Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 2:16:09 PM EDT
Came to visit my parents in Ventura County.  Its actually a very nice place.  Lots of agriculture in this area.   Lots of Mexicans working the fields.

But I can tell you one thing no American kid is going to want to work in these fields for what the workers get paid.

The beach was nice.  So was Magic Mountain.

86 degrees and sunny.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]
magic mountain: a small shining light in the middle of a cesspool.  how my family can live in the PRK is beyond me
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]
run east as fast as you can....you should hit either Nevada or Arizona at some point......then ( and only then ) will you be safe....
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Came to visit my parents in Ventura County.  Its actually a very nice place.  Lots of agriculture in this area.   Lots of Mexicans working the fields.

But I can tell you one thing no American kid is going to want to work in these fields for what the workers get paid.

Been There Done That
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Been There Done That

me too... and they can keep the stinkin' T-Shirt.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have a chance, go see the Reagan Library in Simi Valley.  You are not that far away.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

86 degrees and sunny.

Cool!  It's warm enough to wear your thongs down there
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#8]
take a drive up the 101 to Morro Bay and getcha some oysters!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#9]
If you really are in Oxnard then head on over to Saviors and 5th street to Super Taco or Nuevo Carmelita!

Good Mexican food, no habla english.

154 E 5th St,  Oxnard, CA 93030

And stop on by El Pollo Loco for me too.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:37:00 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want to kill an hour you can go to Missile Park off of Wood Road at NAS Point Mugu.
Pacific Coast Highway out of Oxnard heading south.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Mexico buffer zone
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Go visit the Swedish town of Solvang, a real tourist trap, but it is kind of nice.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Oxnard is really nice.

Enjoy your stay!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

86 degrees and sunny.

How long are you here?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
take a drive up the 101 to Morro Bay and getcha some oysters!

+1

I LOVE Morro Bay!

ETA: Or head South to Laguna or Newport Beach.

Planning on going to Disneyland?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#16]
We went to San Buenaventura beach.  Not crowded like the southern beaches.  It was nice.   I did pass the Naval station.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Go visit the Swedish town of Solvang, a real tourist trap, but it is kind of nice.

Solvang is Danish.

Swedes don't fabricate tourist traps*

*waves at DK-prof

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:02:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Solvang is Danish.

*waves at DK-prof

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:43:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Glad you come here to visit! The LA Autoshow is going on if your looking for something to do. 45 miniute drive. Im going this afternoon.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:33:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
magic mountain: a small shining light in the middle of a cesspool.

They had problems with Mexican gangs when we used to go there in high school in the mid 70's. I doubt it's any better today.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:20:33 AM EDT
[#21]
If you have time and like automobiles, head down to San Fernando / Sylmar to the Nethercutt Museum.

www.nethercuttcollection.org

This museum is very easy to get to from I-5.  There is map on the web site.

The valley between Ventura and Valencia is picturesque, but I'll bet it was awesome before all the people showed up.

ETA:  You get the auromobiles elsewhere in California.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If you have time and like auromobiles, head down to San Fernando / Sylmar to the Nethercutt Museum.

www.nethercuttcollection.org

This museum is very easy to get to from I-5.  There is map on the web site.

The valley between Ventura and Valencia is picturesque, but I'll bet it was awesome before all the people showed up.

Why drive all the way there, go to the Chandler Museum in Oxnard.

Otis Chandler Museum of Transportation and Wildlife
1421 Emerson Ave.
Oxnard, CA 93033    
805 486-5929

www.chandlerwheels.com/
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Why look at something when you can do something?  Surf is up!  Fishing boats are heading out!  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Solvang is Danish.

*waves at DK-prof

Google "Lindsborg, Kansas".

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
magic mountain: a small shining light in the middle of a cesspool.

They had problems with Mexican gangs when we used to go there in high school in the mid 70's. I doubt it's any better today.

Having just gone there within the past month.  It is better then it used to be.  Its no Disneyland but I would go there before knotts.  And I have been to all 3 parks within the last 3 months.
I am sure the gang issue is lessened by the sheriff's office outside the main gate (substation) and the metal detectors.  We had no problems at all....although once the sun went down the guest population changed to mostly punks....
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Solvang is Danish.

*waves at DK-prof

Lindsborg is a tasteful and sophisticated small town with an International flavor

See you at the next Hyllningsfest!

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:
Oxnard is really nice.

Enjoy your stay!

You obviously have not spent much time here
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

While you are there, re-live portions of the movie "Sideways".

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I can go to the gun store, buy an AR-15, and be out the door in 10 mins.

Try doing THAT in California!  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Keeps the Okies out don't it?

Morro (no W ) Bay btw go about an hour north on 101 toward Pt. Piedras Blancas by San Simeon all the big bull Elephant seals are on shore this time of year.

And umm most of the Farm Workers are unionized, remember Saint Cesar Chavez?  (Not that it did them all that much good)
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:23:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Solvang is Danish.

*waves at DK-prof

Kingsburg is CA's Swedish tourist trap
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:14:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keeps the Okies out don't it?

Or maybe I've *left* California and currently call OK home?  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Well you can always go up to the Mears BBQ and look at the seismograph.  hear tell they once had a 3.2 near there.  A little bit of home.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Why look at something when you can do something?  Surf is up!  Fishing boats are heading out!  

Dont eve THINK of surfing Ventura Pier!! that is unless you have a water proof Glock and know a bunch of Ocean Ninja Moves!
those mexicans will beat the shit out of you before you even put on your suit!
Good Luck, and ... oh wait, its Cali, you cant pack LOL!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#35]
yeah, too bad its in Kalifornia-stan.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#36]
The wife's grandfather started in Oxnard, fresh over from France.  Worked briefly for a guy named Knudsen delivering milk but felt the guy would not do well so he went into farming eventually for himself.  That guy was Knudsen of Knudsen Dairies but the grandfather ended up with a few bucks in farmland so he did well for a guy who started with nothing.  I've always like the area from Oxnard north, Santa Barbara, Santa Maria, San Luis Obispo and Monterrey.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top