Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/8/2006 7:47:58 AM EDT
I would like some input on
LCD or PLASMA TV'S
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:50:29 AM EDT
If you don't have a Plasma TV in your house then it's time to step up your game.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:55:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rock7:
If you don't have a Plasma TV in your house then it's time to step up your game.

perhaps I'm too white to understand what you posted, please translate to english
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:57:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:58:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stump:

Originally Posted By Grey_Ghost:
I would like some input on
LCD or PLASMA TV'S

I've learned a trmendous amount from this link while studying for my upcomming purchase:
www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Thanks Stump
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:59:14 AM EDT
Plasma's fifteeen minutes are almost up. They don't have the lifespan of other tv sets.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:06:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 8:08:43 AM EDT by Rock7]

Originally Posted By Grivo_Mak:
Plasma's fifteeen minutes are almost up. They don't have the lifespan of other tv sets.

By the time a Plasma reaches it's HALF life span you will probably be dead. Do some research.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:08:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 8:08:47 AM EDT by Stump]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:24:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 8:25:46 AM EDT by moneyshot]

By the time a Plasma reaches it's HALF life span you will probably be dead. Do some research.

Funny, Ive done MY reasearch and hes right, plasma is on the way out. Other technologies are emerging that make it less ideal.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:25:43 AM EDT

That's not true anymore, latest generation sets have a very long life span. Early generation sets, yes.

Panasonic for instance, the leader in Plasmas right now, are on their 8th generation panels right now. they have figured out the burn-in and life span issues and have reversed them.

I would not hesistate to buy a "new" generation panel from one of the "good" plasma builders.

What are the "good" plasma builders?

and TRH, he said, "Yo bizzy, the plasma tv's be the fo'sheezy ma'neezy. If's ya taint be gotten one, you be trippin, yo!"
Or at least thats what I think he said.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:26:13 AM EDT
do you NEED to hang it on the wall? Otherwise plasma/LCD is not worth the extra $$$ of RPLCD
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:28:00 AM EDT
Last year I purchased a Sony 55" WEGA (LCD). I've performed a cal on it and it's awesome.

Like with computers, technology advances and models change. You can chase technnology forever. Just determine which one you want and don't look back!

Spend some time pokin' around the AVS forum and go do it!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:30:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tyman:

and TRH, he said, "Yo bizzy, the plasma tv's be the fo'sheezy ma'neezy. If's ya taint be gotten one, you be trippin, yo!"

ah that clears it up.

man this smacks of Airplane!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:30:54 AM EDT
DLP!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:31:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:

ah that clears it up.

It got a little hazy at the end but I did my best.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:39:33 AM EDT
I just purchased the Sony 42" Grand Wega RPLCD, and it looks great in my bedroom. I just couldn't justify 2x the cost for a plasma.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:40:01 AM EDT
Plasma is the way to go. It's like most things. You get what you pay for. I have a 42" Panasonic HD Plasma Monitor. I could have gotten another plasma brand for 3 grand less. The electronics market is too competitive for companies to charge a lot more for a lessor product. Thing in this market that cost more do so because they deliver a better quality picture and have a longer service life. I will say that I saw a 50 Sony HD "DLP" WEGA that had a outstanding picture for around $3,200. Cheap Plasma TV'S are subject to more problems. A local resturant bar has a Panasonic Plasma that has not been turned off for over 4 years and has never had any problems or service calls. This is a $7,000 monitor. Again ,if you go plasma spend the money and buy a quality set. The "Gateway" units were pure junk", prime example.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:48:25 AM EDT
If you can afford it, plasmas will offer much much better image quality. Just walk into a CC or BB and take a look for yourself.

It is true that future technologies will make plasma obsolete, for instance the new flat-panel CRT technology that is in the works. However that is still years away from going commercial, and then still years away from that before they get the kinks worked out of the early models and they come down in price. So for the next 5-8 years, plasma will still be king.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:53:47 AM EDT
I looked at RPLCD and Plasma side-by-side at a high-end local chain (www.myer-emco.com/) and bought the RPLCD.

The Sony WEGA RPLCD had a comparable picture to the plasmas.

I don't need to hang it on the wall, so I saved a few grand and bought the RP.

Cost was no object.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:56:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 8:58:12 AM EDT by Stump]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:01:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:04:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:20:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 9:28:29 AM EDT by nightstalker]
I will say that the best bang for the buck is rear projection LCD. The only possible exception to this would be if you had a room that could be conveniently darkened (like a dedicated theater) then the DLP projectors and screens would be a very good choice.

The BEST HDTV PICTURE is CRT Tube TVs like the Toshiba, big and heavy yes, but also the best picture...period.

Beware of claims on HDTVs. Figure out what HDTV-ready means, also EDTV and how it's the lesser cousin of HDTV. AFAIK the top definition is 1080i, and although you will see some mention of 1080p, pay no attention to this, as you'll be buying into hype, not reality. reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-6449_16-6361600-1.html
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:25:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
DLP!

That was the decision my Brother in law just made.

He got a 62" Mitsubishi.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:04:12 AM EDT
I looked at the panasonic 37" plasma today
and the pic looked kind of grainy. [ or pixely]
I also looked at the Sony 37" LCD and that looked
way better than the plasma
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:10:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2006 12:26:26 PM EDT by fight4yourrights]

Originally Posted By ASUsax:

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
DLP!

That was the decision my Brother in law just made.

He got a 62" Mitsubishi.

That's what I got - their diamond line. Very nice unit.

32" LCD unit for the bedroom
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:24:26 PM EDT
I currently have a HDTV tube set.

Up until now I had been waiting for LCD's to become affordable and I would not touch a Plasma due to the problems the early sets had.

However, Plasma has come down in price so much and the picture quality is so outstanding that I fell it is not worth the extra expense to get an LCD or DLP.

Now I say get the Plasma and put the rest of the money you would have spend on an LCD in the bank. If the Plasma goes bad in 5-10 years, get another one with that money.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:26:32 PM EDT
I've had the Sony 55" Wega RPLCD for more than a year....the picture still amazes me from time to time. I thought the "WOW factor" would have worn off by now.

The ESPN Sunday NFL studio show is unreal - i.e. incredibly real.

I do not regret my purchase at all.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:28:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2006 12:29:07 PM EDT by roboman]

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:

ah that clears it up.

Excuse me Stewardess, I speak jive.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:36:07 PM EDT
Plasmas last longer now than earlier versions, but if the gas tubes go out the TV cannot be fixed. So if you get a bad TV and 4-5 years later it's out, you nedd a new set. The DLP uses a small bulp, like an overhead projector, that can easily be replaced without having to call a repairman to do it for you. That is one factor that leans me towards DLP.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:23:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:30:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:32:26 PM EDT

That's not true anymore, latest generation sets have a very long life span. Early generation sets, yes.

Panasonic for instance, the leader in Plasmas right now, are on their 8th generation panels right now. they have figured out the burn-in and life span issues and have reversed them.

I would not hesistate to buy a "new" generation panel from one of the "good" plasma builders.

+1, I did a lot of research between Panasonic and Sony...can't beat Panasonic for value and quality. I purchased a 37" Pana Plasma for my office, it is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:51:27 PM EDT

Good grief. "gas tubes and regassing the plasma" foolishness still lingers. There's NO SUCH thing. But plasma's can still suffer from burn in if you leave images up for days at a time with no screen saver (but it takes a lot to burn in and most have measures to cut the problem down significantly).

I've had a Panasonic Industrial model plasma sitting on my wall for three years now. My parents have a Panasonic industrial model also. Never a problem. At the time I bought it, it wass rated at a half-life brightness of 30,000 hours. They're now at 60,000 hours. Look at the TH-42PWD of TH-42-PHD models.

The top of the line are the Panasonic industrial models followed very closely by the Pioneer models.

If you want to get an idea of the proce range, the 42 inch EDTV models are down to 1300 and the 42 HDTV models hover around 2000. Plasma still beats LCD. LCD panels can't react quickly enough yet, so you may see a ghosting trail of an image that moves fast across the screen. Look for a plasma with good contrast and a wealth of signal input options for future expansion.

Check them out for yourself -

I recommend http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/plasmamfr.asp?MFR=Panasonic and www.mountsandmore.com

I've dealt with both twice. They're a reliable (not fly by night source) for several brands.

And yes, www.avsforum.com is an excellent place to research people who buy and love these all day. You'll see recurring themes on what's good and what's not from many people. Good luck.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:59:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By moneyshot:

Funny, Ive done MY reasearch and hes right, plasma is on the way out. Other technologies are emerging that make it less ideal.

according to the site posted above, plasma sets (new) are rated at 60,000 hours. At 8 hours a day, it will be 20 years before it reaches its loses 1/2 of it's brightness.
Before I read the FAQ of that site, I was against plasma. Now, I think I need to reconsider.
Top Top