud.   Stopped for a minute to get enough mud off the windows to see and we could see a bunch of troops with smiles on their faces and "that rocked".   We got to the tower and the Lt Col patted us on the backs, he said for a second there, it looked like we had been swallowed by a wall of mud and water.  My whole unit came outside into our motorpool to laugh at our mud encrusted humvee, Top Downs was laughing his ass off and said "Great job but now you have to clean it."
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#47]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

CJ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure, you pick it up!

christ, you could probably find some chunks from that blast in your yard.  I think I heard a piece hit my house.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Are they gonna play the friggin song or just keep looping the intro?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#49]
There could have been a few kickouts in a shot of that size.  That's why good demo procedures are a must.  (Remember, det cord is your friend and C4 is cheap.)  The biggest thing I worried about was a projectile base plate coming back at me.  

I never made a shot that big.  The biggest one I ever made was about a tenth of that, around 35,000 pounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top