Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 11:35:49 AM EDT
Well I picked up Battlefield 2 for the wife for her B-day (yes she likes those games and is in a clan). Got it home installed it.. Not enough memory.. she only has 256 meg the game needs 512 Meg min.

NP I pop the side of the case off. Being a Gateway, I figure they used regular cheep DDR. Well to my surprise they used RDRAM. Who in there right mind uses that over priced rambus stuff. Crap its at its cheapest its 45$ a 128 stick!

Well she has taken over my system till I can get hers going.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#1]
It'd be better to buy another computer. While RAMBUS is fast, its too overpriced. No one even uses it anymore.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It'd be better to buy another computer. While RAMBUS is fast, its too overpriced. No one even uses it anymore.

I can swap in a motherboard no problem.. All the other parts are good middle of the road for speed. Just trying to justify a MB+Mem to a mem only update. The unit was given to me so i'm not any cash to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey your wife is into BF2, I play MOHAA (Medal of Honor allied assualt). The Rambus was a intermeadiate step before DDR speeds came up. While you are doing a MB and Mem. upgrade might as well think about video card too. If the wife is a gamer she will be very happy with you. Pie...She may let buy more evil black rifle stuff.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#4]
You're both gamer geeks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You're both gamer geeks.

That was my thought too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:26:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well I picked up Battlefield 2 for the wife for her B-day (yes she likes those games and is in a clan). Got it home installed it.. Not enough memory.. she only has 256 meg the game needs 512 Meg min.

NP I pop the side of the case off. Being a Gateway, I figure they used regular cheep DDR. Well to my surprise they used RDRAM. Who in there right mind uses that over priced rambus stuff. Crap its at its cheapest its 45$ a 128 stick!

That is the good news…

Bad news is you have to put it in pairs… 2 sticks at a time so $90+ for 256MB or more than what you would pay for 1GB of current ram. You are better off getting a new motherboard and new ram or just waiting that sinking $100 in that dead end.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the good news…

Bad news is you have to put it in pairs… 2 sticks at a time so $90+ for 256MB or more than what you would pay for 1GB of current ram. You are better off getting a new motherboard and new ram or just waiting that sinking $100 in that dead end.

Ya I know! thats why the shock!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yep.  I can't even boost my 256 megs to the mobo max of 512 in any economically sound way.  

For the cost of a pair of 256 meg RDRAM 800 modules, I can buy a new motherboard, processor, and a gig of 400mhz DDR.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#9]
bf2 runs nice with 2 gigs of ddr2-800 @ 966
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hey your wife is into BF2, I play MOHAA (Medal of Honor allied assualt). The Rambus was a intermeadiate step before DDR speeds came up. While you are doing a MB and Mem. upgrade might as well think about video card too. If the wife is a gamer she will be very happy with you. Pie...She may let buy more evil black rifle stuff.

I play both (among other things), my clan runs servers for BF2, MOHAA, and CS:S/DoD:S.

To Fat_mcnasty:
BF2 is a HUGE resource hog, I have 1.25 GB of DDR and an ATI 9600XT (128mb) and I STILL have to run it at medium to low quality on800x600 to prevent crashing. Though my CPU is only 1.73 GHz (right above minimums)
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Crap its at its cheapest its 45$ a 128 stick!

What a whiner we are! I have paid a LOT more for memory than that before. After the big fire in the building where memory was made, memory prices went thru the roof! a 8 meg stick got as high as $60.00 for ( 1 ) 8 meg stick, and you had to have 2 of them!

That was expensive!!!Jeesh.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#12]
A new motherboard and some DDR would definitely be more cost effective.

Heck, you could sell the old memory and make some money back, lots of people still use that archiac shit and would probably love to buy used ram at a discount.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

512 to run BF2?

While it can be done, it isn't smart.

When talking memory for BF2, think in Gigabytes, young grasshopper.

45 bucks for 128 of RAM isn't that bad.

You ought to see what I payed for RAM in 1995.....

Still, overall it might be a good idea to look at an entire system upgrade. (Motherboard, video card, etc...)
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Get her on CoD2 and she can join the rest of the free world in whooping my ass.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Crap its at its cheapest its 45$ a 128 stick!

What a whiner we are! I have paid a LOT more for memory than that before. After the big fire in the building where memory was made, memory prices went thru the roof! a 8 meg stick got as high as $60.00 for ( 1 ) 8 meg stick, and you had to have 2 of them!

That was expensive!!!Jeesh.

Yup and I bet you walked to school in 4 feet of snow up hill both ways too...

I remember when 1 meg 30 pins hit the market.. And before that the large isa cards for the mem upgrades.. Doh! I have been at this too long..

But back to the point.. I found it odd that a system built by gateway in 2003 was outfitted with Rambus memory.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top